• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

£900 for a pair of disks!  :o

Edited by SteveA, 27 June 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#62 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

£900 for a pair of disks!  :o

Who? No, £275 for Joe's size?

#63 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

they were nearly £900 :ninja:

#64 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

they were nearly £900 :ninja:

Oh :unsure: bloody hell. Hope he gets a refund then.

#65 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

ah come on guys, dont remind me of the cost of parts :beat: i did work it out that the front rotors cost me roughly 75p per mile :lol: :lol:

Anyways... after speaking to Geary at 4,30am!! we set a plan and i went there today to meet Ian and go through what the potential issue etc, and we are both unaware as to what caliper i am running. Ian thinks i have an early AP pro 5000 caliper as they are identical to them just without the pro 5000 written on them :blink: not sure as they came already fitted to the car.

The plan is to run the pads 1-2mm lower than they currently are to give a lip at the top (currently flush) also going to change the pads as they are crumbling on the bottom edge (bringing back memories of the rc5!)

Speaking of Rc5.... Im going to run RC6 all round now as its what BOT and some others have suggested and as the pads have started to crumble at the bottom edge now is the time to do it.

Eliseparts was really good and gave me a cracking deal on a replacement pair of rotors (less than cost price)  also fitted them to the bells for free but they do make a crap cup of tea :lol: :lol: Overall its motorsport at the end of the day and im happy Eliseparts did what they did as most (including AP Racing) wouldnt have done anything

I am going to get my spare rotor skimmed but hopefully these will be perfect and i wont need it in the future, i will bed them in on the road over the next to weeks. Fingers crossed...

Edited by The Batman, 27 June 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#66 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Shiny!

Posted Image

#67 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Good show from Elise parts thumbsup

#68 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

thumbsup time to get some more stone chips 🍟

Edited by ChrisS1, 27 June 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#69 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

RC6's are quite aggressive pads so expect high rotor wear.

#70 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

I'm still hoping they will last longer than a year :lol:

#71 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

They only did it so you wouldn't cry about it to us all. Doubt the man in the street would get the same. Fingers in many pies n all that ;)

#72 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

:lol:

#73 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,873 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

bought some new rotors from a chap on here, they've warped, including the replacement set, but not cracked that I am aware of, probably going back to my original discs

#74 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

Good result Joe but I would sell them on and go back to standard. Or buy floating bells ;)

Edited by pete-r, 27 June 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#75 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

£900 for a pair of discs, gawd strewth, I think you've lost touch of the value of money mate.

It amazes me how much money people have and are willing to spend on things of negligible benefit. Based on what I've read over the years, if you added up all the money you've spent on this kind of thing, wouldn't you have been able to buy a Norma or somesuch for circa £40k to £80k and be driving about in a car that is leagues better than a VX/Lotus?

The best brake setup I've ever experienced was in JoshUXB's car, made for peanuts, solid 24mm discs, the smallest Porsche Boxter 4 pots. The all up cost for that setup was £400 for the fronts I think. They were so effective that a normal person getting in the car would be locking the brakes out all the time, scared me when I drove it.

It's your money and your car Joe, but I think you've reached the point of negligible RFI (return for investment). If you genuinely want to go faster, you'd be better to sell it and buy a proper race car IMO.

A fundamental thing about the VX/Lotus cars is, they are ultimately a road car, designed for the road. If one really wants to go fast on a track then you need an entirely different design IMO and consequently would be way way faster.

Edited by Nev, 27 June 2017 - 09:52 PM.

#76 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Remember that guy who had titanium wheel bolts turned to save a few grams, now that was insane.

#77 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

£900 for a pair of discs, gawd strewth, I think you've lost touch of the value of money.   It amazes me how much money people have and are willing to spend on things of negligible benefit. Based on what I've read over the years, if you added up all the money you've spent on this kind of thing, wouldn't you have been able to buy a Norma or somesuch and be driving about in a car that is leagues better than a VX/Lotus?   The best brake setup I've ever experienced was in JoshUXB's car, made for peanuts, solid 24mm discs, the smallest Porsche Boxter 4 pots. The all up cost for that setup was £400 for the fronts I think. They were so effective that a normal person getting in the car would be locking the brakes out all the time, scared me when I drove it.      

Surely you're the same as me and joe in the fact you used insurance money to fund a project you wouldn't normally of spent on a car project? Or maybe it's that me and joe aren't semi retired so have the extra dollar for shiny sh*t. :lol:

#78 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

Ps. Lol at your edit, giving track day advice on how to go faster. (Buy another car and don't mod it) :lol:

#79 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

£900 for a pair of discs, gawd strewth, I think you've lost touch of the value of money.   It amazes me how much money people have and are willing to spend on things of negligible benefit. Based on what I've read over the years, if you added up all the money you've spent on this kind of thing, wouldn't you have been able to buy a Norma or somesuch and be driving about in a car that is leagues better than a VX/Lotus?   The best brake setup I've ever experienced was in JoshUXB's car, made for peanuts, solid 24mm discs, the smallest Porsche Boxter 4 pots. The all up cost for that setup was £400 for the fronts I think. They were so effective that a normal person getting in the car would be locking the brakes out all the time, scared me when I drove it.      

Surely you're the same as me and joe in the fact you used insurance money to fund a project you wouldn't normally of spent on a car project? Or maybe it's that me and joe aren't semi retired so have the extra dollar for shiny sh*t. :lol:

Nope you're wrong, the initial £12k outlay for the tune up was out of my own pocket. The insurance money was used to repair the bodywork etc.

My VX was always envisaged as a road car. If I were as track mad as you lot I would most certainly not start with a VX for obvious reasons (well obvious to me anyway, but clearly not you).

Edited by Nev, 27 June 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#80 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

Nope, the initial £12k outlay for the tune up was out of my own pocket. The insurance money was used to repair the bodywork etc.   My car was always envisaged as a road car. If I were as track mad as you lot I would most certainly not start with a VX for obvious reasons.  
What would you start with Nev? What obvious reasons make a lotus type car the wrong choice to use on track? Have people not won time attacks and sprint days along with championships in them? I know your game you little devil! You're on about owning an MGTF for all out track! I knew it! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users