Saving The Vx With A New Project!

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

Right, thought i would let you all in on the work being done to the vx that was destroyed by previous owners! :beat: i know you all and i want to see this car saved!! so i am the man to do it! also its hopefully going to look really good with good modifications!!

you all know what the vx was like but here is a pic of when i bought the car :

Posted Image

Posted Image

right, to start with i removed the spoiler, exhaust (replaced with a standard one for the time being - money, spending on appearence first!) and some excuse for a set of skirts and painted all the gash silver mesh black!! crap pic, sorry :

Posted Image

also, while doing these jobs i have also done other small jobs, completely removed the dash dials and so on and tidy'd all the wires, cleaned through completely, replaced the switches, replaced any bolts that were missing from clams, fuse box's and mats, also changed pads all round and installed poly bushes. o also put one of those boot tidy's in that someone metioned from wilko's - amazing help they are! :D

and last week ordered myself a set of TD pro 1.2 in satin black! :groupjump:

well now the car has gone into the spray shop where i have been very busy!!

Posted Image
By alparks, shot with SGH-i900 at 2009-02-18
Posted Image
By alparks at 2009-02-18

while it is in the shop to be painted i am going through everything, replacing any nut/bolt which looks worn, painting any bracket, dull metal, with some black hamerite, wraping any wires which are loose and tidy'ing anything that needs doing - i mean everything (really fusy with these things!)

and today fitted a set of lowering springs, before people say "why not put gaz on", i will towards the end of the year, but at the minute i am spending the money on the more important things, but tbh the shocks are in really great condition so the spring should work well for the time being and lower it 25mm! as you can see :D

Posted Image

this pic shows the shiney springs from the front :D

Posted Image

was really surprised how easy that job was!
also today i stripped out the interior, so when i go back on friday i can start on tidy'ing the inside of the car properly and fitting everything as it should! cant believe the little bodge jobs they have done! :beat:
also going to fit carpets and prepare the dash plates so they can be painted when the car is being painted!

Posted Image
Posted Image

well thats all the main images i have so far, but will have a load more and more progress after friday when i spend another whole day on her, also should have some pics of the things i have painted, tidy'd and interior gleaming :D !

Edited by mandarinvx, 26 February 2009 - 05:38 PM.

#2 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Fair play to you sir. Will be watching progress intently. I remember the state of this poor VX. Will be good to see it back to former glory. chinky chinky Scott.

#3 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

good i am starting to like this car now
sorry couldnt stop posting the link on the ebay exhaust they still at £0.99 :(
looking better and all i can say is enjoy the car i have done since 7 years now and went this morning to london at 2 am and what a nice ride empty road :wub:

#4 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Top banana! thumbsup chinky chinky

#5 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Good work that Man! What are you doing about the seatbelts? Weren't the harnesses drilled into the roll bar?? Dont forget to change the rad and seal the heater box while the clam is off. chinky chinky

#6 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

Imnotworthy Good work.....! We feared for that little, lost, mutilated, raped VX. Looks like it is in good hands............

#7 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

o forgot to say that i fitted a sealed induction kit, really pleased with this! :D

Posted Image

#8 snowwhite

snowwhite

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

Good work that man thumbsup! Glad someone has taken on the task and you certainly are going at it head first :D Best of luck Imnotworthy

#9 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

We heart you

#10 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

Good work that Man!

What are you doing about the seatbelts? Weren't the harnesses drilled into the roll bar??

Dont forget to change the rad and seal the heater box while the clam is off.

chinky chinky

seatbelts i am trying to change but vauxhall want over £700 :o

the harness were in a bracket attatched to the roll bar, so thats fine!

checked the rad and seems stable for the moment, but will have another look now!

what do you mean seal the heater box?

Edited by alparks, 18 February 2009 - 10:09 PM.

#11 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

what do you mean seal the heater box?

Have a look here, made a massive difference to mine, and your only a couple of steps away from removing the heater box

#12 james141

james141

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

Imnotworthy Good work.....!

We feared for that little, lost, mutilated, raped VX. Looks like it is in good hands............

:yeahthat:

#13 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

well done and keep up the good work thumbsup so glad you rescued that poor vx220, it needed a good home and by the work you have done so far it has a loving new home :grouphug:

#14 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

you might want to know you are missing half the backbox heatshield before you put that rear clam back on!

#15 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

good job thumbsup take it you dont want my alloys afterall :lol: .... pm would have been nice though :closedeyes:

Edited by joe_589, 19 February 2009 - 06:02 PM.

#16 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

good job thumbsup

take it you dont want my alloys afterall :lol: .... pm would have been nice though :closedeyes:

no afraid not. sorry i was in talk with a few people on wheels but thought i would take the plunge!

but i was interested in your exhaust which we said wait untill end of the month then you sold :D ...pm would have been nice :closedeyes: :D :D

#17 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

:gayfight: haha did we? owell guess its even then :lol:

#18 n1k_ns

n1k_ns

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:Date Of VX First Registration: 01/03/2002

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

Fair Play! Imnotworthy I hope the previous owner reads this thread and feels nothing but shame.

#19 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

you might want to know you are missing half the backbox heatshield before you put that rear clam back on!

yeah i know, im after a new one! anyone know where?

#20 alparks

alparks

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

update on the work i done today.

well painted a few bits and bobs, so it all looks nice and clean through out the car. only took one pic which was of the hinge for the bonnet, little things like this i think make a difference...

Posted Image
By alparks, shot with SGH-i900 at 2009-02-20

also wanted to replace the exhaust bolts as they wernt amazing when i fitted the standard system! whish i didn't, to start with one of the manifol nuts wouldn't go on for love nor money, so decided i had to remove the stud!!
only way to do this was to weld a nut onto the end of the stud and unscrew that way, well stud broke rant
so next was to drill it out, drill bit broke :angry:
well eventually with a bit of persistance i got the stud out and replaced with nice shiney new one :D

i also helped out with a bit of body work, and as you can see in the original photo's of the car, it had metal bars in place on the side vents.......... well this crap had to go, which left holes in the side of the fibre glass! so this was patched with fibre glass and filled for a nice finish!

Posted Image

the major job today was to tidy the interior and measure, cut and fit carpets!! thought i would have a go myself as i enjoy jobs/challenge's like this, also want to save money for other things for the cars looks!
i managed to buy a roll of car carpet for £18.00 (4m x 1m) hoped this would be enough (room for errors as first time) but ended up that i used just over half of it :) , so really happy with that, only had to re-cut on piece which i wasn't happy with!

well im really happy with the result, i carpeted the lot and then screwed the foot rest back in on top of the carpet (what a mission that was :beat: )

Posted Image

Posted Image

so glad how the interior scrubbed up!

the one last thing that i decided to do today, was something i dont think has been done before, could be wrong (sorry if i am).
i decided to fibre glass the plastic handles on the door!! so when it is painted there wont be a little plastic grip on the door, should be a nice smooth finish that you hold! i personally think this will look great when done, and will always look clean and not like they glued a plastic block into place! cant wait too see this bit when painted!! :D

still needs to be filled and finished before painting!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats all for a update so far! hope you all are enjoying and looking forward to see this car transformed! :groupjump:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users