• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#281 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thats interesting... I will look forward to trying it out for myself.

#282 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

be interested to hear what you think of it... one thing most people ignore though is how much road manners are affected by tyres, R spec tyres make hopeless road tyres, and no matter how good the car is setup for the road, they are never going to flatter it...

#283 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Have to agree with Scuffers here. It just sounds like you are trying to get your NA done up for free Robin. I'm not sure what it will prove to anyone else or that anyone else is that bothered about your challenge.

:lol:/> I would pay for it if I wanted it.

I'm saying this is what need to be done if he wants the credibility he's asking for. Afterwards he could put it back how it was to be honest. I am very happy with it as is and do not feel the need for any of these bits. I was offering him the opportunity of the use of the car and an independant driver to add weight to his claims. I have no interest in keeping the parts.

:)/>

So whats the point in directing this at scuffers? I could make your car handle better.. His credability wont change as its such an easy task to complete..

What will give him credability is the following.

Mikes results from this years time attack, i have all the data from last year and the only thing thats changed this year is all the stuff scuffers has put on and setup.. If the car is faster than last year it gives scuffers some credability.

Well, I'm sure Scuffers will make Mike's car quicker by a big margin (i'll happily put money on it) Mike's car has had considerable upgrades such as a huge wing, big brakes, brake bias, big calipers all round, lighter discs, GThubs front & rear, wishbone mods, new arb, even more weight reduction, up-rated bushes, steering arms, aggressive Geo with big camber changes (-5?-6?) lower COG & probably a lot more besides. NO other VX will be quicker around a track IMO. I'm sure several will try though!

Mikes an excellent driver, but I'm sure he'll agree that Scuffers will drive his car even quicker around a track than himself, due to his experience.

#284 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Can i ask What tyre's do you recommend for the road?

#285 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

something with a low load rating and soft side-walls (relatively). I used to love Yoko A039R's but they are long gone now... I quite like Kuhmo KU39's, although the front is not perfect... (designed for much heavier cars)

#286 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Deleted post

Edited by Bumblebee, 19 March 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#287 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thread going even further off topic .... thumbsdown

#288 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

I have spent quite a bit of dosh on getting increasing the cars power and making it that power reasonably well delivered (for a 300bhp turbo) but the suspension needs an overhall as it has had 5 years of pounding on track and has done 60,000 miles. I just thought whilst it was all being done it might be an idea to upgrade the ARB as it wouldn't cost much overall.

I guess the next question is what has your car got on it now? (in suspension terms), what wheels/tyres do you run, etc.?

I have some old nitrons. Not sure on spring rate they were on the car when i got it. They were refurbed a few years ago but may need re doing.

Wheels - 16 inch 17 inch combo. Toyo 888's for track and Khumo 39 for road.

Matt Bentley is going to give it a full refresh in terms of bushes etc and probably a replacement steering rack.

So...what arb for fast track work with some road driving....but 3rd car so not used on a daily basis.

#289 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thread going even further off topic .... thumbsdown/>

How's the Porsche? ;)

#290 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

It seems to have an unusually firm ARB thanks. thumbsup

#291 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

I have some old nitrons. Not sure on spring rate they were on the car when i got it. They were refurbed a few years ago but may need re doing.

Wheels - 16 inch 17 inch combo. Toyo 888's for track and Khumo 39 for road.

Matt Bentley is going to give it a full refresh in terms of bushes etc and probably a replacement steering rack.

So...what arb for fast track work with some road driving....but 3rd car so not used on a daily basis.

that being the case, 1" no question, if your priority is track.

Nitron wise, if they have been over 18 months or so, then yes, they are likely to have the gas charge depleted by now..

Also, I would advise replacing the R888's with Kuhmo V70's, they really are night and day better, my view is that they are at the moment, the best R spec tyre I have ever driven on, and size for size, very close to the performance of slicks, back to back, on a technical cct with a good mix of corners, I could get the V70's to 1 sec of the time I did on slicks (same car, same day etc), although over 10+ laps I could not maintain that pace on the V70's without letting them 'rest' again.

what else does your car have non-standard?

#292 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Im coming away drom V70's now. They are brilliant tyres but the wear rate is unacceptable for me. I think i went through three full sets last year and seen as my car spends most of its time in pieces its not good. I normally go through 2 sets of rear R888's and one set of fronts a year but the kumhos seem to wear the fronts nearly as quickly as the rears. If your not bothered about lap times and your not loaded then i would stick to R888's.

#293 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

what else does your car have non-standard?

All the other mods are engine based. Charge cooled 300hhp.

Oh...forgot. Front AP 4 pot brakes with Performance Friction pads.

#294 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Im coming away drom V70's now. They are brilliant tyres but the wear rate is unacceptable for me. I think i went through three full sets last year and seen as my car spends most of its time in pieces its not good. I normally go through 2 sets of rear R888's and one set of fronts a year but the kumhos seem to wear the fronts nearly as quickly as the rears. If your not bothered about lap times and your not loaded then i would stick to R888's.

What kind of mileage are we talking?

I have been impressed at how low the wear rate is (Relatively So long as we are not talking the softs).

Kind of thinking your suspension/setup is too aggressive on them?

#295 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Medium compound. Not sure about mileage but maybe 3 dry trackdays and all 4 are for the bin. To be fair i fcuked the first set up by running them with too much pressure and they deformed. 888's seem to wear with the rears twice as fast as the fronts though. They dont like standing water either. Slightly cheaper than 888s though and if i cared about lap times id stick with them. Nevs car never gets close to a track and he has a ridiculous amount of power to put through his rear wheels yet his fronts still wore nearly as quick as the rears.

#296 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yup, I killed two fronts for one rear. I am hoping I will get better wear this year with the new set up.

#297 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

way way back when they first came out I know Pete and Tom ran a set at Silverstone and after every session we took pyrometer data to try and learn how to run them.

quick look back, was it really 2008

Posted Image

#298 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Nevs car never gets close to a track and he has a ridiculous amount of power to put through his rear wheels yet his fronts still wore nearly as quick as the rears.

The V70s do wear out bloody fast. I'd recommend using hard compound on the rears if you have decent power or they wont last long at all. I just use mine on the road and the rears only lasted about 3 or 4 thousand miles. The V70s don't need as much warming up as the R888s so are better for the road in that respect. Also their sidewall profile is very different to the R888s, without the buldge that help add a considerable element of softness/compliance to bumps. I feel the carcass of the V70s isn't strong enough as the centre line of my rears was worn 2 or 3 mm more than the outside edges. This is usually a sign of the centre line deflecting outwards due to centifugal forces, or perhaps they simply don't like running at around 26 PSI. My old R888s did not do this.

HTH.

Edited by Nev, 20 March 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#299 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

eh? V70 side walls are much stiffer than 888's 26Psi is too low as a running pressure, 28 is more like it - the ultimate test being the wear and temp patterns. running V70's or the like on the road is pointless, they wear out quicker than normal road tyres and dont give the ride or everyday grip of normal road tyres (on road conditions) if your scrubbing them out fast on track then your cars setup is the problem, in that it's not using the tyre right and working them too hard, either because of too aggressive a geo, too much suspension component compliance or damping terms. I would expect to get ~7-8 full trackdays out of a set of V70's... I can see on the road they won't last too well though, but consider a second set of rimms for road work (1 set of rims is cheaper than the tyres)

#300 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I always thought that it was generally, the more agressive the greater the tyre wear, but this also applies if the set up is not suited to that particular tyre as well? I run Goodyear GSD3s on it generally and R888 on track when I can trail the car there and back, otherwise it is the Goodyears (which are fine for me and I like to have more movement out of the car at more managable speeds on track days), but my R888s have done 4 tracks days and a couple of thousand road miles and the rears are (almost) dead. The Goodyears have done 10+ track days and 10k miles and still only 3/4 worn on the rears. I don't slouch on TDs and drive the car hard on the road and was always confused as to why the Goodyears lasted so long, but perhaps this explains it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users