Good Vx Service Posts Add Them Here Please...

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:33 PM

please add your mechanical service recommendations to this thread...keep them all in one place and easy to find. thank you very much.

Edited by skiddo, 15 January 2004 - 07:36 PM.

#2 astonandy

astonandy

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:music, photography, travel, cars, cars and more cars

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:31 PM

Grasemere at Crewe. Good service, good value and seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the car when it was in for second service today. £126 including brake fluid and oil. Sales I would pass. Andy LY51

#3 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

Warwick Shubrook in Diss. Service manager (Dave) & VX mechanic (Andy) are both enthusiastic about the car and so far i have had excellent service from them from sorting out all initial niggles to fixing steering problem within 15 mins of calling in without an appointment. The're also enthusiastic( & hence sympathetic warranty wise) about mods. Car goes in for 2nd setvice 31st Jan so will report further on costs etc. (1st service was <£100) Paul

#4 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

Browns of Loughton Initially a bit of a shock as a few weeks before I dropped the car off for the 1st service I was told it would be £140 and when I left it with them I was told £180 /£190 :o :o Once I had explained that I had been quoted £140 they kept to their word. :D Service was great, car was cleaned inside and out and they even refitted the hood / seals - I had just mentioned in passing that there was still a bit of a leak!! All in all, very happy with their service and they are conveniently close to a tube station so getting back into town wasn't such a hassle! However, they do seem a bit pricier than other garages, but I guess they are classed as a London site - therefore London prices! Robski

#5 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:46 AM

Had a good experience with Crownhill for my first service. They charged £150, but looking through the invoice, that included a 10% discount on all the 'parts' used. Service book was stamped, service by the staff was excellent, and the guy didn't seem to mind too much about me watching him start the service.

#6 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:27 PM

CD Bramalls in Plymouth. Very good with an excellent service chief who is a VX220 enthusiast.

#7 stevevx220

stevevx220

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Photography, Computers. cars :)

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:20 PM

Been pleased with Eastbourne motoring Centre (Vauxall main dealer) But their VX trained technician has gone solo. :( (I have his number if needed) :)

Edited by stevevx220, 18 January 2004 - 10:20 PM.

#8 cyberman

cyberman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:24 PM

OK. Idiot of the week award please. I managed to take my VXT on an unauthorised motocross last night. As it is only mildly embarassing, if anyone really want to know how it happened, I will tell. However, this involved crossing an 8" kerb, traversing 20 metres of rough grass and a rotating bounce along a hedge. Entry speed about 55-60mph. The car was sat on the mid-chassis on grass / mud until winched forward to get the rear wheels out of the ditch they were hanging over. Damage includes the body which was extensively "sprung" by taking much of the impact load on the hedge. There is clear damage from NSF along NS to NSR across rear and to OSR. The NS wheels and tyres also took quite a bit of stick. Wheels don't appear damaged but earth and grass has been forced between wheel and tyre and the tyres probably aren't so good. The rear window shattered perhaps as a consequence of flexing. No one hurt. Overall I was very impressed with the integrated strength and integrity of the little flivver. I am concerned that suspension mounting points or chassis may have been damaged although without a ramp it is difficult to tell. I don't have facilities for jigging up the chassis. The car is drivable and tracks more or less OK. There seem to be no fluid leaks. Engine and gearbox both work OK but have not been underside inspected. Long long ago I used to have Lotus Elans (S2,S3 and S4 and a very wild special with one of Dave Brodie's "Run Baby Run" 2.1 twinks in it).). If you did much much less than the above to an Elan it was a new chassis job. I have not been impressed with Vauxhall dealers knowledge of the VXT and I am really quite reluctant to let them fix it - particularly in the chassis department. I have been in touch with Lotus and the Vauxhall liaison guy at Hethel (Mike Pumfret?) and they didn't need a lot of persuading to book it into the Lotus Service / Sport & Performance facility run by Glen Smith. Its almost too late now but did I do the right thing? If not, what do I need to watch out for? They did seem positively eager for the work. I plan to go up there as soon as they have stripped it anyway to discuss some improvements as they put it back together. Kind regards - Ian Douglass

#9 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:27 AM

Dropped mine into Crownhill this morning with a few niggles. It's now 11am and they're all sorted. -Roofseals replaced -wobbly driver's seat - new rails ordered -headlamps adjusted -engine mgmt light coming on - ECU reset and tested, all working fine OK, so they weren't the hardest jobs in the world but the service was slick and I didn't have to say "you forgot to do this, what about that" etc. Also, it was only in for the roof seals, points 2 3 and 4 I only mentioned to them at 8:30 this morning. When I arrived there this morning, she saw me pull up and had all my details and forms ready on the counter for me to sign. "Morning Jason, got all your details here ready!". Again, no biggie but a smile and a bit of customer care goes a long way. Nice one Crownhill :)

Edited by Jase_MK, 20 February 2004 - 11:29 AM.

#10 ruffian

ruffian

• 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:17 PM

:D I`m the proud new owner of a n/a and would like to get it serviced and checked over. can anyone recomend somewhere in west yorkshire or resonably close (M1).I have heard some bad reports of my local vauxhall dealers (cd brammal wakefield) thanks B) B) cheers

#11 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:32 PM

My experience at Picador, Southampton was similar to that of Jase_MK. Had a long list of minor niggles to accompany the service - all of which were sorted out, with no questions asked. Window seal parts are on back order, but I have been promised a call from Picador when they arrive. Fitted a new centre section without hesitation and even fitted some protective film (like Armourfend) to protect it from scratching again! :) As with Jase_MK, it was nice to be remembered on a first name term and Graham even remembered Hannah's name. Added bonus was the service guy mentioning L1L VX by name! :) I have always been impressed with Graham's service and attention to detail - kinda wished I'd bought the car from him. cheers

#12 cyberman

cyberman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:13 PM

I have been in touch with Lotus and the Vauxhall liaison guy at Hethel (Mike Pumfret?) and they didn't need a lot of persuading to book it into the Lotus Service / Sport & Performance facility run by Glen Smith. Its almost too late now but did I do the right thing?

Well I can now answer my own question. The little flivver came home a couple of hours ago. 05:30 start to drive a sleepy SO to Hethel in the filthy rain and then joy of joy the little flivver all gleaming and clean and neat.

Lotus have done what was needed very tidily and pretty well to time. They have been pleasant, courteous and attentive. Useless at committing to when something would be done but it was actually ready when they hinted it might be.

They also fixed most of the non-accident little niggles (e.g. gearbox linkage and dash panel and passenger headrest etc etc etc). I don't want to break their rice bowls but they didn't charge for any of these little extras at all. "We've taken enough money off the insurers and we want it to be right for you". Magic.

Oh yes, and while they were at it they sprayed all silver fittings body colour (the V the vauxhall logo etc) and it looks very tidy indeed.

And had I missed her? Oh yes indeedy. That grumbly sound as she shrugs and stretches into life when moving off from cold. The first roundabout exit in second gear on full boost as she slams into the slot. Settling to her work purring down the A11 at 4000 in 5th. Snetterton in the rain. A stultification of Stobarts passed in a 3rd gear rising howl. Oh yes, I'd missed her.

And is she as good as new? Better. I had to turn the heater down on the way back.

Lotus do a nice job.

#13 davehutchinson

davehutchinson

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:37 PM

I wouldn't normally bother with a post here but Greenhous of Newcastle Under Lyme deserve a special mention for thier hard work and dedication. About two weeks ago I took my car in to have some warranty niggles ironed out, nothing major, just rattles and squeaks. They ordered me the new seat runners but what I didn't expect was for them to check the car over entirely for me and find an ECU fault. They promptly ordered a new ECU for me. About a week later after having the ITG kit fitted my AMM blew and a lot more problems came about thanks to the faulty ECU, I took the car in and they said I'd have to wait for the new ECU before they could do any more diagnostics as the ECU could be lying. They let me keep the car and ordered some other parts like my clutch spring and seatbelt roller. So off I went with my car so that I could still drive it and have it in my possession. I later decide I need to be mobile so I ask if they can sort a courtesy car, no problems, we have none in our fleet so we'll hire one for you, it's only a Corsa but the company came out and picked me up, took me back to the office and I drove away with a car. Note that I still have the VXT in my possession too. 3 days later I get a call that all the parts are in, even the ECU which was supposed to take 21days or more. I drop the car off today in the morning and they fix all the problems by 4:30 but Vauxhall wouldn't give them my imobiliser code so I went home and gave it to them. Car was ready for pickup at 5:00 and as I asked them to, they'd diagnosed a fault with the AMM. As I had the ITG I said don't order a replacement since I have a spare (thanks ITG) but regardless and fully knowing that I had an aftermarket airbox and even going so far as to say that probably caused it, they ordered a new AMM for me! So a thank you to Greenhous, I wish we had more dealers like this.

#14 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:01 PM

fcuk me, I might make the trip up there !! My car needs to go in to have the starter motor looked at, and AFAIK, I will be the first person to use Kirby Central in bolton. I'm a little apprehensive but I suppose it could be worse, it could be going off to Vauxhall Technical.

#15 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:24 AM

Lance Owen service department at Addlestone (not Kingston) did a 10K service on my VXT on Tuesday. On purpose I made sure I'd cleaned the car inside and out before I gave it to them so I could easily check for any scuffs etc caused by the techies getting in and out. Also mentioned a slight knock from the steering column when going over speed bumps at an angle rather than head on. Picked up the car late that afternoon and it was as clean as when I gave it to them, not a scuff mark to be seen anywhere, and they were obviously unimpressed by my cleaning job as they finished it off nicely by blacking the tyres for me :lol: Cost for the service was a flat rate £149.95 inc VAT. They checked the front end for the knocking and tightened up a few bits and the knock has now gone. They did find a very slight play in the whatsit that goes into the antiroll bar(s) ( :beat: I've already forgotten exactly what they said :beat: ) and are getting back to me on that one. All in all I'm very happy with their service, and they seem to fall over themselves to help me whenever I pitch up about anything. For dealers that DO give a sh*t about after sales service it certainly does help when they know you're an active member of this forum :D

#16 Huntsman

Huntsman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Cars, Skiing, Squash, Motorbikes, Rabbits - all that kind of stuff.

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:34 PM

Drive Vauxhall in Leamington Spa did my 20,000 mile service today and again, service was as good as you could ask for. I'm picky. Very picky. I present them with my own checklist each time the car goes in and expect to have it completed and given back to me by the service manager. This is never a problem and they call me if they have any questions they need to ask. The service department shuts at 5.30, but the service manager was there at 6 this evening to run through my points (paint bubble, minor leak, etc) and go over the car with me before giving it back. We also had a look at a couple of VXT's (Dolphin and Europa) due to go to some lucky people and also had a chat about a certain person we both know who's ordered a VXR ... ;) All in all, top marks.

#17 Blanchie

Blanchie

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

I'm gob smacked. Took mine in for some warrenty work today, Misting tail lamp, VDO problems and an oil leak. Talking with the Head mechanic when i picked it up, Oil leak fixed no problem replaced a seal thumbsup , tail lamp had been ordered (About Blooming Time - chinky chinky to Hi Ho for taking a few picks on the bently trip) Sterio's on back order ( :lol: :lol: you have to laugh) and "we noticed your dash panels might be pealing a bit so we've ordered you some new ones" :o. Car was ready on time as well :o . Why can't it be like that all the time. thumbsup to vauxhall Hi to Jim with the Silver VXT i met there. Blanchie

Edited by Blanchie, 07 April 2004 - 04:25 PM.

#18 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:44 PM

Thats interesting Blanchie....my own first service is coming up and I also want my ragtop seals replaced under warranty (along with the radio snatch plate). I was gonna go to Brammall's in Wolvo where I bought it , but I have no references, good or bad, from their service department. Might try Lookers in Aston then !, ta :D

#19 ECM

ECM

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:11 PM

I bought my car from there and Lookers have been good to me as well, bit of a shame I live so far away & can't get it serviced there to.

#20 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:26 PM

Lookers seem to be improving. I have been dealing with Mick Hughes whos the service manager there....good chap to talk to and will sort out any problems for you, the other person you can contact is Julian - the Sales Manager. I have ordered my VXR through him and he seems committed to looking after the VX lot. Blanchie- good to hear that they sorted you alright. Purebob, may be worth mentioning that you are a member of website and comments made... any problems have a chat to either listed above and they will sort you out. Mani Blanchie- Is MIck still there or has he moved?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users