General Election Looming

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

Seriously considering just drawing a cock and balls on the ballot paper. 🤔

#22 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:10 PM

The danger with that is if the presiding officer thinks that's a perfectly valid vote for The Brexit Party. :lol:

#23 Johnnyjap

Johnnyjap

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

Im a leaver and the way the politicians have behaved with Brexit fcuk the lot of them. Gonna vote Boris. Not ideal but Labour are communist and Lib Dems are saying they will cancel Brexit. Yeah like its just gonna go away then. 

#24 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:37 PM

The danger with that is if the presiding officer thinks that's a perfectly valid vote for The Brexit Party. :lol:

😄😄😄😄

There's a hell of a competition for the biggest twat award, but for me he's just about in the lead - I look at him and just think "chop house".

#25 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

Lib Dems are saying they will cancel Brexit. Yeah like its just gonna go away then. 

Exactly. I cannot get my head around the fact that Swinson and Co think that that will be perfectly acceptable to a large percentage of the original 17.4m people and possibly more who respected the original result. I don't believe for a minute that people will just say "oh well, we gave it a try" and just foget about it and merrily go back as they were.

LibDems must have some serious block bookings with printers. Just had a Jo Swinson for God pamphlet through the door. Different to the Jo Swinson, your next PM pamphlet we got on Friday.

#26 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

Lib Dems are saying they will cancel Brexit. Yeah like its just gonna go away then.

Exactly. I cannot get my head around the fact that Swinson and Co think that that will be perfectly acceptable to a large percentage of the original 17.4m people and possibly more who respected the original result. I don't believe for a minute that people will just say "oh well, we gave it a try" and just foget about it and merrily go back as they were.

LibDems must have some serious block bookings with printers. Just had a Jo Swinson for God pamphlet through the door. Different to the Jo Swinson, your next PM pamphlet we got on Friday.

It's a reasonably unreasonable stance for a party with no realistic prospect of power - it'll only get tricky if they end up in a coalition 😮

#27 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

I think I just heard John McDonnell on LBC telling Ian Dale he's planning to nationalise pharmacies. :o

#28 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:14 AM

Will this effect my free prescriptions lol

#29 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

Its a tough decision I think I most be in the same boat as many others in being a Labour supporter but firmly anti Corbyn. I simply can't believe he was elected it's set the party back 20 years. There's always denial about it because its not right now a fashionable opinion but what the uk and critically labour need now is David Miliband aka nu era Blair.

I could never vote conservative with a clear conscience but I have to say Boris is of far better use to the country than Compo.

#30 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:48 AM

I live in Richmond, the Surrey version which was Lib Dem then moved back to the quite deplorable Zac Goldsmith by 45 votes I think it was. Could easily go back the other way due to the Remain stronghold that it is

Not if the Lib Dem candidate is still Gollum (or Sarah Olney as she likes to be known). I'll never forget her impressive 5 minutes being interviewed by Hartley-Brewer!

She won the seat in 2016 then only lost it in 2017 by 45 votes, its quite likely given the current political climate she will win it again if standing. 

A mate of mine took me to a Lib Dem event in 2015 and Clegg was on stage with her, she had just joined and was like a rabbit in headlights, Clegg was utterly brilliant on stage though if you put aside some of what he was saying and just watch how good these people are at commanding an audience. 

#31 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:54 AM

Im a leaver and the way the politicians have behaved with Brexit fcuk the lot of them. Gonna vote Boris. Not ideal but Labour are communist and Lib Dems are saying they will cancel Brexit. Yeah like its just gonna go away then. 

Boris was effectively the ring leader for frustrating Brexit, he also said he would never, and neither should any Tory government, have a deal where the NI customs border sits between GB and NI. Yet here we are. Somehow though he is seen as the saviour yet has orchestrated himself into power at the expense of the people. 

We voted to leave Europe we didnt vote for how, we have thrown decision and power to parliament (which was the strap line of leave) and look where it has gotten us. The idea of Boris and his ERG millionaire mates who are doing politicianing just for something to do to bump their already inflated egos is just as worrying for me as it is for having the loony left dragging us back to the 70s 

I am for the first time ever, completely at a loss of who to vote for.

#32 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

People on both sides have come in for some stick on doing or saying one thing then seeming to do anther but in fairness in a negotiation you do have to compromise. The EU crucially said that they would never reopen the backstop agreement but they did the exact opposite so I would say that both parties have given a little. all this nonsense over something that will never be used anyway. IMHO the May deal was good nothing realistically wrong with it but Parliament generally have just tried to frustrate the process. They ditch Mays deal because of the backstop (supposedly) this gets removed and they still don't ratify it. 

It amazes me that the two main parties are so keen to have an election. Boris and Corbyn are both deluded if they think they are going to get a majority so the election is just really a competition to form a coalition with the Lib Dems which means either way a second referendum and most likely coalition with Labour and Corbyn in power. A man who I wouldn't trust making a sandwich.  

I think Boris should be applauded he's took some stick but he tried every trick in the book to just get the sodding process done and now we are just in for another year of farting about. Hung Parliament and months of politics and probably a second vote and remain. They had two chances to exit the EU and they blew it. Twice. so if when the time comes anyone is upset that we didn't leave the EU write to your local MP (assuming they don't loose their seat in December) 

The most galling thing in all of this is that once they are all done showboating and following stupid party political voting orders while the country rots the MPs will float off back to obscurity like Cameron did back to doing after dinner speeches or working in the city again or whatever. They are collectively guilty of something not sure what but they should all be punished really for lack of performance in their roles as MPs. It's us on the coalface that have to pay for their mistakes. 

#33 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

Boris has done nothing but put every process in the way to prevent a deal being agreed. His preference is, due to him being an ERG puppet, to exit without a deal. Parliament literally had to force him to go back to the EU to negotiate again - the endless rows about disclosing what work was being done etc. as Parliament felt Johnson was simply running the clock down - the unlawful prorogation further evidence of this. The EU offered up the GB border as an alternative to the backstop months ago which Johnson rejected yet is now claiming his victory around it. The reason I suspect the EU opened negotiations again is because Johnson gave away more than he gained, so it was in their interests to have another discussion.

I have yet to see any evidence that Johnson has actively tried to get something done, other than trying to force us into a no deal (although that is not exactly accurate as we would end up in a 'deal' with the WTO) at the end of October. Where we are now is not what the ERG wanted him to go I can imagine behind the scenes chats over an 1864 glass of Dom Perignon on this subject haven't been pleasant. ;-)

I cannot vote Tory due to Zac being the rep in Richmond and Boris, but Labour are going to throw us back 40 years, I actually dont agree with Lib Dems saying they will just cancel the referendum result (they would have been better served going the second referendum route) - and Farage is nothing but scum. Looks like the Greens have my vote (as long as they dont ban 2 litre vauxhall turbo engined cars lol)

#34 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

Labour are going to throw us back 40 years

Certainly feels like it. I heard some Post Office union rep on the radio earlier ranting about "management" and "grievances" about why they're going to strike in December. The language and tone sounded straight out of the late 70's, early 80's. You can just see some of the big union bosses rubbing their sweaty palms on their thighs at the thought of Corbyn in power and their control over the Momentum powered NEC & PLP and bringing back collective bargaining and the threat of national strikes again. We'll end up paying billions to renationalise Royal Mail and God knows how much more to prop it up in an ever decreasing market, though I guess it's possible Corbyn might ban email for the Proles to drive us back to using RM again.

Do these union bods all go to some sort of weird school in some parallel universe that teaches them to all use the same language? This guy had a London accent but you could have substituted it for any of the usual Scouse/Brummie/Weegie accents mid- rant and you'd have barely noticed the difference.

If we're going back to the 70's/80's it may be time to re-incarnate Jack Regan or Gene Hunt, they'd sort 'em. :9mm:

#35 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Sh!t the bed. Two more lots of LibDem junk through the door, just this minute. Both local rather than national this time though.

None of the LibDem dodgy graphs in either of these though. :lol:

LibDems, killing trees in a forest near you. thumbsup

#36 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

Boris has done nothing but put every process in the way to prevent a deal being agreed. His preference is, due to him being an ERG puppet, to exit without a deal. Parliament literally had to force him to go back to the EU to negotiate again - the endless rows about disclosing what work was being done etc. as Parliament felt Johnson was simply running the clock down - the unlawful prorogation further evidence of this. The EU offered up the GB border as an alternative to the backstop months ago which Johnson rejected yet is now claiming his victory around it. The reason I suspect the EU opened negotiations again is because Johnson gave away more than he gained, so it was in their interests to have another discussion.

I have yet to see any evidence that Johnson has actively tried to get something done, other than trying to force us into a no deal (although that is not exactly accurate as we would end up in a 'deal' with the WTO) at the end of October. Where we are now is not what the ERG wanted him to go I can imagine behind the scenes chats over an 1864 glass of Dom Perignon on this subject haven't been pleasant. ;-)

I cannot vote Tory due to Zac being the rep in Richmond and Boris, but Labour are going to throw us back 40 years, I actually dont agree with Lib Dems saying they will just cancel the referendum result (they would have been better served going the second referendum route) - and Farage is nothing but scum. Looks like the Greens have my vote (as long as they dont ban 2 litre vauxhall turbo engined cars lol)

Re Boris...I'm not so sure he's a puppet of the ERG or even that committed to their cause. Boris has weaselled his way up the slippery pole to the top job. Going back to the time after the referendum result Boris was split on which way to go in terms of supporting the Conservative remain campaign. He chose leave in a gamble that there would be a leave vote as it was always going to end up handing him the job he wanted.  He went back to the EU having taken a very no nonsense hard approach and got them to cross a big red line of theirs (reopening the agreement) and actually got it passed so he did actually secure a Brexit deal technically. It was only the rest of the fools in Parliament that refused to stick to the timetable for debating and amending the bill. Bearing in mind that it was only a very slightly revised version of the May deal it's a total farce that they didn't allow it just to be passed. 

I think it's easy to get sucked into the idea that Boris is an ardent anti EU person Boris's number 1 concern is Boris and his politics is very flexible to suit his needs. 

#37 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

Boris's number 1 concern is Boris and his politics is very flexible to suit his needs. 

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^

Edited by PaulCP, 06 November 2019 - 08:20 PM.

#38 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

I think most MPs are flexible to suit there own needs.

#39 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:51 PM

To be fair a few MPs literally risked their careers for what they thought was right i.e Boris rail roading this country into a no deal by unlawfully putting in process to clog up parliament among many other things. They lost the whip, lost their position, and potentially could be out of a career based on the rejection of the suicidal Boris approach to leaving Europe i.e. shouting promises that are utterly unkeepable and anyone with an ounce of common sense knows its bluster and quite frankly utter bullocks, but fire up the right wing element of the electorate which will keep him on the throne.  

#40 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

The way she behaves the next one will be a "Jo Swinson for milk monitor" pamphlet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users