83 replies to this topic

#21 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

Don't fancy sitting in traffic with that on my engine !

On the past 2 occassions i've been in France I've had engine temps up at 110 regularly.

This might also be a good time to say my car lives outside and hasn't had a water ingress problem - but if i was worried i'd buy a car cover over one of them i'm afraid.

I'd be worried about temps too!!!!!!

Also...... looks GASH! imo

#22 boghouse

boghouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Anything fast or dangerous, motorsport, seeing the world....

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

[quote name='chris_uk' date='Nov 26 2008, 15:06 ' post='812344']
why should it be a problem? it sits on the astra which is incased in a metal bonnet and thats fine.

Fibreglass keeps heat in way more than metal. It does look good but not sure i'd go that way myself purely on the heat issue

#23 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

ill have to just monitor it then, if it gets too hot ill have to get rid, but i dont think it will be a problem

#24 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:07 PM

why should it be a problem? it sits on the astra which is incased in a metal bonnet and thats fine.

and i have had the problem 2 times now, each time £20 for sparkplugs.. plus the cover only cost me £25

An astra doesn't need mesh about the engine cover though does it - that's not there for show - it's there cos mid engined cars are difficult to keep cool

#25 03na

03na

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:www.revolutionrides.co.uk

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

I have just been out for a 2 hour drive of motorway and town driving with no rattles and the temp stayed around 86-88 its highest being 91 for a few seconds. I will keep my eye on it to be on the safe side. Mark

#26 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

i was just going to report back myself, ive been sat in traffic for an hour this morning and the highest the temp went was 91. which is normal.

#27 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

You're aware it's winter, right ? :rolleyes:

#28 aron916

aron916

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

Thats amazing, dunno whats wrong with mine, but its running 91 as standard then any stop in traffic is shoots up to 95, 96 within a minute or so!?

#29 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Thats amazing, dunno whats wrong with mine, but its running 91 as standard then any stop in traffic is shoots up to 95, 96 within a minute or so!?

Summer / Winter thermostat ?

#30 aron916

aron916

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:09 AM

Confused....what do you mean?

#31 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:20 AM

Unless I am mistaken you get 2 levels of thermostat 1 that opens slightly warmer that you use in the winter so you get more heat in the car (car runs hotter). I used to swap them around in my MK1 fiesta as it made it toasty in the winter.

#32 aron916

aron916

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

Unless I am mistaken you get 2 levels of thermostat 1 that opens slightly warmer that you use in the winter so you get more heat in the car (car runs hotter). I used to swap them around in my MK1 fiesta as it made it toasty in the winter.

No idea what it is, but its been like this for a while now. After my rad blow i get very worried sitting at traffic lights watching the numbers shoot up, but luckily there aint much traffic jams around here!
What can i do?!

#33 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

No idea what it is, but its been like this for a while now. After my rad blow i get very worried sitting at traffic lights watching the numbers shoot up, but luckily there aint much traffic jams around here!
What can i do?!

95/96 in not overly hot - as long as the fan kicks in and then the temp comes back down I don't think you have an issue. I have seen mine over the 100 on a hot sunny day after a good blast then a traffic jam but it comes down with the fan. I am sure someone with greater knowledge can advise.

#34 aron916

aron916

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

What can i do?!

95/96 in not overly hot - as long as the fan kicks in and then the temp comes back down I don't think you have an issue. I have seen mine over the 100 on a hot sunny day after a good blast then a traffic jam but it comes down with the fan. I am sure someone with greater knowledge can advise.

I only remember the fan kicking in once on a very hot summers day, but this is in the middle of winter so im kinda dreading the summer if the temps rise like they do now!

#35 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Looks good but it's a pity that by necessity the lettering ends up upside down. I'd be worried about temps too. chinky chinky

#36 RMC

RMC

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

Doesn't look good at all to me. Standard looks far better. I find it funny that the guy who posted this is bothering with it when he made a comment just last week about "who cares what the engine bay looks like" :wacko:

#37 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

Doesn't look good at all to me. Standard looks far better.

I find it funny that the guy who posted this is bothering with it when he made a comment just last week about "who cares what the engine bay looks like" :wacko:

I remember that exact post and had a chuckle myself.

Personally, I think it looks a bit stupid seeing that hunk of plastic through the vents (not that the regular engine is much of a showstopper) but anything that hinders the ambient heat getting out of the engine bay is a no no for me. The heat from my tubular manifold had a decent go at the heatshield on the boot bulkhead (although didn't destroy it like MartinS's car) before I upgraded it and that cover seems to block the space above the manifold, giving the heat nowhere to go to. As it is, the first thing I do after giving the car a good thrashing on the track is open the engine cover to let the heat out.

At the end of the day, it's not my car, so who gives a sh!t about my opinion. thumbsup

#38 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

I can't imagine it weighs very much, but i can just see the car's designer shuddering looking at those pictures. After all that effort to reduce weight the plonkers go an bolt bits of plastic to the bits you can't see. Its a pet hate of mine. My volvo has all the covers from under the bonnet removed. Since when were engines made out of plastic? & to top it all, it looks gauche.

Edited by JG, 27 November 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#39 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

it looks gauche.

That's a comment you don't read here everyday! thumbsup
(if just a bit a little bit poof )! :P

#40 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts