65 replies to this topic

#41 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

You cannot get much more linear than that... thumbsup

Hmmm... Maybe I should postpone my LSJ engine swap.. Just mount the sc on my 2,2 and give Courtenay a call. :rolleyes:

If you are selling your LSJ (even without the charger thing), I am very interested.
Looking for at least a bottom end and head, even without anything in them for the next step of our engine ;)

#42 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

You cannot get much more linear than that... thumbsup

Hmmm... Maybe I should postpone my LSJ engine swap.. Just mount the sc on my 2,2 and give Courtenay a call. :rolleyes:

If you are selling your LSJ (even without the charger thing), I am very interested.
Looking for at least a bottom end and head, even without anything in them for the next step of our engine ;)

Will be not for sale, as I have it complete with ECU. Good engine for some extensive mods... :)
But:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=160249221754
(2nd time it's on ebay. No buyers)

You probably better off searching for a bare Saab 9.3 2.0T engine, as it is (almost) the same....

#43 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Much better price here thumbsup

#44 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

/band wagon jumper. I'm not sure how much longer i can hold my CreditC back. So a little more information on the alternative SC set-up would be very much apreciated.

#45 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Who's going to volunteer to call them up tomorrow and get the nitty gritty I'm sure they won't appreciate 10 people phoning to ask the same questions :rolleyes:

#46 Shamone

Shamone

• PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Cars-VX220- Focus ST-Mini Cooper S - Bikes-Honda Hornet - Skiing

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

I have emailed them yesterday, what are they usually like in responding to them? I did get an automated reply, saying they aim to reply within 24 hours. Perhaps I should ring too!

#47 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

Well volunteered chinky chinky

#48 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

Heard recently that they were now able to program the 2,2 ECU and adjust the timing/fuelling for the SC. Sooooo much better than the piggyback and decompression plate. Would love to see some graphs of this. chinky chinky [/quote] This should be good news for all the people with the 2.2 not just those going for a SC upgrade! chinky chinky

#49 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

Would love to see some graphs of this.

Go back one page then :rolleyes:

Edited by NickB777, 16 June 2008 - 08:46 AM.

#50 Karlosfandango

Karlosfandango

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

Is this correct that they can adjust fuelling on the 2.2? I've been contacting them on and off for a month regarding this and told they couldn't do it. They were supposed to let me know when it was possible.

#51 Shamone

Shamone

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Here's the reply I got from Jon, who I happened to phone too!

Thanks for your enquiry, the cost of the supercharger at this time is £5425, however in the next week or two the price could be dropping to a few hundred pounds, due to some new advances we have made with the conversion. I will let you know when this happens as I am still looking at these costings.

The Stage 2 does need to be done with a full system such as the Larini, Milltek etc, as the back pressure would be to great on the standard system. We have not done a conversion with the Vauxhall Sports System since the very early development days. At this time the conversion was only 205 bhp so I could not tell you if it would have made 240 bhp. One thing was for sure though, it was way to noisy with a sports cat section, so it was removed and replaced with a Milltek tailbox.
The last car we converted was fitted with a Larini, the pipework on this car was 2.5" and this sounded much less restrictive, whilst the Milltek at only 2" bore does sound a bit strangled, like a jet fighter. That's not to put the Milltek down in any way (I have fitted to my own car) in fairness they just probably did not have 240+ bhp in mind when it was developed, so it is now on the limit at these bhp figures.

Our turn around on this job is 1 week, at this time we are taking bookings for the 28th July onwards and we don't have a limit on credit cards. The standard clutch and flywheel is more than capable with this conversion as long as it is in serviceable condition. One of the first cars we did (Paul CP) is still on his original, 3 years and many track days later.
With regard to costly surprises, the only problems that can arise now the cars are a bit older is that the securing bolts holding the clam can get seized. We allow 4 hours to remove the clam but have had a car that took us 9 hours to get the clam off! We are also seeing more cars needing the top engine mounts however this is a known VX component issue. Other than that if the car is well maintained there should be no real surprises.

I hope this address's all your questions, if you think of more please feel free to email me or give me a call.

Regards Jon Shield

Oh yeah and I've booked it in for the 4th August, just couldn't wait :jump:

#52 Karlosfandango

Karlosfandango

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

'Cost dropping to a few hundred pounds' How legally binding is en email ? :lol:

#53 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

'Cost dropping to a few hundred pounds'

How legally binding is en email ? :lol:

:yeahthat:

Gotta be a typo - but sincerely hoping it's not!!

#54 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:31 PM

i think he meant 'by' rather than to.

#55 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

'Cost dropping to a few hundred pounds'

How legally binding is en email ? :lol:

:yeahthat:

Gotta be a typo - but sincerely hoping it's not!!

Their SC conversion should be (a lot) less labour intensive now, considering:
- no head removal to fit decompression plate
- no implementation of the piggyback ECU in the VX wiring

But will still involve:
- re-mount alternator with extra idler pulley
- install SC + manifold + coolant plumbing
- install bigger injectors
- install + wire coolant pump
- install heat exchanger at front + install tubing "back to front"
- probably re-wire + mount some extra sensors/solenoids
- map ECU
- Almost forgot the exhaust work when needed....

Still a lot of labour intensive work, so...
Conversion kit with ECU reflash service for the DIY market? :rolleyes:

Edited by Exmantaa, 16 June 2008 - 12:44 PM.

#56 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

Is this correct that they can adjust fuelling on the 2.2? I've been contacting them on and off for a month regarding this and told they couldn't do it. They were supposed to let me know when it was possible.

not grinding my axe at anyone inparticular here. But you will find that with about 90% of the Aftermarket Automotive world (and even some that are in sporting too). Get used to it and accept you need to badger them rather than vice versa.

Sounds like they have made the much needed steps forward with the S/C development. I'd hazzrd a guess that bar killing off the rods, that the existing decomp fitted kits would make more power/torque with a new style of remap... kinda like a stg2+ or something.
well done.

#57 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:51 PM

Here's the reply I got from Jon, who I happened to phone too!

We allow 4 hours to remove the clam but have had a car that took us 9 hours to get the clam off!

Oh yeah and I've booked it in for the 4th August, just couldn't wait :jump:

Hmmm. Think that might have been my front clam. :blush:

#58 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

Conversion kit with ECU reflash service for the DIY market?

:D thumbsup

#59 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Sounds like they have made the much needed steps forward with the S/C development. I'd hazzrd a guess that bar killing off the rods, that the existing decomp fitted kits would make more power/torque with a new style of remap... kinda like a stg2+ or something.
well done.

Not so sure if the old decompressed SC's will bring more power with just a remap... (Rods out of the equation!) Looking to this torque graph I cannot see much what can be improved. thumbsup

The SC's "curves" are mainly determined by the SC pulley and the breathing of the engine (exhaust, headwork, cams) A lower compression will allow for higher boost without detonation, so then a smaller SC pulley and optimised map can yield some more power.
(But this probably will also work well with the standard 10:0 compression. In the GM Ecotec build book for a 300HP engine, the 9.5:1 LSJ's standard compression was RAISED to 10.0:1...)

Problem is that the M62 efficiency drops significantly with increased boost and extra intercooling capacity will be necessary. Therefore I like the idea of standard compression with slightly lower boost. Especially on a light car like the VX. I think it will give a bit more efficient, and maybe also a bit more responsive engine...

Now increase the rev's and the breathing on this thing!! :closedeyes:

#60 Shamone

Shamone

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

Before my car goes in for the SC conversion in August I'm considering fitting these stage one comp cams that I had already bought.

http://www.allecotec...products_id=137

Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,600-6,800
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 210
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 212
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 210 int./212 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 252
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 256
Advertised Duration: 252 int./256 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.423 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.419 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.423 int./0.419 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 111

Does anyone think there will be an issue?

Cheers Simon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users