• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#301 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

gy gsd3 have a utqg wear rating of 280 , compared to a R888 = 100 utqg , you would expect the former to last 2.8 times longer in test conditions

#302 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

track tyre vs road tyre simples

#303 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I must be doing something wrong. In 2 1/2 years and approx 14 track days, a couple being wet, I'm still on my original set of r888 medium fronts, which are still road legal. Also I'm only on my 2nd set of rears which are also road legal. Obviously not trying hard enough.

#304 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

I always thought that it was generally, the more agressive the greater the tyre wear, but this also applies if the set up is not suited to that particular tyre as well?

thing to consider here is that if you are on OEM suspension and then stick sticky tyres on the car, whatever geo you have on it becomes somewhat variable as the suspension parts all have some compliance in them, more load, more compliance, less accurate geo.

in bad cases (like very old wishbone bushes/work ball joints, etc) I have seen cars that end up going slower over a lap with softer tyres.

#305 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

gy gsd3 have a utqg wear rating of 280 , compared to a R888 = 100 utqg , you would expect the former to last 2.8 times longer in test conditions

in general yes, but UTQG ratings are somewhat hit/miss, they are only really a guide

#306 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

they are only really a guide

And a very poor one at that

#307 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

its not an indicator of performance, only tread depth vs distance against the benchmark tyre doing the same test . But as an official specification stamped on the side, marketing people will abuse how consumers trust any system. So I don't think the testing is faulty.

#308 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

track tyre vs road tyre simples

I wasn't comparing the wear of the R888 against the GSD3s, just that both lasted longer than I thought/have heard from others that they would

I always thought that it was generally, the more agressive the greater the tyre wear, but this also applies if the set up is not suited to that particular tyre as well?

thing to consider here is that if you are on OEM suspension and then stick sticky tyres on the car, whatever geo you have on it becomes somewhat variable as the suspension parts all have some compliance in them, more load, more compliance, less accurate geo.

in bad cases (like very old wishbone bushes/work ball joints, etc) I have seen cars that end up going slower over a lap with softer tyres.

I am fully poly bushed and on fairly new gaz golds so things should be pretty tight down there.

Edited by VXRed, 20 March 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#309 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I am fully poly bushed and on fairly new gaz golds so things should be pretty tight down there.

shockingly bad assumption.

my experience of poly bushes is that they are more compliant than (new) OEM ones (for the VX)

I'll not comment on the other bit!

#310 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

:lol: Not a gaz man eh? They haven't been on the car long, and I was comparing to the ones I took out.... That's interesting though the the OEM would be better. Does that mean you would recommend the OEM bushes over powerflex?

#311 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

or Ertacetal !

#312 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I like the exige bushes.

#313 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

my experience of poly bushes is that they are more compliant than (new) OEM ones (for the VX)

I have to disagree Simon. I have a lot of experience with Poly Bushes and all are far less compliant than OEM Lotus ones and have the added advantage of being sleeved rather than relying on clamped twist. On the downside, the poly ones can be a bitch to fit and will be quite tight until bedded in.

IMHO the poly bush option is a better one for road cars. For a race car it would be Rose Joints or Ertacetal.

Edited by Cliffie, 20 March 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#314 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have to disagree Simon. I have a lot of experience with Poly Bushes and all are far less compliant than OEM Lotus ones and have the added advantage of being sleeved rather than relying on clamped twist. On the downside, the poly ones can be a bitch to fit and will be quite tight until bedded in.

IMHO the poly bush option is a better one for road cars. For a race car it would be Rose Joints or Ertacetal.

need to look at this another way...

I have 'tested' (as in put on a press, and measured deflection vs. load) OEM Lotus ones and poly (in this case Powerflex) and in radial load, the OEM ones are stiffer, in axial the Poly ones were stiffer.

now, in cornering loads, it's the radial loads your dealing with, under brakes/power, it's axial.

either way, I would either go with new OEM or Ertacetal (unless we start to talk about going spherical etc etc).

#315 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

We need to see laptimes for the differences between oem and poly bushes... Only way to tell.

#316 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

:lol: But it doesn't matter if they're tested on wildly different cars with massively different drivers. It's still proof. :P

Edited by techieboy, 20 March 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#317 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

We need to see laptimes for the differences between oem and poly bushes...

Only way to tell.

ultimately, yes, but with things like bushes, it's an easy thing to empirically measure and quantify.

with most cars the OEM bushes are way more compliant than Poly, Elise/VX is odd in this respect, not that this stops people selling them as stiffer.

other issue is the OEM ones now on cars are some what? 6+ years old, so they will be far from 'as new', ie. anything will be better.

for road only cars I like the OEM ones, only issue is with higher powered cars being able to 'push' the wishbones axially, although this can be delt with by making up packers for the sides.

edit..

for example, this cars on new OEM bushes (and old A048's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_WbFBwBrE

Edited by Scuffers, 20 March 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#318 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

this can be delt with by making up packers for the sides.

As in some big washers, like we'd do to replace the castor "shims" and snubber washers with poly bushes? Going to be hard work getting those into the wishbone mounts though. :wacko:

I've got a full set of OEM bushes to go back onto my car, to replace the poly bushes, so might look at doing something along those lines.

#319 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

As in some big washers, like we'd do to replace the castor "shims" and snubber washers with poly bushes? Going to be hard work getting those into the wishbone mounts though. :wacko:

I've got a full set of OEM bushes to go back onto my car, to replace the poly bushes, so might look at doing something along those lines.

kind of...

think like a thick washer with a hole big enough to clear the bush tube...

easy enough to fit them, as you slide the bush into the mount with them held in place (and use some sticky thick grease)

#320 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Let's clear one thing up Polyurathane bushes and Ertacetal are essentially the same thing in terms of physical properties, the only difference in this application is the grooved metal inserts to retain grease. so why are they being recommended for different applications?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users