• Pip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:fast lightweight cars
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

:) A small update what's going on here:

At the moment I am ripping the complete engine off its bay. It will be replaced by a Z22NG2 (that's what I call it). I will swap in a Klasen-Stage-5 engine with a Z22LEx block and a K16-GT2 turbo charger. The gearbox will be modified getting a longer fifth gear and a Quaife torsen diff lock. If everything is working out as planned my little "Heart of Darkness" will output some 380...400HP at the beginning fo the 2012 season.

First time I do such a work on my own. And I am really curious about the outcome. :rolleyes:

As my file attachement upload quota seems to be limited to 500K here I will not be able to post any more photos I am afraid. Funny. :mellow:

Edited by cs_, 09 November 2011 - 08:06 AM.

#42 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

Carsten, don't bother trying to attach photos, it's a waste of time. Upload them to the gallery and use the "Image Link" URL to embed the picture(s) in your post. thumbsup

#43 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the hint! chinky chinky

#44 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

Good luck Carsten. :) That turbo looks stupidly expensive to me BTW, is there some special reason for this? I can get you almost any sort of Garrett for around 800 to 1200 GBP if you want.

#45 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

I know it's expensive compared to a Garrett. But the charme is, it looks almost like the OEM K04, sharing the same manifold (modified internally). Klasen's Garrett-solution with his self-developed manifold is a fine piece of technology but for now I will stick with the Borg Warner side. The Regelin / VX-Performance Stage 2.5 is registered (made legal) with my car so the NG2 / K16-GT2 is a very nice option to put almost 400HP under my bonnet with almost no optical clue of the modifications done. The engine itself with 7.000 Euros is the biggest heap the whole winters work will cost me. It will deliver a large headroom for almost any HP I possibly will go for in the future. May be some day I will go for a Garrett. But for now I will stick beneath 400HP and the nice OEM look of the engine. Also I don't think I will feel the need to go beyond 400HP at all. I visit trackdays on an irregular base and the more power you generate the more heat the engine needs to dissipate. For pure road or quartermile use 500HP may be without any problem, but on a racetrack things look different. Last but not least I am not in favour of the usual "turbo punch", almost no power at all until 4.500 rpm and then your a## gets kicked, that's not my goal. I like much more the N/A-style power, getting much power even at low revs, possibly not even recognizing you drive a high boost turbo engine. Until this moment this was true with my engine. The setup with 295HP and 80mm AMM was so perfect, it almost felt like driving a very big N/A. I will try to keep that as far as possible. That means a well thought compromise between power and driveability. Right now I think, the K16-GT2 will do the trick. If not, Garrett's the next option (engine is way enough solid). IF... I am still very positive about the K16. Next year I know more. Everyone has it's own approach. :)

Edited by cs_, 09 November 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#46 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

On saturday I drove to Oberhausen to pick up my new 2.2-liter-Stage-5 from Klasen-Motors. Nice engine... :) Klasen Stage 5 - 2.2

#47 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

I am getting on with my work. Engine is quite ready to drop into the bay. I just have to wait for a delivery of heat shielding material I will mount behind the shield shown down below. I am also building up a fire extinguishing system. And also before march I will make a new center console for all instruments I need plus the extinguisher controls. Think this will be a fine setup for the next season. The engine ECU is reprogrammed already with a run-in-software. And the Tullett bespoke exhaust is on its way back to me where it will be tested to fit on the 2.2 litre block and then be sent out again for ceramic coating to get less exhaust gas backpressure. Will see what numbers are on the dyno for all of this. And how this setup will be drivable. I am very positive this will be very good in the end. Mounting the K16 Turbo Charger on the Z22LEx
Heatshield for the turbo section of the engine bay
Fire extinguishing system
Fire extinguishing system nozzles
Design of the new center console

Edited by cs_, 08 January 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#48 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

All the pictures from http://www.lotus116.de/blog have become password protected, thus gone from this topic.

#49 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hi smiley,

thanks for telling me, didn't notice there might be a problem here. I would love to correct that but I do not have any ability to edit my postings (that's an issue that could be corrected by the board admin). shame. :(

Did upload the pictures from the thread opening here: click me

#50 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

A bit of progress in engine build up: Engine build-up 2012: self-made funnel/adapter
home brew inlet funnel for big K&N Engine build-up 2012: K&N RC-3690
the K&N RC-3690 Engine build-up 2012: stainless steel braided oil hoses
stainless steal braided oil hoses Engine build-up 2012: Tullett bespoke downpipe
Tullett 3" bespoke, 10mm higher for 2.2 block, ceramic coated Hopefully I get the engine working within 3 weeks from now.

#51 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:F1, Diving and cycling.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

This will be awesome!! Have you won the euro millions? What front splitter have you got?

#52 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Looking good Carsten, keep up the good work thumbsup

#53 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

This will be awesome!! Have you won the euro millions? What front splitter have you got?

No, I'm just eating up part of my pension. :D The Splitter that's mounted for about a year now is the one most Speedsters in germany have on. I don't know exactly who initially developed it but it was sold by Dempert Automotive and Regeln / VX-Performance for instance.

Looking good Carsten, keep up the good work thumbsup

Thanks a lot! Hopefully this pile of crap will run as good as it looks. :lol:
I fear the moment when I'll first hit the start button. This is a huge rebuild, giving the car a completely new drive train, there are lots of possibilities for things going wrong. And something will go wrong, you cannot do a big thing like that without failures. I'm curious where and when it will bleed, break or smoke for the first time. :D

I'm just an amateur.

This is a photograph of the engine taken today:

Engine build-up 2012: air vents complete

Edited by cs_, 11 February 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#54 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Last sunday was showdown. First engine start after three months of building process. Finally, it came to start, after several tries: (sorry, german language only) A short summarize for the ones that cannot understand german: - tried to start once, no firing - OBD-scanner did NOT see the ECU - found missing ground wire at the ECU, fixed it with a M6 screw - tried to start again, not firing - but at least the OBD-scanner worked - 4 DTCs, P0201-P0204, deleted them - still had 4 failures in the readout but in the heat of the moment thought this were recent, not present ones - tried some more to start, mood succeeded towards zero - finally got out of the car, last chance, looking for some open connections - AND FOUND ONE, one of the two block connectors between traction control and injection valves hasn't been properly pushed in and slipped out - pushed that in, cheered up, yelled "now it goes, now it goes" - pushed the button - engine started As for my knowledge, this is the only VX220 by now being equipped with a 2.2 liter long stroke engine based on the Z20LEx. This engine is known for very early boost development. Will see what it does before the end of march. First test drive will probably be next sunday, then run in the engine for about 1.500km on the road within few days and then mapping will probably take place last week of march. I'm curious what the numbers and even more the feeling will be with this engine. I think it will be good for around 380...400HP with hopefully very early development of torque and very good drivability. Will see if this turns out to be true in the near future.

#55 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Keep posting the video's Carsten. Where will you get it mapped?

#56 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Es lebt!!! I notice you had the drinks ready. I'll be interested to see the results, especially to see the torque curve.

#57 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

It will get mapped at VX-Performance, Uwe Regelin. Some may find this strange because the base engine comes from Klasen-Motors, but for many years I am a happy customer of Uwe Regelin, I love his mappings, never had any issues with that. So I'll stick with him. Will post the results if done.

#58 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Keep posting the video's Carsten. Where will you get it mapped?

Presumably MMG or CMS :rolleyes:
Great work, keep us updated thumbsup

#59 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Germany. :) No CMS or MMG in range. :D

#60 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Germany. :) No CMS or MMG in range. :D

Taking into account recent posts on here that's probably a GOOD thing ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users