Big Power Vxt Project

• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#4641 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:08 AM

120 mile evening drive along the Welsh borders was suprising free of traffic, probably only stuck behind things for about 1/3 of the time. Caught the evening light at Skenfrith castle.

I have to say, after 6 months of putting off changing his gearbox and barely driving him, I am now fully back in love with the little thing. Thanks to both Alex and Josh for helping motivate me and spanner with me on that.

Having the TC is making me braver too, exiting roundabouts etc.

HXV4Ee8.jpg

Edited by Nev, 14 August 2019 - 06:17 AM.

#4642 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:15 AM

Disassembled the pipework and airbox yesterday in order to double check it and discovered that the plastic 45 degree bend in it had warped quite badly with the heat. I had used a plastic pipe as I was waiting on a metal one to arrive by post, though the supplier never sent it. So yesterday, I cut up some pie-sections from a straight pipe and welded my own up. It's now fitted, with an additional heat shield.

Having the welder and basic metal working tools to make brackets/exhausts/pipework etc is really useful, I remember umming and ahhing about splashing £1200 on it, but its certainly paid for itself now.

Edited by Nev, 15 August 2019 - 07:19 AM.

#4643 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

I couldn't live without a mig and tig. Just wish I had a mill and lathe now.

You need to rename nipper "Ear bleeder" by the reports coming back. Keep up the crazy work 👍

#4644 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

Just wish I had a mill and lathe now.

Ditto, expensive though, to get decent sized ones that are good quality. My garage it full to bursting too, barely room to turn around in it.

#4645 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

I have a lathe and mill.  Best things ever!

#4646 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:11 PM

I have a lathe and mill.  Best things ever!

You've cheated by finding space for them in a bedroom if I remember correctly! Probably in the baby's room?!

Edited by Nev, 15 August 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#4647 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

After a quick 80 mile loop round Marlborough and Devizes this morning, I've dusted off my hardtop project.

My intention has always been to feed cold air from the back of the scoop down towards the air filters. I am keen not to obstruct the rear view between the two seat heads, so sadly this meant that a 4 inch outlet was not possible, instead I have had to use a 3" pipework. Anyway, I've bonded in an aluminium diagonal down pipe, this will run down behind the drivers headrest and point at the air filters with a flexi.

Once this all sets, I'll hand the hardtop over to a painter for final prep and matching to the rest of the car. Hopefully, he'll be able to harden the filler I've used as it seems quite prone to being marked.

Edited by Nev, 18 August 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#4648 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

Had a "funny one" today, after switching off, the engine kept running for about 2 seconds. Put my hand on the ECU and it was hotter than a hot bath! It seems my new airbox is now deflecting the hot air from the bulkhead directly at the ECU (which is behind the passenger seat). So tonight I've built an aluminium shield around the ECU which should defect the hot air into the cabin instead and ensure the ECU doesn't get fried.

Edited by Nev, 22 August 2019 - 08:31 PM.

#4649 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:52 PM

ECU inside the cabin or engine bay?

#4650 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:59 AM

ECU is in the cabin, 6 inches behind the passenger seat.

The airbox has a large flat surface, so hot air was flowing sideways off that and I'd not considered that it would all flow towards the ECU, which itself is only about 6 inches from the airbox.

Edited by Nev, 23 August 2019 - 06:00 AM.

#4651 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

i assume you have monitored your intake temps from a before and after with this airbox position? 

#4652 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

Yet another smashing drive in to mid Wales today (went yesterday and will likely go again tomorrow). The A470 really is a belter of a road, some of it up & down & twisty and some straight lines as well, all perfectly tarmaced thanks to the EU!

Ended up at the lakes near Rhayder this time; very tranquil.

SpKvbT2.jpg

dXoB7aM.jpg

z6OMHbZ.jpg

Edited by Nev, 25 August 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#4653 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:28 AM

so did you get before and after results of the intake temps? 

#4654 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Scooby Doo mist this morning, B-road bashing on the Welsh borders. Back home by 8:30 AM after 120 miles and smiles.

CvrX1xa.jpg

#4655 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

The ECU was still getting hotter than I'd like (even with the heat shield), so I have now moved it away from the bulkhead area entirely. It's now on the angled fuel tank scuttle, behind the bum of the passenger seat. Much cooler there for sure, though more time consuming if I ever need to access it, as the passenger seat would need to come out first.

I have to say I've got a non stop itch to drive it at the moment, I might have to find an excuse to go out in it tonight too!! I've filled up the tank at least 3 times just this B/H weekend.

Another pic from this morning. This bit of road must be about 15 miles long, and all I had to overtake was 1 motorbike! Flipping amazing roads.

R3NwBjV.jpg

Edited by Nev, 26 August 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#4656 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

i assume you have monitored your intake temps from a before and after with this airbox position? 

so did you get before and after results of the intake temps? 

FYI Nev

#4657 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

Out of curiosity I took my sound meter out with me, attached to the top of the passenger seat at approximately ear height. The roof was on and the windows 1/2 open. Did a couple of pulls with it set to record the maximum sound reading, which were as follows:

6500 RPM in 2nd gear = 107 DB(A)

7200 RPM in 3rd gear = 112 DB(A)

Edited by Nev, 27 August 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#4658 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

Pardon

#4659 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

Has Nev just got the whole forum on ignore now? 

#4660 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

The new airbox is made and fitted now. As you can see it just fits behind the drivers seat and passes air through the bulkhead in a 4" diameter flexi pipe to the turbo in an ultra short run.

As far as I'm aware this is the first VXT to be configured like this. Inlet temps will be as low as possible and I've finally reclaimed my boot back which I wanted.
Theres a good reason why no one has configured a vxt like this before!
Your choice Nev! Go for it! Must be easier ways of removing dust from your dash !

Edited by iram, 27 August 2019 - 06:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users