The Referendum - In Or Out

• Please log in to reply
1815 replies to this topic

#61 the outsider

the outsider

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

Still think out, I dont really think the arguments people put up about foreign investment drying up, toyota and nissan wont just close factories they tooled up, some countries still believe that they are buying quality when they buy from us, My workplace leased 5 new transhits, we had transits that were the british made ones, had mine 6 years, 85000 miles, no problems, New transhit, made in turkey in some " we want you in the eu" deal, pile of crap, all have had electrical faults, gearbox faults and hamonic balancers falling off, So just goes to show why we are wanted in, we are great inventor's and workers, And I dont even want to get started on how toyota seem to give endless supplies of hi luxes to terrorist groups, The other thing is people worrying about being ex pats in spain , that they will be asked to leave, no they wont, I would imagine that some of there economy is based on us living there, the rest is football and tourism, so again, spain wont rock the boat, plus they dont want the eu looking at them too much, they have huge cities built with schools and hospitals in place, they may get asked to take some immigrants, I dont really get the assad thing, so he drives everyone out, to rule a country with no people to run an economy, odd,

#62 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

Out 👍

#63 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Music, Sci-Fi, Cars and driving,.

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

The 4/5 large car companies with manufacturing plants in the UK have already gone on the record stating they will not leave the UK if the public vote to leave the EU. 

#64 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

I hope the UK pulls out.

Those dodo's in brussels need a serious message that a reform is needed, and if the UK leaves, others will make the threat also. Perfect leverage. 

#65 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:51 PM

Better off in but no way the media brainwashed public will vote to stay in.

Off topic but o the media point, I read recently that Gideon (to use his real name) Osborne's family company paid ZERO corporation tax in 2015, which seemed to "slip" under the media radar while he was triumphantly riding high on a deal for Google and Facebook to pay a few quid here and there which was front page news. They seem to pick and choose when it suits.

#66 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

I hope the UK pulls out. Those dodo's in brussels need a serious message that a reform is needed, and if the UK leaves, others will make the threat also. Perfect leverage.

Belgium = stupid the whole Europe thing = stupid just wait and see in a couple of years :-(

#67 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

I'm old enough to have voted for the common market as it was called then, it seemed like a good idea then, so I voted 'in'. However the rules have changed a lot and so I will be voting out in the referendum. Camerons efforts to get some sort of deal didn't amount to much and I think he was fobbed off. And there's nothing to say that what he did agree wouldn't be reneged. So definitely out for me.

#68 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Living in Switzerland give me a bit of perspective. Switzerland is out, yet has adopted the EU shengen rules. You can't adopt some of these rules, you have to adopt all of them or none. Not being an EU member means you have no say in what the rules say.

Before adopting these rules the Swiss economy was largely stagnant in the 90's. Since adopting them there's been a lot of economic growth.

I can't see Switzerland droping their connections with the EU, nor can I see them joining the EU. I think it works for Switzerland. You can be outside and still benefit - but it doesn't give you a say in what the rules are.

I love the idea of the EU - open borders, one currency, an end to nationalism - and particularly racism. I also like the human rights aspect.

I don't like the execution - corruption, beurocracy, incredibly bad running of fiscal policy within the EURO zone, and migration on such a scale that it's impossible for some countries to deal with. I also dislike some of the human rights decisions.

Hmm, in or out - I don't think it's such a big issue as maybe people think. The UK would still adopt much of the trading rules to trade with the EU. Maybe that suits the EU more?

#69 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Interesting article from Boris which seems to hit the nail on the head. http://www.telegraph...ave-the-EU.html

#70 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:07 PM

Interesting article from Boris which seems to hit the nail on the head. http://www.telegraph...ave-the-EU.html

Good article and well written. People forget that Boris has written on the EU since around 1989. I remember the 1975 vote, and we weren't told the truth then.

I have read Enoch Powell's biography (many years ago) where he covered different subject such as Northern Island, foreign policy and funny enough, the EU or Common Market as it was known then. His comments about the EU (made back in 1971) are an eye-opener. You would think he was talking about the EU now (2016) , and not 44yrs ago. He predicts (in the book) a Federal European Government, monetary union, losing our sovereignty, democracy and Law-making would all become a reality in years to come if the UK joined the Common Market. He wasn't far wrong was he. 

Edited by Ian59, 22 February 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#71 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

The 4/5 large car companies with manufacturing plants in the UK have already gone on the record stating they will not leave the UK if the public vote to leave the EU. 

The government will be able to offer big companies great deals on land or tax breaks to set up shop in the UK so its no problem. We will only benefit.

#72 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

I noted that Cameron (this week) or one of the 'in' lobbyists stated that if we leave the EU, then the migrant  camps in Calais would end up here.

Did they explain why that would be the case?

#73 GaryK

GaryK

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Because at the moment, France allow us to do passport checks on the French side of the tunnel (and vice versa), so we can refuse access to the UK before they enter. The French have threatened to remove that privilege if we leave the EU.

#74 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Because at the moment, France allow us to do passport checks on the French side of the tunnel (and vice versa), so we can refuse access to the UK before they enter. The French have threatened to remove that privilege if we leave the EU.

Thanks for that info Gary. As with every threat there is usually a threat in reply to negate the initial threat or 'promise' of a plan to 'make sure that doesn't happen'......? :unsure:

#75 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

They could do that today if they wanted the agreement is between UK and France not EU.

#76 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thats not true though because we can implement a passport check before getting on a ferry or the shuttle, the same as a plane. No passport no travel.

#77 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

They could do that today if they wanted the agreement is between UK and France not EU.

Correct. Government Minister and others have confirmed that.

#78 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

And my guess would be now we are having a vote If we stay in they will get rid of the French camps If we vote out they will get rid of the French camps Only up side is if we are not in we are not obliged to take any migrants from In or out of the eu so can stop them at the borders which we will be able to enforce again

#79 ElizP987

ElizP987

• 4,037 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

Out :)

#80 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:03 AM

Leaning in, but undecided.

I could not care less who is on either side. Lets hear the actual arguments not have a popularity contest.

I don't like "call me pig shagger" or the manchild that is Boris so neither of them will win me over with charm.

Did laugh when Farage was on the radio this morning talking about Project Fear though....I feel I'm going to have a lot of moments like that over the next few months...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users