• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mouldy

Mouldy

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hi all,

since Fezzsasus has topped making heaters (last I heard at least), I decided to make my own along similar lines over winter.

Its a bit getto but its getting there... still a work in progress though. It also uses a manual valve rather than the electric one.

http://www.salsrv.pl...ter/heater.html

Fans, valve and matrix can be sourced from http://www.t7design.co.uk

Cliff

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

t7design did themselves, once upon a time, talk about producing a heater.... then nothing... http://www.vx220.org...3-vx220-heater/ If they knew how much people are paying, then I'm sure they'd be interested again :lol:

#3 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

Looks like a familiar concept

#4 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

Hopefully it's an easier fit :lol:

#5 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

psssh. I've fitted one in an hour and a half. Don't see what all the complaining is about.

#6 Mouldy

Mouldy

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

I spoke to the T7 chap and he did mention he still wanted to do a kit.

Hope its not too close to the Fessaus unit but TBH its an obvious way to do it since those mount points are there on either side of the channel.

The Fan neatly fits underneath.  Makes for an easy install - once its made of course.

I'm not planning on selling any..  its too manual.  I guess Fez had parts made up.  Could do with a better sheet metal bender.

#7 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

I think T7 thought he wouldn't make any money on it. Too many people asking if he could do it for 20p, which I thought was rediculous. Having said that, he never came back and said he'd given up, so a lot of people were still waiting until I called him and updated the thread.

I made my own also, but this was before Fezzasus delivered his excellent heater. It's a lot of bloody work!

#8 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hope its not too close to the Fessaus unit

What difference does it make? It's not as if you are competing with him or there are any patent issues.

Why re-invent the wheel?  

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

It's a lot of bloody work!

Exactly.

Only reason I'm stopping is the price of the components has risen to the point where it's not worth doing, and that's before I include my time (which is fine when you're making one, not when you're making ~200).

I could probably do more, but the price point would have to be around £500, and i'm not sure there's enough demand at that price point to justify another order of fans (minimum order of 100, or use a different design which I can order in smaller numbers, but will add another £50 to the unit cost).

In short. If I see a list of 50 people firmly committing to buy one at £500 (which will actually need to be 100 people given the normal attrition rate of a group buy), I don't see demand for it.

#10 Mouldy

Mouldy

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

Not sure how good that fan I have will be until its in. But it cost around £65. But had to be worth a try over the standard "heater" lol

#11 oldjoe

oldjoe

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

i will stick a fez heater on ebay this evening

#12 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

I must of got the only crap Fezzus heater then!? It arrived with broken plastic screws (which cost me a grand sum of £3 to replace) and now whilst replacing the battery the wires have all come loose from the socket, not just the pins, but the wires from the pins, for the £300 Tom was charging I would of expected better quality parts.

I'm looking forward to someone making a decent heater, Tom's really was a let down from all the reports I heard, yes it does heat up a LOT more than the OEM but build quality, IMO was not up to the price of the unit.

#13 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

I must of got the only crap Fezzus heater then!? It arrived with broken plastic screws (which cost me a grand sum of £3 to replace) and now whilst replacing the battery the wires have all come loose from the socket, not just the pins, but the wires from the pins, for the £300 Tom was charging I would of expected better quality parts.

I'm looking forward to someone making a decent heater, Tom's really was a let down from all the reports I heard, yes it does heat up a LOT more than the OEM but build quality, IMO was not up to the price of the unit.

I'm sorry you've had issues with it. I put a lot of effort into making sure the build quality was up to scratch although it was an iterative process; the early ones were slowly improved to the final model.

The plastic screws were included because ovetightening of the previous stainless ones could have damaged the fan. The idea (and it appears to work) was the screws would stretch when overtightened, I thought the packaging was suitable, but clearly not.

As fr as the wires, which are you referring to? The four thick wires, or the ones running from the cabin?

In terms of quality of other parts, almost all parts were the highest quality I could source. Given that the majority of heaters were posted out, and other people travelled the length of the country to have them fitted, I didn't want to have anyone come back with issues, therefore the following points were implemented as they were highlighted:

1. heater brackets made from the outset from galvanised steel to prevent corrosion, then powder coated 

2. generic heater valve changed to OEM quality item after a failure - no problems since (approx. 40 units in)

3. heater matrix changed to tighter fin, lower profile unit to save weight, aid fitting and increase warm up time (approx. 40 units in)

4. heater bracket made 5 mm thinner to aid fitting (approx 10 units in)

5. heater controller potted to weatherproof after failures of open units (approx 60 units in)

6. heater matrix bracket made with open holes at rear to aid fitting (no need to remove bolts to avoid blind attaching of bolts) - 100 units in

7. threaded holes mounting matrix bracket to bracket changed to press inserts for more durable thread. - approx 100 units in.

One of the issues with developing small products like this is the ability to test the unit fully before production. I have relied on feedback from people to improve the unit, and felt happy with the end unit that was produced. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had but they do seem fairly minor. The rest of the unit should be solid with the amount of refinement it's had.

#14 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

I'm sorry you've had issues with it. I put a lot of effort into making sure the build quality was up to scratch although it was an iterative process; the early ones were slowly improved to the final model.

The plastic screws were included because ovetightening of the previous stainless ones could have damaged the fan. The idea (and it appears to work) was the screws would stretch when overtightened, I thought the packaging was suitable, but clearly not.

As fr as the wires, which are you referring to? The four thick wires, or the ones running from the cabin?

In terms of quality of other parts, almost all parts were the highest quality I could source. Given that the majority of heaters were posted out, and other people travelled the length of the country to have them fitted, I didn't want to have anyone come back with issues, therefore the following points were implemented as they were highlighted:

1. heater brackets made from the outset from galvanised steel to prevent corrosion, then powder coated 

2. generic heater valve changed to OEM quality item after a failure - no problems since (approx. 40 units in)

3. heater matrix changed to tighter fin, lower profile unit to save weight, aid fitting and increase warm up time (approx. 40 units in)

4. heater bracket made 5 mm thinner to aid fitting (approx 10 units in)

5. heater controller potted to weatherproof after failures of open units (approx 60 units in)

6. heater matrix bracket made with open holes at rear to aid fitting (no need to remove bolts to avoid blind attaching of bolts) - 100 units in

7. threaded holes mounting matrix bracket to bracket changed to press inserts for more durable thread. - approx 100 units in.

One of the issues with developing small products like this is the ability to test the unit fully before production. I have relied on feedback from people to improve the unit, and felt happy with the end unit that was produced. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had but they do seem fairly minor. The rest of the unit should be solid with the amount of refinement it's had.

The wires are the ones with the spade connectors that go to the original wiring loom, all the wires bar one have come off the connectors, I would of thought that they would of been soldered on? Which is what I will do this weekend, also the face these cables are all exposed and not in some sort of connector.

As for the plastic screws and packaging, the heater was not padded at all and it was in two parts inside the box, I did message you about it but I got no response but I did mention that I wasn't bothered about having to replace the screws, but IMO I shouldn't have too replace the screws as the unit cost £300, but a response would of been nice ;)

I am happy with the unit and don't get me wrong, it is far better than the crap that came with the VX, considering the car cost 24k new, you would of expected a decent heater! I do feel let down that it isn't as good as I thought it would be, but that could be because of the dash board vents not being sealed (again another issue with the car from new).  Hopefully when I get my new dashboard back from a friend who's been busy putting new vents in it might be better at keeping me warm/clearing the windscreen.

#15 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

The wires are the ones with the spade connectors that go to the original wiring loom, all the wires bar one have come off the connectors, I would of thought that they would of been soldered on? Which is what I will do this weekend, also the face these cables are all exposed and not in some sort of connector.

As for the plastic screws and packaging, the heater was not padded at all and it was in two parts inside the box, I did message you about it but I got no response but I did mention that I wasn't bothered about having to replace the screws, but IMO I shouldn't have too replace the screws as the unit cost £300, but a response would of been nice ;)

Generally you don't want to solder connections as it makes them brittle. None of the OEM connectors are soldered either, just crimped. I did have a batch of shiny blue spade connectors which were, for lack of a better description, sh*t, and would fall off because the material wasn't thick enough. A few heaters might have ended up with them simply to get the heaters out of the door in a quick time.

An OEM style block connector isn't used because it would have been a minimum order of 10,000 units from the manufacturer at £2.68 each. The individual spade connectors do the same job. Unfortunately this is one concession I had to make as it was simply uneconomical to source the OEM connector.

I'm sorry I didn't respond. I do try to respond to all the messages I get, but as other members who sell regularly on here (JG, Joe and a few others will agree with this) keeping up with every message is almost a full time job.

#16 Zuber

Zuber

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Finding a way to motivate myself to get fit. Anything Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hi Tom, Are you still going to be sorting out the control units ? Mine is still stuck on hot, which is ok at the moment, but not so much in the summer...

#17 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hi Tom, Are you still going to be sorting out the control units ? Mine is still stuck on hot, which is ok at the moment, but not so much in the summer...

Yes. I hope to have news soon - the delay is the supplier end.

#18 garypara

garypara

• Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hi mouldy looking good can you keep me posted on how it all turns out

cheers

Gary

#19 Mouldy

Mouldy

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

Has not moved on much yet due to work, trips and house problems. Bolting motor to base and rivetting output duct to top plate is all i've done.

#20 Mouldy

Mouldy

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Just ordered some 4 pin plugs from http://www.thetoolbo...electrical.html so should be able to get it fitted soon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users