• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

If anyone can get me a seal, I can investigate manufacturing them from the correct material. 

#42 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

Perfect. Where do the 2 oil pipes on top go or is this just blanked off for us?

It's a remote filter, so you need to connect the pipework to an external filter cassette and the oil cooler.

#43 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

I have a whole load left over from when I organised the group buy and people bailed.  Will it be non-destructive, ie will I get it back?  They are copper platted aluminium if it helps.

#44 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

It's a remote filter, so you need to connect the pipework to an external filter cassette and the oil cooler.
Doesn't sound to bad of a job. Has anyone done this yet that you know of?

#45 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

I have a whole load left over from when I organised the group buy and people bailed.  Will it be non-destructive, ie will I get it back?  They are copper platted aluminium if it helps.

The original seals are copper plated aluminium?

I never had an issue with the cooler section separating, so this is all new to me. If it's just a case of finding a laser cutter (got one) and a plater, then it should be easy.

#46 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

Regularly done to relocate a filter to a better position. This is the other part you'll need http://www.demon-twe...es-filter-heads

#47 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Good luck with that. I bought one and it was looking very far from straightforward once the oil cooler, the odd fitting sizes, the lack of space for a remote filter and the relief valve in the VX's filter housing became involved. Sold it on flidbay to another fool with a Z22SE.

Better to sort your housing out with either threadlock or a dab of weld to prevent them ever separating and ever needing to replace the seals in the first place. Or use the Saab setup and not have the bother either and have the benefit of the easily removable OEM plastic housing cap.

#48 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:26 PM

I have some of these filter seals. Part of my pension plan.

#49 navx

navx

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

I have some of these filter seals. Part of my pension plan.

Go on then, let me help you liquidate your pension plan. Sell me 4 of these bad boys.

#50 909

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

Good luck with that. I bought one and it was looking very far from straightforward once the oil cooler, the odd fitting sizes, the lack of space for a remote filter and the relief valve in the VX's filter housing became involved. Sold it on flidbay to another fool with a Z22SE.

Better to sort your housing out with either threadlock or a dab of weld to prevent them ever separating and ever needing to replace the seals in the first place. Or use the Saab setup and not have the bother either and have the benefit of the easily removable OEM plastic housing cap.

There is nothing that is odd fitting, maybe a different fitting. 

Use the standard VX220 oil cooler.

The relief valve is easily removed.

Re-connect the device as the manufacturers intended.

This device has been sold in the U.S. for sometime now so should be proven by now.

Welding or locking the adapter ring in place is not a good idea as the seals can still leak over time and then you have no chance of ever removing it to replace the seals.  Torque the ring down correctly in the first instance is the best option.

#51 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Ok, I now have had a trial pair of these made up (see my other post....), and subject to the trial working will be able to make them available to all,,,

#52 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

Yeah it's the if they work bit that worries me. Esp as OP was fretting over the material to use and these are simple Ali. Plus I won't know until they're in so if the originals get damaged and they don't seal I'm fecked

Hi Chris, I understand your concern, hence why they will be trialled first. The aluminium ones off e-bay will not work without sealant as they will not compress and form a seal. My concern over the original material I found was that the filter would have to be tightened very tight for it to seal. The graphite based material is more expensive, but will seal a lot easier. My suggestion would be not to change them on yours if they are not leaking, but you might want a pair in the drawer just in case they do leak when you next do a filter change. My back ground is as a mechanical engineer working in the petrochemical industry, where we design and fit gaskets as part of our day to day. My concerns aren't over if they will work, more over ease of fitting and sealing. Mat

#53 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

There is nothing that is odd fitting, maybe a different fitting.  Use the standard VX220 oil cooler. The relief valve is easily removed. Re-connect the device as the manufacturers intended. This device has been sold in the U.S. for sometime now so should be proven by now.   Welding or locking the adapter ring in place is not a good idea as the seals can still leak over time and then you have no chance of ever removing it to replace the seals.  Torque the ring down correctly in the first instance is the best option.

I take it you bought mine from shitBay then? :lol: I know the relief valve is easily removed but it surely serves a purpose otherwise Vauxhall wouldn't have fitted on this particular install otherwise. Bypassing it by removing it doesn't seem like the best idea, if you're retaining the standard oil cooler setup. It doesn't exist on the LSJ/B207/Z20NET engines with the better integrated cooler which this remote filter adaptor is designed for.  

Torque the ring down correctly in the first instance is the best option.

Indeed it is but unfortunately, even when it is done properly, it's rarely a permanent fix.

#54 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yeah it's the if they work bit that worries me. Esp as OP was fretting over the material to use and these are simple Ali. Plus I won't know until they're in so if the originals get damaged and they don't seal I'm fecked

Hi Chris, I understand your concern, hence why they will be trialled first. The aluminium ones off e-bay will not work without sealant as they will not compress and form a seal. My concern over the original material I found was that the filter would have to be tightened very tight for it to seal. The graphite based material is more expensive, but will seal a lot easier. My suggestion would be not to change them on yours if they are not leaking, but you might want a pair in the drawer just in case they do leak when you next do a filter change. My back ground is as a mechanical engineer working in the petrochemical industry, where we design and fit gaskets as part of our day to day. My concerns aren't over if they will work, more over ease of fitting and sealing. Mat
My concern was with the Ali one being sold on eBay not yours as I can see you're putting thought into the material. My worry is I'd like to change the filter, but having bent a ring trying to re-assemble it last time I'd rather have a set spare in case they are needed. I guess I'll just change the oil and hold off on the filter until they are available. As if the worse was to happen this could see the car off the road until they are available.

Edited by Chris P Duck, 03 April 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#55 909

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:30 AM

I know the relief valve is easily removed but it surely serves a purpose otherwise Vauxhall wouldn't have fitted on this particular install otherwise. Bypassing it by removing it doesn't seem like the best idea, if you're retaining the standard oil cooler setup. It doesn't exist on the LSJ/B207/Z20NET engines with the better integrated cooler which this remote filter adaptor is designed for.  

It only serves a purpose in the VX220 engine installation with their oil cooler setup. 

The Vauxhall/Opel cooler is re-routed via a remote filter to the US adaptor connections.

Infact it has to be removed and the bottom hose connection plugged when using the US adaptor.

With your understanding of how things work, I would also have on sold this adaptor.

Perhaps some more research would be in order on your part.

#56 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:11 AM

My concern was with the Ali one being sold on eBay not yours as I can see you're putting thought into the material. My worry is I'd like to change the filter, but having bent a ring trying to re-assemble it last time I'd rather have a set spare in case they are needed. I guess I'll just change the oil and hold off on the filter until they are available. As if the worse was to happen this could see the car off the road until they are available.

Hi Chris, the trial set is ready so should be fitted and tested in the next week or so. After that they should then be available to the wider org.....

#57 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

All, looks like the initial seals were to small, should be able to get an improved set made up and trial in the next week...

#58 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

The original seals are copper plated aluminium?

I never had an issue with the cooler section separating, so this is all new to me. If it's just a case of finding a laser cutter (got one) and a plater, then it should be easy.

Yeah, then some sort of teflon coating.  They look rolled to me.  Are you still looking for a borrow?

#59 AMOSS

AMOSS

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

1. RabnaKS 2. vocky - 2 pairs 3. Phear - 2 pairs 4. VX220BOB - 2 pairs 5. Navx - 2 pairs 6. Myles - 2 pairs 7. Sticky - 2 pairs 8. Chippyfa - 2 Pairs 9. Zimmer - 2 pairs 10.Ni S - 2 pairs 11. Graeme Lambert - 4 pairs? 12. Stevie Dubyah - 2 Pairs 13. Nickb777 - 2 Pairs

14. Bootdog - 2 pairs,

15. Yaaan - 2 pairs

16. tomooooose - 2 pairs

17. TheHood - 2 pairs

18. AMOSS - 2 pairs

Edited by AMOSS, 13 April 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#60 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

1. RabnaKS
2. vocky - 2 pairs
3. Phear - 2 pairs
4. VX220BOB - 2 pairs
5. Navx - 2 pairs
6. Myles - 2 pairs
7. Sticky - 2 pairs
8. Chippyfa - 2 Pairs
9. Zimmer - 2 pairs
10.Ni S - 2 pairs
11. Graeme Lambert - 4 pairs?
12. Stevie Dubyah - 2 Pairs
13. Nickb777 - 2 Pairs
[color=rgb(40,40,40);][font="helvetica;"]
14. Bootdog - 2 pairs,[/color][/font][color=rgb(40,40,40);][font="helvetica;"]
15. Yaaan - 2 pairs[/color][/font][color=rgb(40,40,40);][font="helvetica;"]
16. tomooooose - 2 pairs[/color][/font][color=rgb(40,40,40);][font="helvetica;"]
17. TheHood - 2 pairs[/color][/font]
18. AMOSS - 2 pairs
19. Chris P Duck

Edited by Chris P Duck, 13 April 2015 - 05:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users