• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

So you're saying the plastic cover doesn't come with 2 hats?!! :rolleyes: Seriously, you've made your point well. Shiny is definitely better! thumbsup

#42 rich_r

rich_r

• PipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

lets do a little comparison

Posted Image

Does the matching hat and cap make you the coolest boy in the group? :P

Edited by rich_r, 27 November 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#43 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

i know i posted up that if no1 can see it then why bother but.. 1. you can see it through the grills. 2. it also acts as a ingress kit. 3. its not going to overheat and yes im aware its winter, but if i can sit in traffic for an hour and the temp stays at 91degrees with or without the engine cover on, it really isnt hindering it at all in winter is it, if it was soooo bad then surley it would of risen 1 or 2 degrees more. ( i will check temps in summer but i doubt a 2mm piece of plastic is going to to anything at all. i dont like to see all the engine bits personally, i mean lets face it we have a 2.2 standard astra engine, who wants to see that? i mean what exactly is there to show off? yea the polished one looks nice but im not going to waste my time and money on something that has NO benifit other than looking good. i think having this cover on takes away the untidyness of the engine bay and keeps it cleaner looking, but thats just me.

Edited by chris_uk, 27 November 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#44 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

and yes im aware its winter, but if i can sit in traffic for an hour and the temp stays at 91degrees with or without the engine cover on, it really isnt hindering it at all in winter is it, if it was soooo bad then surley it would of risen 1 or 2 degrees more. ( i will check temps in summer but i doubt a 2mm piece of plastic is going to to anything at all.

I wouldnt be so sure :dry: The thickness of the plastic isnt going to be what causes an increase in heat build up, it would be the fact that it is stopping air flowing away from the engine. If you just want it as an ingress kit then fair enough, nice try, it might work. But as others have said, I would also be concerned about extra heat.

... looks nice but im not going to waste my time and money on something that has NO benifit other than looking good.

I'm not going to trawl through threads to pick up on points (so I might be wrong here) but havent you painted your wheels black? Or does that give a performance increase? And I am guessing you have one of those Turbo spoilers for its massive effect on downforce? (PS, It doesnt have any fcuking effect on downforce!)

i think having this cover on takes away the untidyness of the engine bay and keeps it cleaner looking, but thats just me.

I thought you didnt care what it looks like :huh: and while we are at it, I'd fit a boot carpet if you are concerned about looks as you open your bonnet to show off ;)

#45 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

yea i painted my wheels black, but i can see wheels and the outside and it looks better and sets it apart from the majority of other vx's.. and i did paint all my suspension yes, aswell as wrapping the coilovers in tape to stop crap getting on the threads.. but things on the outside i can see, so i want something that looks pleasing.. aswell as things being taken care of. i can take my coilovers off now and they look brand new. the reason there is no carpet in there is because its in the garage, as i had water come in and it was left to dry off, it got put to the back of the garage and i havent yet put it back in.. i wasnt prepaired to pay £££'s for an ingress cover when i can get one of these covers and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt, every thing looks neat and tidy serves a purpose, quite well. i can only wait and see what sort of a difference this is going to make, im doing a 5 hour journey tomorrow and ill see what temps i get to then, but i dont think that its going to effect it.. i can see the theory behind what you are saying, i did think about it when i bought it, but i like to try and test things for myself. ill just see how it goes, hopefully i can do somthing to it to make it look abit better through the grill..

#46 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:12 AM

Seriously, you've made your point well. Shiny is definitely better! thumbsup

Matt black for the win!
Posted Image

#47 n1k_ns

n1k_ns

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:Date Of VX First Registration: 01/03/2002

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thats one shiny enine bay JG! Imnotworthy

As for mine, (as far as looks go) the engine cover would be a massive improvement!, my engine bay looks pants, it has also suffered water ingress before.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I have no idea on the heat issue, will keep watching this space :)

#48 drpau

drpau

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

lets do a little comparison

Posted Image

JG the polished rocker cover looks good, did you do that in situ?

#49 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:24 AM

:yeahthat:

#50 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

i would just like to report some findings, i went to cardiff last night engine temp never went about 91 tiny bit of traffic. on the way back i was stuck in a traffic jam for 90 mins, engine temp was at 97 highest. after the jam, same as the journey down, 90-91

#51 j0n

j0n

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • Interests:vx220
    Juggling

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

i would just like to report some findings, i went to cardiff last night engine temp never went about 91 tiny bit of traffic.

on the way back i was stuck in a traffic jam for 90 mins, engine temp was at 97 highest.

after the jam, same as the journey down, 90-91

In that case im gonna hunt one down next week.

#52 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

dont forget that its winter tho, and in summer the car will melt due to the heat not being able to escape.. just messing, after today im sure that the temps in the summer might reach, well probably will reach the 100 mark, but the fan kicks in as standard at 106 so it should be perfectly fine.. i am tempted to make up a ambiant temp gauge so i can get a definate temp reading in the engine bay, that way i can test with and without the cover over the top.

#53 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

I'm genuinly glad that you're happy with the results of both the fitting and the temps but if it were me (and it's not, so i say this respectfully) i'd be very concerned with restricting the airflow into and through the engine bay. It'll be more of an issue in summer and more of an issue come prolonged hard driving but the hot air is sucked/passed between the vents in the undertray (iirc) and the mesh in the boots lid. The mod you have installed will restrict that flow considerably, maybe forcing it into an almost swirl effect (which by chasing it's own tail coulld add heat friction of it's own accord) but then you pays your money and takes your choice. I sincerely hope you've made the right one thumbsup . The very best of luck :grouphug:

#54 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

cool cheers, i have the tubby vents on the side and they do alow alot of airflow into the engine bay, and i did notice the heatwaves pouring out the vents when i looked behind me, so at least some will be escaping. i will make up the temp gauge tomorrow once i take a trip to maplins and see what the temps really are.

#55 Sol

Sol

• Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football,Sailing, Golf.
    My Car.

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

This might offend some of you. If so I’m pleased! I’m fed up with some of the ‘holier than thou’ group that always know best, being negative about other VX owner’s modifications to their cars. I believe the attraction of the VX is that it is a very good car to modify in such a way as to make it your own, whether it is full race for track sessions, a sports touring, or full leather luxury etc. Some might even like to leave it standard just as it came out of the factory. The point is the interest, enjoyment and satisfaction comes from playing with them and calling them ‘Your car’. Modifying the car shows interest in it. Some changes might not be the best but if you get upset with the modifications that others do or can’t say something constructive about the changes made, then please keep your often offensive views to yourself! Sol. :rolleyes:

#56 carlton x

carlton x

• PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:cars football music

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

This might offend some of you. If so I’m pleased!
I’m fed up with some of the ‘holier than thou’ group that always know best, being negative about other VX owner’s modifications to their cars.
I believe the attraction of the VX is that it is a very good car to modify in such a way as to make it your own, whether it is full race for track sessions, a sports touring, or full leather luxury etc. Some might even like to leave it standard just as it came out of the factory.
The point is the interest, enjoyment and satisfaction comes from playing with them and calling them ‘Your car’.
Modifying the car shows interest in it. Some changes might not be the best but if you get upset with the modifications that others do or can’t say something constructive about the changes made, then please keep your often offensive views to yourself!

Sol. :rolleyes:

well said mate thumbsup

#57 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:32 PM

:( Sorry from me :grouphug:

#58 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

This might offend some of you. If so I’m pleased!
I’m fed up with some of the ‘holier than thou’ group that always know best, being negative about other VX owner’s modifications to their cars.
I believe the attraction of the VX is that it is a very good car to modify in such a way as to make it your own, whether it is full race for track sessions, a sports touring, or full leather luxury etc. Some might even like to leave it standard just as it came out of the factory.
The point is the interest, enjoyment and satisfaction comes from playing with them and calling them ‘Your car’.
Modifying the car shows interest in it. Some changes might not be the best but if you get upset with the modifications that others do or can’t say something constructive about the changes made, then please keep your often offensive views to yourself!

Sol. :rolleyes:

open forum. everyone's entitled to an opinion. its your car do what you like with it but if you post pics people will comment good and bad. if you're happy with it, who cares. grow a backbone. next we'll be playing non-competitive sport in schools.......

#59 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

who cares. grow a backbone. next we'll be playing non-competitive sport in schools.......

:D

#60 n1k_ns

n1k_ns

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:Date Of VX First Registration: 01/03/2002

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

Since mine is sitting outside until better weather and/or i can get the garage cleared out, i got myself one of these badboys :)

IMO they look way better than the std 2.2 (unless your name is JG) and if the others report heat problems its only a 25 second job to remove :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users