• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#61 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi Guys, here are some news from your belgian mate.
Few months after buying my LHD heater I started to install it.
First I don't know how you guys manage to do that in 3 hours, I spent around 1h30 to prepare the work (removing the dashboard, doing a lot of cleaning, removing the battery etc).
Today I spent 3 hours to remove the old unit and put the new one (ok I am big having big hands, so his my friend) but some bolts are in unfriendly place ! May be we do not have the correct tools neither).
We stopped because it was late, and because of a technical issue, for a LHD installation, the hoses are too short.  

Also FYI, look what it gives:

Posted Image

In a VX220, everything is the otherway around, the iside of the blower is against the side of the car, in the LHD it will be next to the battery (we tried the other way around, but we didn't manage to push it below the servo brake and thus were not able to bolt it to the car.

I'll come back to you when I'll have the correct hoses to plug it.

Cheers, 
Christophe

Christophe, that is the correct way to install it for the LHD version. When you say they hoses are too short, do you mean the water hoses from the metal pipes to the heater? I have only seen one installed LHD unit and didnt hear of any problems, so I am interested to know what they are and how to improve them.

#62 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi Guys, here are some news from your belgian mate.
Few months after buying my LHD heater I started to install it.
First I don't know how you guys manage to do that in 3 hours, I spent around 1h30 to prepare the work (removing the dashboard, doing a lot of cleaning, removing the battery etc).
Today I spent 3 hours to remove the old unit and put the new one (ok I am big having big hands, so his my friend) but some bolts are in unfriendly place ! May be we do not have the correct tools neither).
We stopped because it was late, and because of a technical issue, for a LHD installation, the hoses are too short.  

Also FYI, look what it gives:

Posted Image

In a VX220, everything is the otherway around, the iside of the blower is against the side of the car, in the LHD it will be next to the battery (we tried the other way around, but we didn't manage to push it below the servo brake and thus were not able to bolt it to the car.

I'll come back to you when I'll have the correct hoses to plug it.

Cheers, 
Christophe

Christophe, that is the correct way to install it for the LHD version. When you say they hoses are too short, do you mean the water hoses from the metal pipes to the heater? I have only seen one installed LHD unit and didnt hear of any problems, so I am interested to know what they are and how to improve them.

The hoses from the car (metal pipe) are a bit too short. Let me show you:

Posted Image

Not That much but a couple of centimeters.  I'll show you the final installation as soon as I get the one I ordered.

#63 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ah, thank you for that. I have since relocated the outlets to use the blank points on the side and 90 degree adaptors. 

Posted Image

Hopefully this addressed the problem. You can make the same adaptions by using 90 degree G1/4 to 1/2 inch (13mm) barbs. They are the same parts used for computer watercooling, so should be available easily. I'm sorry I did not make this modification in time for yours! It is always more difficult designing for a car I cannot test.

Edited by fezzasus, 11 August 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#64 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Indeed it is difficult to design just by thinking.  It is already sometime difficult to say 'ok on a VX it's that side so in my car I have to put it...that way.. no that way  :yeahthat: )

But I am really happy to be busy doing this modification, the original part out of the car was looking bad, I am not astonished it was not working well.  There was even an big hole on the bottom but I didn't find the missing part in the car (did they build my car with a broken heater :P ?).  It is big fun, hard time, but the pleasure to accomplish quite a heavy (from my point of view) update of the car.

I'll keep you informed.

#65 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

By the way, quick question, there is (except the hoses) one connection I still have to perform but I don't remember having such a plug: 

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]=> four spade connectors to wiring loom (black to black, green/grey to grey, green/blue to blue, green/yellow to yellow)[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Posted Image[/color]

However I have one white plug with 3 wires from the old heater + 1 wire with a strange plug coming from the fan.  I should have missed an explanation somewhere  :blush:

#66 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

The three wire connection on the old heater goes to the resistors, the connector you want to use is before that, so follow the wire back from the white plug and you will find the black four plug connector.

#67 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Ok thanks ;-)

#68 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Just for the fun, my friends of myspeedster.ch are wondering the weight of this heater versus the OEM.  Any idea ?  I would say +/- equivalent.

#69 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Not sure, but i'll have an answer for you tomorrow (I have an original in the loft)

#70 RabnaKS

RabnaKS

If anyone can talk Bllx, I can!💣

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:MTB, VX220, oh & cars, golf, sarcasm with humour!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

After reading this, I consider my small rachet & 8mm socket lost until I have to do this.  It is under the heater fan & will stay there.  But thanks for going to those lengths, we all need this kind of assistance.

#71 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Have to wait another week to have the job completed, hoses ordered on ebay not yet arrived  :sleep:

#72 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

As advice by Tom, I found it, plug it, and it works fine !! 

Posted Image

Ok still don't have my hoses but at least I have tried the fan and it works great !

#73 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Weight is 4.1 kg for the new unit.

#74 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Another question, as I just received my hoses and should complete the installation this week end:

Regarding the hoses from the car do I have to plug them in the same position than you guys in UK (RHD) knowing that my setup is LHD ?

I guess the fluid direction is the same but I prefer ask  :blush:

Edited by NZGilead, 23 August 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#75 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Just for fun:

#76 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Any ideas why mine is only blowing out Warm air even on the cold setting ? It worked fine for a week or so, not it's always hot.

#77 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

I think the non-potted controllers can get wet and fail. All new ones are potted, although I have had a worrying number of people (about five) have this problem. PM me your address and i'll get a replacement to you in the next week or so.

#78 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

what are the controllers you are speaking about ?

#79 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

The box with the electronic circuits in. Yours is fine as it's a newer design.

#80 NZGilead

NZGilead

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

The box with the electronic circuits in. Yours is fine as it's a newer design.

Yes indeed ! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users