• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

Other then this logo i cannot find anything on the fan unit.
heaterlogo.jpg

I was thinking polestar, but their logo is not even close.
https://www.psp.uk.c...rifugal-blowers

#22 oldjoe

oldjoe

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

there was a simple cable and valve that fez did to replace the electronic controls.
Somewhere i still have unused electrical controls, but thats probably now lost to time under junk. 

#23 ICD

ICD

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

Thankyou to everyone who looked, especially to those that Pm,d help and offered alternatives.

All sorted now, I found a replacement and installed without too much swearing or dremmeling out old fittings.

#24 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

Could you list the type number you used, for future reference?

#25 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, performance fossil fuel burning

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:16 AM

One annoying thing I have is the fan often randomly comes on and flattens the battery. I bought a new relay and it made no difference so now I have to take the relay out to stop the fan working and if I get stuck on a motorway or in traffic, have to pull over and re insert the relay again. I was considering a simple switch to select the fan on and off manually. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

#26 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

With the Fez heater it's only a matter of time until the fan falls of the heater matrix. The fan motor is external to the fan itself and breaks the flimsy mounting very easily especially if the car is tracked.  I was wondering why the heater wasn't working and thought the suspension was just about to fall off, turns out it was the fan rolling around the compartment.

.9a5341aff77ad182b5c5f9b7e70b0020.jpg

Edited by Foxy_Jr, 01 February 2020 - 12:31 PM.

#27 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

Same  happened to mine i got a T7 heater now the best heater design by far  :tt:

#28 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:17 AM

Sorry I hope I haven't confused the issue, I meant the radiator fan keeps randomly coming on rather than the heating system fan unit, although the heating system fan unit only works on the highest setting and that's occasionally (normally when I don't want it to i.e. summer bearing in mind the heater setting is permanently hot, well fart warm) and doesn't work when I really need it (i.e.when it's cold and the windows are full of moisture from inside). Anything fan related seems to have a mind of its own on the car and do the opposite to what it should!

#29 ICD

ICD

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

Could you list the type number you used, for future reference?

I was very lucky, I was contacted by a good friend who had just replaced his (in good condotion) Fezz  for a T7, so his was redundant and taking up space and sitting on hthe work bench. So it was a simple plug and play with a bit of effort. This route save me lots of pounds, and a bit of time.

But also can confirm for anyone who should go down the T7 route, you do not need to take the top of dash off to install as in the instructions

(The T7 is a much stronger product it would seem both in action and build, having seen one in situ, probably twice as effective as the Fez)

With the Fez heater it's only a matter of time until the fan falls of the heater matrix. The fan motor is external to the fan itself and breaks the flimsy mounting very easily especially if the car is tracked.  I was wondering why the heater wasn't working and thought the suspension was just about to fall off, turns out it was the fan rolling around the compartment.

.9a5341aff77ad182b5c5f9b7e70b0020.jpg

Exactly this had happened to mine

I suggest to anyone if they have the opportunity is to ensure the heater can be taken out if needed.

2 out of the 4 fixing screws had to be dremelled out to release the housing and get out. So little room to work with as the space is minimal.

Virtually impossible to 100% make these good after releasing the old, so new fitting is only using 2 fixtures.

I suggest that when replacing use same metal fittings, (or if you have time to take out and refit and do some cleaning),  ensure all are greased up well to allow easier effort to get out again if needed. It seems over time, everyones will need doing.

Also gaffer tape all the joins of any heater where possible to give a bit more strength and longevity. They all get brittle, especially the fan housing

From what Foxy Jr describes, It suggests that the Fez  heater has about a 7 year shelf life before breaking up. Similar to the water bottle has around 4-5 years in my experience of what ever you do, apart from replace with a tin one.

p.s. The good thing was the battery came out in less than 60 seconds

#30 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:32 PM

But also can confirm for anyone who should go down the T7 route, you do not need to take the top of dash off to install as in the instructions

That sounds very tempting. 
So true one-on-one replacement for existing?

#31 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

That sounds very tempting. 
So true one-on-one replacement for existing?

The T7 heater doesn't use the electronic controller like the Fezz heaters did, so no need to replace the heater control knob. 

You do need to take the dash off if you want to fit the supplied cable, but you can reuse the existing manual 'flap' cable for the flow isolation valve (assuming its in decent condition and not corroded).

#32 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

Where I have a Few heater now, are the cables from the original heater in place to enable me to run a T7?

#33 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

I’m about to make the change. So will let you know. If anyone wants my old Fez heater they are more than welcome.

You will need to have kept the old mechanical knob and wire which was removed in the fez installation.

#34 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

so the fan drops off , okay that explains something on mine , lots of air movement in the compartment, but bugger all output

#35 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

So effectively I am stuffed for making the transition to the T7 unit and have to put up with the situation as I no longer have the original cables 🙄

#36 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

Sorry just read they supply a cable.......assume it will be a case of re connection and hey presto a heater again and no coolant smell.

Can anyone advise as to;

1. Why the heater fan works when it feels like it and only on position 4? It literally is a lottery if it decides to fart warm air out

2. Why the radiator fan just decides to switch on randomly (in the middle of the night) and flatten the battery.

3. Do Lotus deliberately specify 'flakeness' as a positive requirement when they procure parts supplies?

#37 ICD

ICD

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

so the fan drops off , okay that explains something on mine , lots of air movement in the compartment, but bugger all output

I,m sure you would have checked, but make sure the air hose hasnt jumped its (large) jubilee clips at either end, very easy to come loose if it hasnt been put on corectly and tightened due to lack of space.

Found that this was a 2 man job to keep clips in place when tightening to be 100% of then locating deep enough. The ridge from the heater box / fan and also into the passenger compartment could do with being at least a full centimeter rather than just about the height of the clip itself.

#38 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

I,m sure you would have checked, but make sure the air hose hasnt jumped its (large) jubilee clips at either end, very easy to come loose if it hasnt been put on corectly and tightened due to lack of space.

Found that this was a 2 man job to keep clips in place when tightening to be 100% of then locating deep enough. The ridge from the heater box / fan and also into the passenger compartment could do with being at least a full centimeter rather than just about the height of the clip itself.

checked output from top of fez box, its minimal.

need to workout easiest way to clamp off water circuit for removal.

#39 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

I have the one and only Clifton 3000 heater installed in mine. It’s like a furnace and should last for ever. Sorry for gloating, but perhaps if enough people ask he could be persuaded to make a production run.

What say you Johnboyhgt? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tempting Neil, but I cant be arsed  :D

#40 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

Sorry just read they supply a cable.......assume it will be a case of re connection and hey presto a heater again and no coolant smell.

Can anyone advise as to;

1. Why the heater fan works when it feels like it and only on position 4? It literally is a lottery if it decides to fart warm air out

2. Why the radiator fan just decides to switch on randomly (in the middle of the night) and flatten the battery.

3. Do Lotus deliberately specify 'flakeness' as a positive requirement when they procure parts supplies?

Yep, you need to reinstall the cable. However, if you are just looking for warm air for the time being, you can simply move the valve manually to hot (if you CBA installing the cable now).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users