#7861 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

A bit deep - and I know others have felt this to a closer extent

My manager, for getting on for 25 years left on sickness late last year. He was due to retire anyway so I guess I didn't really take too much notice as the
management structure was revised and he wasn't gong to be replaced

I heard last week (without any direct reference to doing so) he's committed suicide. Apparently he didn't think there was much worth going on for

I worked with the bloke 8 hours a day for 25 years and I just never considered it possible. He left a wife, kids and grand children. I'm sat here reflecting,
Shaking my head at why he thought life was so bloody bad

Jesus christ I dont know what to make of it all. Funeral Weds. :(

TBH I think I'll just leave this post on a small corner of the internet to let the poor chap i'm thinking of him

So RIP mate. So sad our last conversation didn't help you

:(

#7862 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

Was his illness terminal? Might have had some bearing on his decision.

Edited by Sutol, 30 June 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#7863 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Nope - no terminal illness he just was depressed because of impending retirement/ feeling of worthlessness/ some sort of major anxiety/ depression...

Led to suicide

His house was uber perfect, something we would all aspire to. Last time I spoke to him he said everything was rubbish and he felt he thought everbody thought it was rubbish

#7864 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

Mates brother did it a few years ago. Full 22 years in the Navy, moved onto a good job, beautiful wife and kids. Nissan GTR in the garage and seemingly nothing wrong. Hung himself one day.

#7865 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:14 AM

Heard of this sort of thing several times now, always terribly sad and a complete waste. 

Problem is nobody prepares for retirement, it's just something that happens, a word on the agenda to deal with in the future.  So, chaps, start thinking and make a plan.  Think about all the things you never quite had time for or always wanted to do but never got round to.  I suspect the problem doesn't apply to most of the people on this forum, petrolheads are usually fully committed to all sorts of how to fix it problems in the garage but the vast majority seem to have nothing going on in their heads at all.  We see them here, sitting in the Café, just passing time, wishing their lives away.  It may seem a long way away but start planning now, get your pensions in order and get your to do list sorted.  I retired 17 years ago and I can honestly say I have never been busier! 

#7866 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

It may seem a long way away but start planning now, get your pensions in order and get your to do list sorted. 

Interesting note on pensions, i am not sure they will even be a sensible state pension when i retire and all i hear from the gov is start preparing for retirement, trouble is, if i want to invest any money in property as a pension fund, they are starting to have your pants down in tax even more so than just capital gains, if you want people to provide for themselves in their old age, stop taxing the life out of it!!

#7867 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

SOLICITORS

Not mine this time but the vendors. Bought a house to flip at auction, no contact made by vendors solicitor following auction for two weeks with my solicitor chasing. Finally made contact and then cant be arsed to hurry with necessary documents. Completion on Monday 9th july. It isnt as tho there is much for solicitors to do regards auction properties as you have already exchanged on the fall of the hammer and are committed. arrrrgh. :angry:

#7868 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

The brainless brigade who are now telling us that the current bout of warm weather is down to global warning.

Get a brain you useless idiots, what happened in 1976 then, was it global warming then? If so why did it wait 42 years to return!

#7869 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:23 PM

The brainless brigade who are now telling us that the current bout of warm weather is down to global warning.

Get a brain you useless idiots, what happened in 1976 then, was it global warming then? If so why did it wait 42 years to return!

They'll be telling us that The Medieval Warm Period and The Little Ice Age that followed it and The Roman Warm Period 1000 years before were caused by everyone running round in V8's using leaded petrol :D

Edited by fiveoclock, 04 July 2018 - 07:24 PM.

#7870 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

People confuse weather with Global warming. Although the things are connected its main effect is seasonal shift rather than individual weather events.

#7871 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

The brainless brigade who are now telling us that the current bout of warm weather is down to global warning!

Similarly when we had all that snow at the start of the year, people saying global warming doesn't exist look how cold it is.

It's just weather. A good analogy I heard was someone standing in the shower believing its raining outside, or conversely standing inside in the dry when its pouring down outside believing it is not.

#7872 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

The brainless brigade who are now telling us that the current bout of warm weather is down to global warning!

Similarly when we had all that snow at the start of the year, people saying global warming doesn't exist look how cold it is.

Nah, the brainless brigade then changed from global warming to climate change.

This is when you realise that people with no real knowledge just jump on to a bandwagon but can’t remember which one they jumped on😄

Agree though, it’s just weather and history shows that weather comes & goes in cycles over the years. The current bandwagon brigade, in addition to not being able to explain 1976, also don’t even know of the East Coast floods in 1953

Edited by PaulCP, 04 July 2018 - 08:26 PM.

#7873 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

That's not exactly true. The change came about from the US congress, lobbied by the coal and oil industries because it was thought the phrase global warming was damaging to their interests.

#7874 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

The term global warming was just giving the British population false hope :D

#7875 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

😄 one of the guys at work was saying he couldn't wait for global warming to make England as warm as Spain. I had to explain that the global in global warming sort of gives it away. It's not country warming, or city warming.

#7876 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:04 AM

So I take my coffee outside the caff to sit at a table in the sun and up sidles two old women, one of whom whom wedges herself between the table and a spare chair my tablet is on and nods at it.  So, being an easy going type of person but thinking to myself 'You could at least be polite enough to ask' I move my tablet and they both sit down.  Then they both get out cigarettes and start smoking upwind of me.  Then a woman with her daughter and a pram turn up, start talking to the old women and then sit down at one spare chair and take another from another table.  Then there's a smell of burning plastic, one of the old women is sitting there with the fag in her hand pressed against her handbag, burning a hole in it and she doesn't even notice.  Then two more women turn up and pull up chairs so there are six women at my table and one mentions coffee and the others all say 'No', they've all had coffee at the caff up the street where it's much cheaper.  Then four more women turn up and stand talking to the six at the table and no-one but me has actually paid for anything, they're just using my table as a meeting place.  I sit there gobsmacked by the cheek of these people.

#7877 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:11 AM

This is when you realise that people with no real knowledge just jump on to a bandwagon but can’t remember which one they jumped on😄

Agree though, it’s just weather and history shows that weather comes & goes in cycles over the years. The current bandwagon brigade, in addition to not being able to explain 1976, also don’t even know of the East Coast floods in 1953

Being an older but still more youthful than many of you, type of guy, I remember it being hot as fcuk when I was at primary school in the 80's..... and also that it snowed properly/got cold enough to freexe the portacabin toilets :lol:

#7878 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

Talking weather, when forecasters describe a handful of days of nice weather as a heatwave!

And

Feature programmes on tv about the "beast from the east" because we have had a few days snow.

Edited by Jetpilot, 05 July 2018 - 11:45 AM.

#7879 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

Being an older but still more youthful than many of you, type of guy, I remember it being hot as fcuk when I was at primary school in the 80's..... and also that it snowed properly/got cold enough to freexe the portacabin toilets :lol:

1962/3.  Coldest winter since mid 1700s and worst winter in 100 years.  Ice a foot thick on the lakes, water pipes frozen a foot under ground, only a kid but I loved every minute of it.  And summer 1976 as mentioned. 

#7880 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

christians - is that bad?

Oh I dunno, they had a couple of good songs 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users