• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dedposh

dedposh

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

Hi all

Looking to replace current OEM shocks as they are in a terrible state! 

Are these shocks any good?

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=181826757097

I'm not looking for anything too fancy!

Cheers

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

http://www.vx220.org...gold-pro-shock/

http://www.vx220.org...oken-gaz-shock/

http://www.vx220.org...-golds-leaking/

http://www.vx220.org...-shock-failure/

#3 chickendippers

chickendippers

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

Old threads, these are Gaz Gold Pros that failed. The Gaz Gold Pro IIs are far superior.

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/121988-another-failed-gaz-gold-pro-shock/?p=1515727 

#4 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

i don't see how you can make that statement, here are some examples of GGP2 failure: http://www.vx220.org...hock/?p=1716066 and here: http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/106538-project-flying-saucer/?p=1715404 

Obviously I can understand that you'd want to state they're better, as you sell them. But they're still a sh*t product.

Edited by fezzasus, 19 April 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#5 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

To add balance to the usual Gaz slating, Nitrons can also fail and they have a generally sub par after sales service. This is coming from someone who has owned two sets, one set from new to my spec.

#6 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

To add balance to the usual Gaz slating, Nitrons can also fail and they have a generally sub par after sales service. This is coming from someone who has owned two sets, one set from new to my spec.

However the balance needs to be proportional to the number of problems; if I search the forum for Gaz failures, I get pages of results, while I don't get any for Nitron.

#7 chickendippers

chickendippers

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

I can see what you're saying, I wasn't at all stating that the Gaz suspension is better than Nitron, merely a lot of the failures from a few years ago were from the old design, not the GGPII. For reference, I can supply Nitrons too :P

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

I still wouldn't, with your bargepole, let alone mine.

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

Fundamentally, Gaz either lack the understanding, or are unwilling to spend the money to make a shock which can endure normal use. The failures are catastrophic and due to material fatigue, which is a much more dangerous prospect than loss of performance through loss of oil or gas through seal failure (conventional failure route of Bilstein or Nitrons). I don't understand why people continue put themselves at risk by buying them.

Edited by fezzasus, 19 April 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#10 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

However the balance needs to be proportional to the number of problems; 

As well as the number in use, i'd imagine that due to the price point there are many more sets of Gaz being used than Nitron.

Its seems every option for the VX220 has problems, flip a coin. 

#11 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

Many people are stuck with them as they came on the car. I have them on mine because they came on there but unfortunately replacing them is about number three on the list of important jobs.

I`ll just inspect them often to make sure they arent leaking/cracking and hope they last until I can replace them.

Edited by Mattyboi, 19 April 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#12 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

Unfortunately I have suffered from Gaz Gold II Pro's failing. These were replaced under warranty by Gaz who explained that the damper strut rod itself which are made by a third company had broke.

It doesn't end there, I later sold the 18 month old GGP2's to another .org member who advised me 6 months later that they had failed AGAIN.

I'm currently on a set of Hoffman nitrons which although could easily suffer a failure as any suspension component can they offer a much better feel of confidence on the car and seem to be a much higher quality, solid product without any squeeks, bangs or.. catastrophic failures.

#13 Mr. G

Mr. G

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

I had to have my rear's rebuilt as soon as I purchased the Car two years ago, and I am now having the fronts rebuilt as they were leaking,.....Hopefully they will be ok as I am selling the Car as soon as the MOT is passed

#14 Duncan_F

Duncan_F

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

Unfortunately I have suffered from Gaz Gold II Pro's failing. 

As have I, very recently.

In fact my issues with them are still ongoing. My first lot were replaced after a couple of years as they were cracked and leaking, the replacement set made a alarming knocking/banging noise. I switched over to a spare set of OEM billies that Kristopha kindly let me borrow in the meantime and the knocking stopped. The GAZ set came back and the noise has returned.  :(

After doing a search (yes techie, some of us do actually use it :P ) I have a few ideas on what to try next, raising the ride height a little because it could be that they're bottoming out for example, but it's not exactly like I've had it slammed to the floor, it's just a few mill lower than standard so raising it up might make it look even more stupid than the OEM's do. To be honest, I'm beginning to lose the love for the car because of it because it's just doing my head in now  :(

Saying all that though, the customer service from GAZ themselves has been absolutely superb, and I can't think of another company I've ever used that even comes close to the service from the people that work at GAZ.

#15 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

Loads of people using Gaz with no problems. Remember you only tend to here about the problems.

#16 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:46 PM

I would buy monos, i wiuldnt bother with ggp's personally. The ride is a lot better than with ggp's and there hasnt been a failure apart from the clicks being partially lost Gaz monos were on mikes time attack car and have performed very well on and off the track.

#17 CKR

CKR

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

I'd get your Bilstein dampers refurbed. I toyed with the idea of buying Nitron Street 2s, but as a road car I won't want the faff of all the settings. The Quantum Zeros appear to be 'stiff' with even Matt Bentley saying the best road damper is still the Bilsteim

#18 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

I don't understand why people continue put themselves at risk by buying them.

Because they're relatively cheap, lower the car, and give people a nob to play with..

Plus people like to "upgrade" stuff even though they're a downgrade (in my experience) in terms of performance and reliability over the "standard" Bilstein / Eibach (two of the biggest and more respected names in suspension, with lots of motorsports pedigree, spec'ced and set up by one of the best companies at it) for road applications...

#19 steve-m-uk

steve-m-uk

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

I have just fitted gaz monos a few weeks back , since then i have driven the car all around the Highlands over every kind of road, fast sweeping A-roads, single track roads and even flew up Applecross. All i can say is the monos are a revelation, no knocking and such a better ride than my previous shocks, the car is now spot on as i wanted it to be. People who had a passenger ride whilst up there commented about how composed the car was at speed, yet firm and controllable.I'm more than happy with gaz monos. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

#20 dedposh

dedposh

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:01 PM

Where can you get replacement springs for bilstein shocks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users