Photo

A Few Words (or Pictures) Of Warning....

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

im guessing the 105 deg temp was due to you carrying that large guy pictured under the sign then matey :rolleyes:

#22 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

Posted Image

:unsure: are either of these water? :unsure: :rolleyes: sorry i know nothing :beat:

Available in two formats, both retain the dashboard coolant level indicator as on standard Vauxhall tanks.

Both tanks have the choice of either a screw style cap or a radiator style cap, the radiator style cap enables an upgrade to a higher psi cap for track days if required.

:rolleyes: :blink: :beat:

Edited by iceman, 19 June 2005 - 11:21 PM.

#23 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:24 PM

im guessing the 105 deg temp was due to you carrying that large guy pictured under the sign  then matey  :rolleyes:

;) :unsure: he's got the matching tea-shirt on :D

#24 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

Had a look at mine (02 plate) and it's crazed and yellowed all over the top. Time for a new one here too :( Better go off and order one ASAP lest the "back-order" curse commence ;) Ben

#25 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:03 AM

There have been a few failures now - don't think the plastic is UV stable.

That was my view. I drove around with the hole for two to three months if it does fail it is not catastrophic

#26 CupidKnewRap

CupidKnewRap

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:15 AM

Would painting it be a problem? Mines sprayed in silver enamel; not going to be a UV problem and it looks better.

#27 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

well,

replaced mine this morning thumbsup then went for a 120 mile blat around wales to make sure all was well....

POP to do....nay worries

I did this:-

disconnected the breather (top) pipe

disconnected the tank retaining clip (go careful not to break the plastic of the bottle)

remove the expansion tank from its holding brackets and lower it underneath the upper fitting where the clip is (any body who has fitted a viper will understand this)

disconnect the feed pipe (20mm ish one) if you do this right and have the expansion tank in the right place you wont lose any of the existing fluid...

disconnect the flow sensor...simple twist and unlock

the re-fit is the haynes manual classic 'do the reverse' i then emptied what was left in the old expansion tank into the new one..

I ran it for a couple of minutes and squeezed the pipes to clear any air pockets...nay worries

like i said..POP thumbsup i only needed half a glass of distilled water to top the fokka up B)

Thanks for that - although I'm still not much wiser! I'll have to take a look and see if it makes more sense :D

#28 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

I've just fitted my new header tank:

Posted Image

I genuinely thought my coolant was orange. Turns out it's pink! :D

Here's an enhanced photo of a section of my old tank. This sort of crazing appears all over the top:

Posted Image

:blink:

Ben

#29 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:58 AM

My fluid is deffo orange.... and your tank looks mucho fcukto :unsure:

#30 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:06 AM

and your tank looks mucho fcukto :unsure:

Yep, bit of a ticking bomb there. For the sake of £20 I think everyone should go and check their header tank to see what state it's in.

Ben

#31 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:09 AM

and your tank looks mucho fcukto  :unsure:

Yep, bit of a ticking bomb there. For the sake of £20 I think everyone should go and check their header tank to see what state it's in.

Ben

yep,

Its no surprise that these failures are happening at the start of the summer ;)

/thanks fook he got his before the mad rush :P

#32 CupidKnewRap

CupidKnewRap

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:12 AM

:blink: chipped the enamel off mine, :blink: seems it hasn't helped.. starting to craze :( . How could it be more UV damaged after eighteeen months of being coated in silver paint? :unsure:

#33 Smiler

Smiler

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:27 AM

you painted ya tank ? Ratspants.. ya coolant tanks clean.. now for the rest of the engine bay!!!! :lol:

#34 Dave

Dave

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:50 AM

I've just fitted my new header tank:

OOOOH Blimey :o your old one was carazy. Surpised it didnt fall apart into a million different bits.

Must check if my new one has arrived.....how long did it take to fit Ben?

Dave

#35 fluffy

fluffy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:17 AM

Me and my Dad did mine yesterday am before I left for work. Took 20 -25 minutes tops. Just be sure to notice the probe stuck in the bottom of the old one and remove that carefully. Also try not to let to much coolant splash inside the engine bay.

#36 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:01 AM

Ratspants..  ya coolant tanks clean.. now for the rest of the engine bay!!!!  :lol:

Boo! :)

OOOOH Blimey  :o your old one was carazy. Surpised it didnt fall apart into a million different bits.

Must check if my new one has arrived.....how long did it take to fit Ben?

I did ramp up the contrast and sharpness of the photo to highlight the crazing, it's a bit more difficult to see in a photo unless you're in the right light or something. Mine arrived the day after I ordered it from Joe-Monkey Vauxhall dealer, I think it is a common one with the Vectra or something. Took me about 45mins to fit - yeah, I know it shouldn't take that long but I like to be carefull! :) I couldn't work the tank down below the bracket so I syphoned out the coolant and then lifted it out from the top. The big tube at the bottom is a bit tricky as there's not much room and the wire to the sensor is short so be careful - I unplugged the cable early on and then removed the sensor itself once I had removed the old tank.

Do you reckon putting some factor 30 on the new tank will help? :D

Ben

#37 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:41 AM

So what are we saying that if you have a murkly colour overflow tank you should change it :blink: Mine is quite dark but I do check the water levels regularly and it seems to sit at the same level all the time after various types of driving thumbsup So do I change or not if I have no real problem? John.

#38 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:00 AM

So what are we saying? That if you have a murky colour overflow tank you should change it?  :blink:

It's a matter of checking the condition of the plastic rather than it's colour. Pay particular attention to the plastic at the top where the small tube joins the tank - I think this is the common failure point? If the plastic is looking crazed or cracked then it's far cheaper to replace the tank pre-emptively than worry about it when the car is wildly overheating because the tank has failed :(

Ben

Edited by Ratspants, 04 July 2005 - 08:05 AM.

#39 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:10 AM

So what are we saying that if you have a murkly colour overflow tank you should change it :blink:
Mine is quite dark but I do check the water levels regularly and it seems to sit at the same level all the time after various types of driving thumbsup
So do I change or not if I have no real problem?

John.

John,

Its just like ratpants said....

when we stopped at that garage I noticed mine was leaking from somewhere (subsequently noted it was underneath the small pipe)

Hence me not carrying on the the end meet of the chase ;) thumbsup

#40 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

Hence me not carrying on the the end meet of the chase  ;)  thumbsup

And i thought it was because you wanted to relive your childhood memories in Christchurch :P

Mine has some very minor hair line cracks on top, another thing to replace in near future :rolleyes: thumbsup

Edited by Sicey, 04 July 2005 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users