cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, get a decent manifold and turbo fitted ;) :D

hehe :D

Also thinking, will these cams affect the MOT? Got a 100cell cat, never had a problem (yet....)

#22 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

MOT is fine Paul ;) mine has no cat lol

#23 shagga

shagga

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hello cheeky_chops, Are the cams mounted already? :huh:

#24 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Not yet :) Paul is now getting a decat pipe made and think he is getting me to do the cams and belt (just not going to have time before holiday :() so he may just get Mike to do them :) Think the fact I was getting paid with breakfast sandwich (he gets the best bacon!) and few beers sold it to him :D lol DG

#25 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

yum yum cams have arrived! :D

inlet 16/56
outlet 56/16
duration 252
lift: 9.45 @110deg
lift @TDC .80mm
Overlap 32deg

Any thoughts?

Without sounding negative or having a go, I would measure them.

Have previously used "identical" spec Piper reprofiled cams in 2 Mi16 engined Pugs (1.9 16 valve ally block, 160 bhp standard).

Both engines had same skimmed off head, recently built bottom ends, VAG 2.0 8 valve throttle body and Peugeot Sport "grp N" exhausts.

One produced 171 bhp at 7'100 RPM, with power rapidly climbing at the limiter, the other produced bang on 160bhp with a flat top end.

Lots of time was spent checking over the lower powered car, and nothing seemed to be causing the power loss. Eventually the two cars cam profiles were measured & significantly different - the duration on the lower powered car was identical but with less lift, and on an engine with lots of valve shrouding like the Mi16 this appeared to be enough to really limit it.

I honestly hope for you that it is all to the spec you've asked, fingers crossed.

Don't forget to use a decent cam lube on installing, and to run it in properly as per instructions - makes all the difference!

#26 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Not yet :) Paul is now getting a decat pipe made and think he is getting me to do the cams and belt (just not going to have time before holiday :( ) so he may just get Mike to do them :)

Think the fact I was getting paid with breakfast sandwich (he gets the best bacon!) and few beers sold it to him :D lol

DG

Got some cracking sausies atm too!

Sorry not fitted, car (and lots of other things) have taken a back seat with a family holiday and organising our wedding....

#27 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

Piper cams are finally :rolleyes: IN!! Pi$$ing it down here so not the weather to be testing them in... Initial verdict is granny drivability not changed. Idle is alittle cammy and the needle flutters but no impact on the engines ability to idle. No extra noise from tappits. Seems abit crisper thru the mid rev range. Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow thumbsup

#28 VXR 43

VXR 43

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Good news, looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the test session. thumbsup

#29 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

Piper cams are finally :rolleyes: IN!!

Pi$$ing it down here so not the weather to be testing them in... Initial verdict is granny drivability not changed. Idle is alittle cammy and the needle flutters but no impact on the engines ability to idle. No extra noise from tappits. Seems abit crisper thru the mid rev range.

Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow thumbsup

onyl way to really see the idle is to disconnect the AMM

#30 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

Piper cams are finally :rolleyes: IN!!

Pi$$ing it down here so not the weather to be testing them in... Initial verdict is granny drivability not changed. Idle is alittle cammy and the needle flutters but no impact on the engines ability to idle. No extra noise from tappits. Seems abit crisper thru the mid rev range.

Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow thumbsup

onyl way to really see the idle is to disconnect the AMM

#31 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Noticed the rear lights "throb" with the engine idle last night, so looks like it does need the idle set a little higher, not a biggie. You can here the tappets if you listen carefully but they arent the quietest on these engines anyway. Oh, and the car rattles more :rolleyes: Seems to really zip thru 3.5-5k now which is where i saw the main advantages of these cams (until i get a bigger turbo!). Over 5k boost tails off, no change there. It also produces a far more mechanical growl around 5k. :tt: Need to get it rr'd next - preliminary date is 11th oct with MLOC in Loughborough. MLOC events section if anyone else fancies it

#32 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

is it possible to get more inlet duration , say 17-70 = 267' and a lot more lift 10mm exhaust cam , shorter duration, keep the Piper LEH exhaust cam 50-10 = 240' , and with the above 27' overlap ( same as stock )

#33 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

Steve you could get them to product a cam to your spec but suspect you would have to use blanks rather than regrind. There is also the option to have adj verniers to play with power / torque :P Gary has left now but James is a good guy to talk to ;) DG

#34 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

Steve you could get them to product a cam to your spec but suspect you would have to use blanks rather than regrind.

There is also the option to have adj verniers to play with power / torque :P

Gary has left now but James is a good guy to talk to ;)

DG

is the ignition timing done from the exhaust cam? inwhich case you could only use verniers on the inlet

also I am trying to get 100% accurate specification on the standard cams , but keep only finding c20let details

Edited by siztenboots, 11 November 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#35 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

I am sure cheeky confirmed no difference between LEH & LET cams

#36 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

lookat at pipers site , the cams listed are

in 16-56 9.58mm lift
ex 50-10 9.58mm lift

http://www.pipercams...p...&engine=243

whereas cheekys new cams are symmetrical 16-56, 56-16

#37 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

Steve, James is off today and calling me back tomorrow to confirm as Tom is not sure of the answer - will report back ;)

#38 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

I remember talking to them about the reduced exhaust cam (240) to reduce backpressure on the valves or something like that???

#39 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

- You can only use vernier on inlet as trigger is part of exhaust pulley. Only supplier i found was regal, £120 iirc - There are lots of later C20let pulleys which have the same teeth pattern on ebay but they DONT fit. The offset is too much so the cambelt doesnt sit right - Z20LET/Z20LEH are same cams - If you want more duration i guess its blanks - iirc £700+ Any more and the tappits wont be happy on OEM regrinds - What i posted 16-56, 56-16 was what came on the sheet with the cams - i guess there could be a typo on this or the website.

Edited by cheeky_chops, 11 November 2009 - 03:23 PM.

#40 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

I remember talking to them about the reduced exhaust cam (240) to reduce backpressure on the valves or something like that???

yep reversion backing up from the turbo , something like 4-2 exhaust manifold into twin scroll turbo housing then into 1 downpipe, mating up 1+2 3+4 , if I understand things right , but then you might as well start off with the 2.0l LNF ecotec and have VVti

Edited by siztenboots, 11 November 2009 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users