traction TC slippery cold damp

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Kames :poke:

Love it! :D

#22 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Very stiff springs seemed to not help me either, when I moved to the CF ARB setup and on 450 rears my rear traction improved massively.... But it's more likely to make a difference on worse surfaces that a flat motorway I reckon?

This is interesting. I would like enough compliance to make it more exploitable on less than perfect surfaces. Right now it feels too skittish on uneven/broken surfaces to get anything out of the engine's performance.

It could be that the rubber/weather is the main issue but it does feel very stiffly sprung.

Bloody hell! These things really are money pits when you get into 'sorting' them.

#23 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

...That said you don't want it too soft either. Don't want passengers thinking the car is comfortable otherwise they want to come out with you all the time, which reduces acceleration. :poke:/>

Ha ha. Very good point. Passengers also slow you down through bitching about going too fast (if they're a family member - especially through marriage).

The other thing is that a passengers presence impacts fuel economy...which means more visits to the petrol station...which means less time driving it. :D/>

Edited by MrDCG, 28 December 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#24 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Very stiff springs seemed to not help me either, when I moved to the CF ARB setup and on 450 rears my rear traction improved massively.... But it's more likely to make a difference on worse surfaces that a flat motorway I reckon?

This is interesting. I would like enough compliance to make it more exploitable on less than perfect surfaces. Right now it feels too skittish on uneven/broken surfaces to get anything out of the engine's performance.

It could be that the rubber/weather is the main issue but it does feel very stiffly sprung.

Bloody hell! These things really are money pits when you get into 'sorting' them.

Does your car have adjustable shocks on it or is it the standard jobbies?
You really need the dampening to be good when you are driving around edinburgh. The roads round here are awful.

#25 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

This is interesting. I would like enough compliance to make it more exploitable on less than perfect surfaces. Right now it feels too skittish on uneven/broken surfaces Edinburgh to get anything out of the engine's performance.

Edited by LY_Scott, 28 December 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#26 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

:lol: heh high five Bob. I've drove in the last two days with the roads being quiet. The surfaces in town are horrific in the VX.

Edited by LY_Scott, 28 December 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#27 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

:lol: heh high five Bob.

I've drove in the last two days with the roads being quiet. The surfaces in town are horrific in the VX.

I didn't drive the vx for ages because I was in Edinburgh a lot.

#28 Zuber

Zuber

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Finding a way to motivate myself to get fit. Anything Interesting.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Ha ha. Yeah, just meant for a more even delivery of the good stuff...

Before anyone says it...no, I don't regret buying a Tubby over a NA/SC. :D

To be clear, I'm happy with sideways but I'd like to have a bit more predictability over when it's going and *some* degree of modulation!
:D
:D

So you wish you had an N/A or SC, but are trying to convince yourself otherwise :D

Zuber

#29 Black sheep

Black sheep

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

I don't think you have posted what air pressure you have put in your rear tyres as if its quiet high then this would easily step the back end out in the wet, I have the same tyres and stage your running my pressure is 24p.s.i in the rears and would say I have a aggressive driving style and haven't found that problem in the wet obviously in first and second on load , but not 3rd .......

#30 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'm running 23/25 psi. With 425lb rear springs and damping set as soft as possible without reducing grip. The more you get involved with motorsport the more you realize softer is usually grippier - its hard to get your head round to begin with. AD08's are great but not cut out for reducing wheelspin this time of year. Kind regards, Paul

#31 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Get some tyres that have got an A or at worst B wet rating as its fcuking wet all the time in this country :lol: or cold We have three days hot weather per year and a lot puts tyres on that are sh*t in the cold /wet ? But I suppose they are awesome on them three days :lol: if you push to the limits of them in the sun that is. Not sure I get this tyre choice thing, Mine is low solid and will p*ss past anything in the wet/cold no problem, than again it has no power :lol:

#32 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Get some tyres that have got an A or at worst B wet rating as its fcuking wet all the time in this country :lol: or cold

We have three days hot weather per year and a lot puts tyres on that are sh*t in the cold /wet ?

But I suppose they are awesome on them three days :lol: if you push to the limits of them in the sun that is.

Not sure I get this tyre choice thing,

Mine is low solid and will p*ss past anything in the wet/cold no problem, than again it has no power :lol:

Sound advice and something i'm going to think carefully about when i need to buy tyres! I'm starting to forget what the sun looks like, it has rained everyday for as long as i can remember down South!

Edited by Andy_VX, 29 December 2012 - 12:09 AM.

#33 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Get some tyres that have got an A or at worst B wet rating as its fcuking wet all the time in this country :lol: or cold

We have three days hot weather per year and a lot puts tyres on that are sh*t in the cold /wet ?

But I suppose they are awesome on them three days :lol: if you push to the limits of them in the sun that is.

Mine is low solid and will p*ss past anything in the wet/cold no problem, than again it has no power :lol:

Sound advice and something i'm going to think carefully about when i need to buy tyres! I'm starting to forget what the sun looks like, it has rained everyday for as long as i can remember down South!

Just my view and my car has an awesome 143bhp :lol:

I can get to its limits of grip in the dry and its predictable, safe ish and fun and you have to be a little mad :lol:

I can't drive that well to do the same in the wet on less grippy dry weather tyres and as its pissing down all the

time i went for good wet tyres. B rated front and back and would probably try and find A rated next change if pos

Edited by ghand, 29 December 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#34 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I suppose it depends what you use your car for. i'm not lucky enough to have 2 cars so i have to use my car as a commuter which means i want something that is good in the wet. But some people just use their cars for dry weekends and track days and so will want decent dry tyres with lots of grip. it's a compromise i suppose.

#35 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

I suppose it depends what you use your car for. i'm not lucky enough to have 2 cars so i have to use my car as a commuter which means i want something that is good in the wet. But some people just use their cars for dry weekends and track days and so will want decent dry tyres with lots of grip. it's a compromise i suppose.

Oh agreed, but mine is a daily and I want all my grip for the wet if pos,a good wet tyre will still be fine for me in the dry,

#36 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Bridgies ftw! (for the wet)

#37 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

:yeahthat: I wouldn't use my road tyres on track anyway. Luckily i have a old set of wheels and tyres i can fit so i don't have to worry about ruining them!

#38 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

Very stiff springs aren't always the answer, your damping needs to be able to cope. If the damping can't keep up with the spring rate you'll lose traction (I think). My understanding from my limited track experience is if you have too stiff a spring rate you end up kind of chuntering over bumps. More compliance comes from better damping and increased contact with the road.

There are others who are far more experienced in this field and I suggest listening to them, but bare in mind that they will be track biased and you need to consider where you use the car most. My first year at the charity bruntingthorpe day was ok, car lacked grip a little but I enjoyed it. Roll on one year and a different geo and I pretty much killed a set of tyres in the day (roughly 4~5 mm gone) in the day. All the wear localised to the specific areas of each tyre in contact with the road based on the geo. The car was so much better from the previous year. Currently looking to change to a more dry weather track based tyre as I rarely use the car other than a little hill climbing and sunny jaunts but still think the geo is a little aggressive for the road and my situation. Something I'll probably change come the spring.

Just my two cents

Tom

#39 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

drove the VX for the first time in a month today.. (yesterday now) beeing my 3rd Winter you would assume i'm used to it by now, but you just get used to summer and I always have to say to myself to pull it back, I was spinning in 3rd today partial throttle :( was not 100% throttle all day and wont be till march* *unless there is some really nice dry, sunny weather that enables me to get some heat into the rubber... ** **wont happen I live in england

#40 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

AD08's are B rated for wet braking. Although they are not meant for temperatures around 0 degrees according to Yokohama. I use mine all year round but do take it easy at this time of year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: traction, TC, slippery, cold, damp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users