Photo

Possible First Vx 2.4 Harrop 1900 Build

• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#361 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

£15-16k if you're lucky. Better off sticking a stock engine in and making it a stage 2 SC. Sell for £11-12k and sell of engine and other parts. Harrop £1200 Engine £4000+ Exhaust £1500 Etc......

You would be better off splitting the package and fitting a standard z22se with GM sc (250bhp), then sell the engine and Harrop

Due to the poor exchange rates at the moment a more sensible price would be;

Harrop - £1500 ono

Engine - £5000 ono : Darton sleeves, JE Pistons, Eagle rods, Comp Cams, Valve springs all have to come from the states. The block is near £2k on it's own, after machining, without anything else attached.

Edited by vocky, 18 October 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#362 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

As this engine has been run at such high levels, is it likely that even with low mileage/hours use it may be significantly worn?

Just like with the old turbo F1 cars of the 80's that ran in qualifying spec then the engine was toast - 500 bhp out of 2.4 litres seems like quite a feat of engineering to maintain reliably especially when a supercharger is used and not a turbo?

#363 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

As this engine has been run at such high levels, is it likely that even with low mileage/hours use it may be significantly worn?

Just like with the old turbo F1 cars of the 80's that ran in qualifying spec then the engine was toast - 500 bhp out of 2.4 litres seems like quite a feat of engineering to maintain reliably especially when a supercharger is used and not a turbo?

What wears?

F1 engines had limited lifespan from running on the conrod speed limit

#364 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

Not sure what to do still guys tbh. The cars come such a long way in such a short period of time...plus the 1900 is still on route and i'd hate someone else to fit that first before me lol. 

Will see how many pennies I can earn over the next few months first and see if i can keep it :)

#365 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

What wears?

I have no idea as I'm not an engineer, that's why I was asking the question. I think the GM build book mentions a bhp/torque limit on supercharged engine builds that's lower than a comparative turbo build due to the drive losses taken to spin the charger. 

My thought are that given this engine makes 500 bhp on a dyno, the actual power at the crank maybe even higher due to the engine spinning the charger. 

My question wasnt intended to be derogatory, I am just genuinely interested if a 500bhp supercharged vx is a reliable long term proposition  thumbsup

#366 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:31 PM

On another note.....this thing is quite addictive!!! We came home with two 2nds a 1st and 2 fastest laps in class this weekend!.....and it stands me at far far less than the VX!!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#367 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

What wears?

I have no idea as I'm not an engineer, that's why I was asking the question. I think the GM build book mentions a bhp/torque limit on supercharged engine builds that's lower than a comparative turbo build due to the drive losses taken to spin the charger. 

My thought are that given this engine makes 500 bhp on a dyno, the actual power at the crank maybe even higher due to the engine spinning the charger. 

My question wasnt intended to be derogatory, I am just genuinely interested if a 500bhp supercharged vx is a reliable long term proposition  thumbsup

Very few engines fail from excessive wear, and high speed operation doesn't really cause much material loss from rubbing contact. The biggest issue with high output engines is reaching material limits, in particular the conrod and wrist pin.

#368 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

i want to have a go in that!!

#369 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

Me too

#370 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

lets Hire it then Boys I'm up for it 

#371 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

I'm game

#372 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

I'm in!

#373 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

Maybe me and mark should start hiring the MG Joe? ;)

#374 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

Good idea Lee

#375 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:48 AM

Really struggling with the thought of getting rid of my car! I've come so far with it in just a year it seems a crying shame to get rid before I've even met Sir of you guys or put the carbon track?! As you know I'm sat on most of the expensive bits to sort of finish to make it a little more track friendly, mainly the fuel tank and traction system. But I still think I'd need to spend a couple of £££ to get it track ready.....diff, geo, toe links, brakes?! Thoughts on my head currently is maybe try and keep and 'finish' the carvof more and get it on track and see what I think? Who knows if I liked it that much maybe we could do a few time Attack events next year with it? What do you guys genuinely think I should do with it......

#376 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

I would definitely get it into what you think is a finished state. Not many people here will have the skill set to complete the project on such a high power build so maybe that's putting buyers off. I'm surprised it hasn't sold as is. The other option would be to break it up but that seems labour intensive and a bit of a shame. Or keep it as you say, it would make a fabulous usable track day car.

#377 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

Hang in there with it, it's usable as it is you need to sort the brakes and suspension with that amount of power though, you could use it as a pure track car but then if you enjoy using it on the road do both. Been there done that when I first built mine and spent about the same amount you have, I put mine aside for some time( few years actually😀till I came back in love with it, am there now just about. I would have had yours off you but SHMBO said no this time, so looks like I will need a gen3 block and new cams... Breaking it is the only way you will get anywhere near what you spent on it, well actually well short, most expensive vex I think was Mikes race car at about 24k?

Edited by NickB787, 30 October 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#378 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

Your probably right, I'm going to think hard over this next week and decide what to do. The actual suspension I've got fitted ATM I believe will be good, it's what we run on the radicals and it's great on them although they are three ways.. Rather than shell out for new again I would most likely just send these off for a refresh. Getting out on track with it or a least a passenger ride in someone else's vx would also hopefully help sway me towards keeping it! It's sort of wasted on the road, it's like riding a quick bike.....your always doing 30-49mph more than you should be. It's also to bloody noisy for me now(maybe getting old). If you want to go anywhere long distance you want/need bloody ear plugs lol! Lots of fettling to do but I've done most of the hard work I think 😒

#379 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

Rich it seems a big shame to sell it and would be good to see what you can do with the 1900 on it  but its allot of money tied up when you are expanding your company ,the only person who can deciede is you 

if it was me i would keep it ;-) 

#380 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

As I'm sure you know, invested money + time is always lost when you sell modified road cars. So, from that you can draw the certain conclusion that the time and money can only be redeemed if you actually drive it. Therein lies an answer.

To sell it would simply mean you that did all the work and spent all the R&D money but gave the fun part (driving it) to the next owner...

I would think that most of the owners on here who have done similar scale projects have reached the same conclusion, as it is undeniably heart-wrenching to sell when you have invested time + money + emotion into it. Bear in mind it's completely road legal, your PR6 is great, but you can't just jump in it and drive it at a moment's notice. This is where a road legal car is great IMO, the immediate ability to use it when ever you fancy it, without all the hassle + cost of pre-emptively booking a track weeks in advance. If you judicially chose when/where/how to drive it there are plenty of roads you can use that power on IMO.

If you need more money for the company and can't get it from the bank or personal sources then have you considered looking for a partner/director with cash to invest? That has the benefit of additional workforce, additional ideas and additional money.

Edited by Nev, 30 October 2016 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users