Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

I complied this along time ago

Pads

This is the best post I've seen about what pads there are available

Hi

I've just posted on "bedding in procedure" on different brake pads... A slightly different version here to include 1155's and mixing pads front and rear..

We tend to ask customers to rate themselves from 0-10 where 0 is: "I only use my car to go to the supermarket" to 10: "I only use my car on the track"

We tend to recommend (remembering that one person's "4" is another person's "7"):

0 - 3 - use the OE Pad, and benefit from the thousands of hours of development the manufacturer has put into getting it right

1 - 3 EBC Greenstuff (as a cheap replacement for the OE pad - the benefits being low dust)

2 - 4 Mintex 1144 (an improvement over EBC, OK for road/ track days but do suffer from high-temperature fall off of performance). My personal prefernce is that 1155 are too hard for a VX as these are designed for much heavier cars.

3 - 5 Pagid RS42 (known as ‘Pagid Blue’), RS4-2 gives a good low temperature response. It is very stable, with superior modulation and feel. RS4-2 has a medium co-efficient of friction with good pad and disc life. Suitable for many applications especially where feel and control is needed. A good road and track pad, which loses little of the road low temp

5 - 10 Pagid RS14 (known as "Black") RS14 is a ceramic pad (that's why they are twice the price of the Mintex pad) with excellent fade resistance and good at all temperatures you are likely to generate in a VX. A high friction, high temperature material with good pad life at this level of friction. They do squeal if not beded in properly (See below), and tend to be "knocky" on EBC turbogrooved discs or the equivalent - they work best on a plain or lightly grooved disc.

We have tried RS15 but remain unconvinced that they are better than RS14. RS14 is the recommended "Sport and Performance" pad from Lotus. RS15 have good initial bite but have less feel than RS14.

We would not recommend mixing pad compounds front and rear. Lotus/ Vauxhal spent a lot of R&D budget in getting the balnce right - mixing compounds cannot improve this.

We will try to price-match any UK supplier. If you would like us to fit, we are the only company in the country that can supply, fit and safely bed-in Pagid pads before you leave our premises!

I've just seen on another thread that Vauxhall charge fortunes to change pads! We'll fit a car set for £39.50 plus VAT.

www.plansmotorsport.com

However while Plans doesn't recommend mixing componds some of the members have found the following:(from when I asked about it on Type116)

I have the 14/15 setup on my NA, have done since I bought it 3 years ago. I have tried it with 14's all round and the front used to dive heavily under hard braking, which made the rears light and do bugger all. Switched to the 15's and it made the car squat on all 4's when under heavy braking, so despite the technical school of thought being that it *shouldn't* work, in reality it does.

Performance Braking, 01600 713117, ask for John and tell him Mike & Andy sent you(y)

Disks

The general concensus is that you should just use the std cheap disks with a good set of pads. However you can fit disks with grooves and/or drilled, however the drilled disks should really have cast in holes rather than machined and should be checked regually. They are easy to get hold of as they are the same as fitted to the Vectra and other GM models.

The Factory upgrade drilled disks are different to all the other as they have a far larger ventilation gap and are lighter than std, but they're very expensive. clicky

One Issue that has been seen is that on track std disks can overheat and go blue, prob due to the small cooling channel, the cheapest solution to this is to remove foglights and fit cooling ducts.

A few companies, including plans, do disks with seperate ali bells in the center that have larger cooling channels and are lighter.

Due to the hub pattern being a std GM one you can get bigger, 308mm, disk from the SAAB aero and fit a spacer below the caliper, SAAB Aero disk thread a dis advantage of these are they are quite heavy

Upgrades

There is the TMS 4 pot that is well documented

As for the ultimate brakes I'll leave that to cyberman.

Cyberman's ultimate brake thread

How's that, any thing I've missed?

However I do subscribe to the theory of using a higher friction pad on the rear. ie pagid RS14 front and RS15 rear for track or RS42 front and RS14 rear for the road (which is what I run, partly as I got some rear RS14's free)

#42 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I've only had experience of 1144 and 1155s (road and track). 1144s didn't last too long. 1155s have been perfectly adequate for me on road and track. I give them a stamp as I leave my cul de sac and they are good to go imo

#43 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Performance Friction 01's are an excellent track pad but are expensive and produce a monumental level of dust that WILL eat your wheels.

Very impressed with them on thier first outing on track. I am washing the wheels twice weekly though!

A tick here for CL5+ too. My last set lasted right down to the last mm with no signs of breaking up as has been cited elsewhere.

Have used Pagids RS14 in they past but they too create a lot of dust.

#44 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

Another thumbsup for 14/15 combo. Works a treat, never had rear lock up which tells me the balance is good with them (I run 4 pot kit up front). I will stick my neck out and say its not worth getting the cheapest discs as their grade of steel may not be as good. When I went for cheapo discs I found I heated my fluid quicker on track leading to soggy pedal. This happened less when on their Vauxhall discs, it could have been a coincidence thought. It sounds like Mintex discs are faily cheap about £10 each more than the cheapo ones, so you probably cant go wrong with them.

#45 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Ds2500 for the leftfield option. I rate mine very highly indeed. Far better than the CL in my view

I run DS3000 and absolutely love them.

Much better than the CL that I had before for feel, initial bite, fade resistance, overall stopping power.

#46 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

I have not looked back since I went for RC5+, never faded them and had non of the issues some people mention, preferred them to the RS14 but have not tried any of the DS range. Yellow stuff I got for free and could have had them free as often as I wanted at the time, I would not install them again even for free and am unlikely to even try another EBC pad. AS said before, "They feel like blocks of wood".

#47 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Why do you prefer the rc5+ to the RS14's?

#48 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I thought they had better initial bite and were more consistent. I had no issue with the RS14 either though.

#49 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Sounds good, thanks.

#50 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Are you even more confused now lol?

#51 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yes. But still leaning towards the RS14's. I'm waiting until the weekend before I order as I'm hoping to sell my M3 which frees up some cash to make an order for new shiny vx bits (uprated toe links and pads..).

#52 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

Pagid RS14's now orderred. Thanks for all feedback!

#53 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Fast road cars, trackdays & sprints, snowboarding.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

RC5+ fronts, RC6 rears to give more retardation on rears but most importantly with comparable friction/temperature gradients (like Pagid combo mentioned earlier, but even closer graphs). Run for a year now on road and trackdays. More bite than DS2500 cold and hot (stops as hard as a lightweight Lotus 2-11 on quick laps around Oulton Park, which surprised us both, no noticeable fade) and is right up to limit of maximising rear braking vs fronts - you can feel it slightly skipping if you don't get your braking finished before turning in on track, which is ok and incidentally I would think wouldn't be noticeable on a Turbo with it's slightly greater rear weight bias. More dust from RC6's when on track, hardly noticeable in road use. No squeal from these. Inner pad and disc gets slightly more wear as usual (from heat on track) so I've added simple but effective air ducts tie-wrapped in place.

Edited by Tail slide, 25 March 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#54 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

RC5+ fronts, RC6 rears to give more retardation on rears but most importantly with comparable friction/temperature gradients (like Pagid combo mentioned earlier, but even closer graphs).

Run for a year now on road and trackdays. More bite than DS2500 cold and hot (stops as hard as a lightweight Lotus 2-11 on quick laps around Oulton Park, which surprised us both, no noticeable fade) and is right up to limit of maximising rear braking vs fronts - you can feel it slightly skipping if you don't get your braking finished before turning in on track, which is ok and incidentally I would think wouldn't be noticeable on a Turbo with it's slightly greater rear weight bias. More dust from RC6's when on track, hardly noticeable in road use. No squeal from these. Inner pad and disc gets slightly more wear as usual (from heat on track) so I've added simple but effective air ducts tie-wrapped in place.

What discs are you using and are you on 2 or 4 pots?

#55 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hes on stock calipers and I confirm that it stops very well! Im of the same opinion about rear bias.

#56 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I went from standard to Mintex 1144 (big improvemnet) sbs pro track (again, an improvement over the 1144 all round) Then Carbon Lorraine 5+. Better still, but a tad soft so wore out quicker Then CL6. Better again, but hard, a bit noisy and shed stuff over the wheels gets in the paint and rusts, but dont care as theyere amazing. Drove my daughters car which before we bought it had new disks and new EDBC green stuff pads. Crap, worse than 144's, probably wrorse than original, no feel, low stopping power. couldnt get them off fast enough. Martin s

#57 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

CL still do the best track pads by far and the RC6, RC6E RC8 etc compounds are epic. However, I have seen plenty of inconsistency with the RC5+ compound, I think they have made changes between batches to solve issues and as a result some batches haven't performed as expected. As a result I steer clear of the RC5+ these days and the others squeal like a tuck pig so not ideal for road use.

#58 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Fast road cars, trackdays & sprints, snowboarding.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

CL still do the best track pads by far and the RC6, RC6E RC8 etc compounds are epic. However, I have seen plenty of inconsistency with the RC5+ compound, I think they have made changes between batches to solve issues and as a result some batches haven't performed as expected. As a result I steer clear of the RC5+ these days and the others squeal like a tuck pig so not ideal for road use.

That's interesting.

My RC5+ were supplied mid-last year which was after several on the forums had reported breaking-up problems... so hopefully they had sorted the problem for all later batches? Mine have been fine after frequent 'from cold' use on road and a few trackdays with 10+ hot track laps (on V70 mediums, so still not the pasting they'd have with your slicks though).

For info in my usage I don't find the RC6's squeal, though perhaps helped by the radial-type disc grooves on the current discs that allegedly are the best design for keeping the pads 'clean'? Certainly I get more squeal from any pad types on the drilled discs on my TVR, and the holes need regularly cleaning out.

#59 MMSB

MMSB

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Do you use different compounds front and rear?

#60 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Do you use different compounds front and rear?

That depends on the static balance of the particular car. I have done this regularly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users