• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

email the pics to back on track , all of that looks repairable. If doing the work yourself ,then I would just get a front clam on and a new ally rad.

#42 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Really want to start taking it apart but fools rush in... going to send lots of emails out today and get some quotes first. What are people's opinions on these? http://www.ebay.co.u...76a2c715&_uhb=1 worth looking in to?

#43 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Grab yourself one of these puppies... Roadhawk

Yeah, right, that would have helped. You might get something usable from a Roadhawk if you're in a floodlit football stadium but on an unlit road at night, you'd get chuff all of any use. Much better to have the £200 in your pocket to be able to use for the clam repairs.

It was on the A35 near Christchurch. it's a very dark stretch of road that goes to 2 lanes for about 500 yards for overtaking.

Posted Image

#44 danyeates

danyeates

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

I did have a quick look at it this morning Andy, but I was running late as I was so tired from being kept up late dragging some plastic car out of a bloody ditch!! Haha! Looks pretty nasty, but as I expected last night. I knew the clam mounts had snapped off, I could see it was all loose. It might be worth looking at that bottom clam section, might be easier to glass that on rather than rebuild a badly damaged clam. Speak to Silverlake Salvage, they might even have something in stock, or might know of one.

#45 danyeates

danyeates

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

If you don't need your car over the weekend, try and get the clam off and have a look how bad it is inside.

#46 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Ok Dan i'll take it apart. i'm not going to use it as it is. I've emailed BOT and Nick at Nuffield. That front section i saw on ebay look perfect. that's where all the damage is. like you say i'd rather that than repair a badly damaged clam.

#47 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

The MVS replica bit works but takes a fair bit of prep to make it fit perfectly and make it ready for painting. Personally, if the original was repairable, I'd much rather do that.

#48 danyeates

danyeates

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ok Dan i'll take it apart. i'm not going to use it as it is. I've emailed BOT and Nick at Nuffield. That front section i saw on ebay look perfect. that's where all the damage is. like you say i'd rather that than repair a badly damaged clam.

Shouldn't take too long to take off as all the fixings were changed to stainless not so long ago, but give yourself 3-4 hours to get it off. The only thing is, I've still got the jack in the boot of my car! I think there's one in the boot of the Civic if you want to use that (junk scissor jack).

#49 danyeates

danyeates

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

The MVS replica bit works but takes a fair bit of prep to make it fit perfectly and make it ready for painting. Personally, if the original was repairable, I'd much rather do that.

That's good to know.

Andy, ring Nick at Nuffield, he doesn't really do emails!

#50 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Damage doesn't look too bad at all considering! Looks repairable. Glad you're still feeling tip top today thumbsup What about the wishbone mount points etc? They could have transmitted/absorbed a lot of stress into them when going off the road

#51 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Drop Jonnyboy a PM as he was meant to have front VX clams soon that will require a lot less prep than the MVS ones. It may even be a cheaper option that paying the labour charge to rebuild the damaged clam back up.

#52 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Damage doesn't look too bad at all considering! Looks repairable.

Glad you're still feeling tip top today thumbsup

What about the wishbone mount points etc? They could have transmitted/absorbed a lot of stress into them when going off the road

I've had a look and all seems to be ok. Will have a better idea once the wheels and clam are off. It drove fine after the accident. drove it about 5 miles and it pulled up straight with now wheel wobble etc. The wheels are mint still with no chips or scratches. i didn't hit anything hard so i think it's just body work damage which is good!

#53 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Drop Jonnyboy a PM as he was meant to have front VX clams soon that will require a lot less prep than the MVS ones. It may even be a cheaper option that paying the labour charge to rebuild the damaged clam back up.

thanks, will do.

#54 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ahh ok thanks, i've not had any experience with them but i did think joining may be difficult.

#55 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Well, got on well today, i removed the front clam and have had a good look around. the good news is it is just clam damage and some sill damage. Everything else is fine which i'm pleased about! Crash box, rad housing and all suspension / wishbones etc look fine. So i just need to repair / purchase a new clam and get the sill repaired.

Posted Image
photo 4 by andydavidyeates, on Flickr

Posted Image
photo 3 by andydavidyeates, on Flickr

Posted Image
photo 2 by andydavidyeates, on Flickr

#56 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Glad to hear it is all superficial - would be better if hadn't happened at all. But better this than anything else.

#57 danyeates

danyeates

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

The luxury of my nicely lit, carpetted garage with power and a stereo! Better than using dad's garage eh?!

#58 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Ha yeah Dan i was like this is great fun! lol had it done in no time! nice to have some tools that are organised!

#59 danyeates

danyeates

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Ha yeah Dan i was like this is great fun! lol had it done in no time! nice to have some tools that are organised!

Just getting prepared for TVR ownership..... :poke:

#60 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Haha! I've had all sorts going through my head since the accident! i fancy doing something different. maybe complete re-spray in white or petrol... Also been thinking about a GT-86

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users