Finally, A Corona Virus Thread...

• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

#21 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:45 PM

McLaren pull out of the opening Australian Grand Prix after just getting there. Team members tested positive. Long bloody way to go to get a blood test.

Quite how Ferrari are allowed anywhere is beyond me, given Maranello (and Fiorano) have been in the quarantine zone. Not like they're going to win anything this year anyway. :D

And it's officially postponed. No surprise there.

#22 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:46 PM

Euro's next?

#23 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

Euro's next?

no       :(  i have booked Monaco for 5 days matt !!

Edited by Crazyfrog (Fab), 12 March 2020 - 03:57 PM.

#24 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

Can see the Euros being called off. The sheer scope of the tournament across Europe with so many travelling fans and large groups...I guess they will wait until very late on but still.

#25 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

Euro's next?

G'day Fab. How are you?

Yeah, I think it's a prime candidate I'm afraid. It would be bad enough if it was just being hosted in one country but given it's being based all over Europe with all of the travelling fans that means, I just can't believe they'll let it go ahead. Too early in the summer as well, so things will likely still be in full swing.

Hopefully, they'll can it earlier, rather than later and not leave it until a few hours before it all kicks off, like they have with Melbourne (a friend of mine and his wife flew down there at the start of the week for it :beat: ).

#26 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

Is Nicola Sturgeon trying to make herself and the SNP look better by constantly leaking everything virus related ahead of any UK-wide announcements? Every time there's a COBRA meeting on it, sure enough she's out there holding a press conference. Should stop including any of the fcuknuggets and let them whine on about Westminster and the Tory Government like Sadiq does. Sweaty bitch. thumbsdown

#27 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

Euro's next?

G'day Fab. How are you?

Yeah, I think it's a prime candidate I'm afraid. It would be bad enough if it was just being hosted in one country but given it's being based all over Europe with all of the travelling fans that means, I just can't believe they'll let it go ahead. Too early in the summer as well, so things will likely still be in full swing.

Hopefully, they'll can it earlier, rather than later and not leave it until a few hours before it all kicks off, like they have with Melbourne (a friend of mine and his wife flew down there at the start of the week for it :beat: ).

Meeting on Tuesday to discuss calling it off and pushing it into next year.

#28 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

Is Nicola Sturgeon trying to make herself and the SNP look better by constantly leaking everything virus related ahead of any UK-wide announcements? Every time there's a COBRA meeting on it, sure enough she's out there holding a press conference. Should stop including any of the fcuknuggets and let them whine on about Westminster and the Tory Government like Sadiq does. Sweaty bitch. thumbsdown

I saw on some dire breakfast Tv (it was put on by someone else, honest) that she was saying "well in scotland, we would do this, but its upto westminster as to what they do"

go fcuk yourself :lol:

#29 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

Still remains unclear....is Coronavirus creating any more deaths than a regular flu season?

Italy is up to 1000 fatalities which seems a lot for a developed country but is it?

Also why are people buying toilet rolls? Business as usual here I've passed through London today nothing out of the ordinary. One face mask.

#30 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

I'm surprised we don't have one yet. 

I've been using a GIS dashboard which tracks confirmed Coronavirus (COVID-19) global cases by state/province or country depending on geographic size. Some interesting data! Death rate appears to be higher than the media are reporting. 6% in the source province in china going on current numbers but there are still many cases reported as 'live'.

Anyone know anything (other than bog roll must protect you).

I've been using that too:

https://systems.jhu....ic-health/ncov/

I was due to go to northern Italy next week so I was also using this:

https://lab.gedidigi...ct-3&refresh_ce

No such equivalent interactive information for the UK available as far as I'm aware.

Up to date information in this country is pretty useless without having to trawl to find it.  A map of Wales with only  total numbers and no specific area notifications is useless to me because I need to know how close it is to where I live because my wife will need to self isolate for medical reasons.

However we needn't worry because the at breaking point NHS is fully equipped to deal with the outbreak.

I got a full refund for the cancelled holiday next week from a local firm.  I cancelled a holiday on Lake Como in June within the specified cancellation dates after paying only £100 deposit and now Tui are pursuing me for £300 in addition for 'cancellation fees'.  Greedy twats.

#31 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

How to make your Toilet Paper last longer.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ezAsG3ZhdQg

#32 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:17 PM

GSe3EwQt.jpg

#33 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:39 AM

SOP

There are obviously a number of slightly different requirements in Scotland, but its not unlike the nats to use any opportunity to wheel out the "we do things differently in Scotland" trope..

The current crisis doesn't help them politically either (unless the UK gov make a monumental arse of this) as mostly facile political and constitutional changes such as separation or Brexit are washed away by something that will genuinely have an effect on peoples lives.. A UK wide response and the requirement of cooperation is at odds with their general separatist agenda.

On the other hand, it is distracting from the fact that their most prominent former leader is on trial for some of the most serious offences of a previously elected politician in living memory.

Swing n roundabouts etc.

#34 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:17 AM

To his credit, Pete Wishart (didn't know about his music background until then) did sound mostly grown up and non-partisan on the subject of the pandemic on QT last night.

That loopy shouty public health professor on the the other hand..... :wacko:

On the bright side, this delaying phase of the virus will hopefully mean Wimbledon gets canned this summer and we wont have to endure wall-to-wall coverage of Sue Barker and grunting people on the BBC for 2 weeks.

#35 furtive

furtive

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:29 PM

On the bright side, this delaying phase of the virus will hopefully mean Wimbledon gets canned this summer and we wont have to endure wall-to-wall coverage of Sue Barker and grunting people on the BBC for 2 weeks.

I hope not! I've got tickets to Centre Court for the last day of the 3rd round

#36 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

#37 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

UK Virus ALERT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

The Russians have said “It's not us”

WHO have just escalated it to a full Pandemic.........

I'm off to the pub for a pint till this all blows over.

#38 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:56 PM

I've got a cold, and keep licking the handles on the trains....

some people will do anything to get two weeks off work!

#39 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:58 PM

UK Virus ALERT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

That is really very funny :lol:

#40 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:08 PM

UK Virus ALERT

A excellent roundup and summery there Ken...British diplomacy at its best!😂

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users