• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Yea the 595 rsr. They might be marketed as a "semi slick" on paper but there is no way that is in the same league as a r888/a048.

#22 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2?

As fitted to the Evora 410 and many Porsche?

Hmm, scrap that, only suitable for VX rears unless you run 17s up front too.

#23 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Yea the 595 rsr. They might be marketed as a "semi slick" on paper but there is no way that is in the same league as a r888/a048.

I'm with sizeten on this one. I've seen no difference in lap time moving from RSR to ZZR however the ZZR do seem to be more durable on long stints and have stiffer sidewall that helps with tyre wear on the shoulders. I may need to adjust suspension/driving to exploit them better but for your average track day there's very little in it over a lap. The few tenths may make all the difference in racing... I've gone through 3 sets of RSR's but only complete 1.5 track days on the ZZR so may still change my mind. For road use, the stiffer sidewall and tread pattern make the ZZR noisier and less comfortable than the RSR too.

#24 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

I actually want to do a back to back comparison between the ZZRs and the rsrs as I'm not 100% sure they are any better than the ZZRs So if anyone is going Anglesey in march on some RSRs and want to swap for a session I'm up for that

#25 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

thats interesting because when i've been out on some 595's in steve_m_uk's and Acidpopstars i couldn't get close to the corner speeds i could on r888's (at croft & anglesey), i actually fund the 595's to be more comparable with AD08's which are just a road tyre, But, i havent tried the ZZR's yet so if they are comparable with the 595's like you say then fair enough.. but i just didnt feel like i was getting the lateral grip from the 595's i could get from the 888's. what i did notice from the 595's was they were very controllable on the limit, a very progressive tyre.

#26 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

thats interesting because when i've been out on some 595's in steve_m_uk's and Acidpopstars i couldn't get close to the corner speeds i could on r888's (at croft & anglesey), i actually fund the 595's to be more comparable with AD08's which are just a road tyre, But, i havent tried the ZZR's yet so if they are comparable with the 595's like you say then fair enough.. but i just didnt feel like i was getting the lateral grip from the 595's i could get from the 888's. what i did notice from the 595's was they were very controllable on the limit, a very progressive tyre.  

TBH chris the ZZR and also very progressive but the R888R were a lot more grippier than the ZZR

#27 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

Well i didnt say they wern't, also..I am talking R888 not R888R.. i havent tried them yet. My OCD refuses to let me buy them.

#28 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

If it was all down to your £ for value it's RSR all the way

#29 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

I did drive a vx on the road on a set of nankank ns2r I think they were. They had some good potential on the road and would be worth a shot on track

#30 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Agreed.

#31 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

To be honest Chris I now think that might have more to do with my set up. I had ZZRs at Zandvoort and the French Frolic but still couldn't get the car to turn in and point and stick to the line I wanted. Will be getting the geo checked and set again this year. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Agreed.
Did we just agree Must be a new year

#33 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

I'm sure I read that the Elise trophy lap times tumbled when they swapped from ao48 to ZZR so in theory they should smash the RSR for lap times. When I last went to brands the track was very hot so maybe there just wasn't much grip on track that day. I'd also made some suspension changes which could have been a backward step..? In short, it wasn't a scientifically valid test. Ideally we'd be able to have 2 sets of test tyres, a single car, data logging and a professional control driver. Failing that everything is fairly subjective. Does anyone know when Elise trophy swapped to ZZR and have before/after lap times?

#34 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Nobody up for shaving their tyres then?

#35 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Theres loads on the web about this, 

but would be interested in your first hand reasoning 

#36 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

+1

Also interested in why the R888R rather than the ZZR on your race car. Is it because of regulation or because you prefer them?

#37 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

I'm sure I read that the Elise trophy lap times tumbled when they swapped from ao48 to ZZR so in theory they should smash the RSR for lap times. When I last went to brands the track was very hot so maybe there just wasn't much grip on track that day. I'd also made some suspension changes which could have been a backward step..? In short, it wasn't a scientifically valid test. Ideally we'd be able to have 2 sets of test tyres, a single car, data logging and a professional control driver. Failing that everything is fairly subjective. Does anyone know when Elise trophy swapped to ZZR and have before/after lap times?

As long as the driver is consistant and relatively fast then it should suffice.

#38 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Agreed.
Did we just agree Must be a new year
Seems so.. i dont like it.. lets get back to normal.. Your a w[a]nker . :lol:

Edited by chris_uk, 04 January 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#39 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

I found in a 45 minute race that in the final 15 to 20 minutes the tyres would overheat and squirm. Like you I googled and it seems that by reducing the tread depth there is less movement so less heat. All I know is that since having it done the tyres go the full 45 minutes, the wear is slower and I dont get the "stepped" tread wear I had before. Also I dont seem to pick up as much rubber off the track as before.

#40 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Just to add that the only data I have of ZZR vs RSR is from Brands hatch. The blue trace is the ZZR and the Red is on RSR.

The lines are quite spiky during braking/cornering and don't always correlate to vehicle speed (it seems to get upset when the car slides) so don't take actual values too literally but if you visually smooth the graph you get an idea of comparative apex speeds...

The track was much warmer for the ZZR lap (28c vs 11c) and this is clear in the peak speed on the straight which was down 6 mph. You can see how the car just doesn't accelerate in the same way above 90mph... I don't know if this had a significant impact on tyre/track grip so really need to go back on a cooler day to make it a fair comparison.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users