MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:52 AM

On average 17000 die a year from normal flu here in the UK and yet we were so unbothered most didn't even have a flu jab! (or buy extra toilet paper) 

We live in a strange world, but thanks all for starting my day with some properly funny stuff.

Keep well all.

Martin S

#63 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

#64 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:11 AM

On average 17000 die a year from normal flu here in the UK and yet we were so unbothered most didn't even have a flu jab! (or buy extra toilet paper) 

We live in a strange world, but thanks all for starting my day with some properly funny stuff.

Keep well all.

Martin S

This. USA stats are staggering. 12000 to 60000 on a regular winter Flu year. 

As you say thats for flu that in the main there's a fecking vaccine for. 

2009 Swine flu pandemic was far worse and again there was a vaccine for that still 18000 souls lost but no mass panic. 

Social media happened I guess. 

We will probably have this every winter now.

#65 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

I think the main thing is the terror people face when they realise they are not in control of everything. When there is something out there untreatable there is panic, especially when you have gossip rags like the Daily Mail etc. headlining the equivalent of 'Lockdown Imminent PANIC' - listen people, natures kills us thousands of different ways, this is just another.

#66 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:12 PM

Yes total herd mentality. There are a lot of things going on with people all the time. We all get sick and cork it eventually. hospitals are busy places. I think a lot of lessons hopefully will be learned. At the moment fingers crossed it might look like the world looks at us for answers as we seem to be the polar opposite of Italy who seem to have a completely abnormal infection rate. 

#67 Nelpo

Nelpo

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Impractical cars, scale modelling, rc planes

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:00 PM

Here is the link to the yearly government report on seasonal flu:

https://assets.publi..._2019-FINAL.pdf

• As mentioned above the average deaths over the last 5 years have been 17,300 per winter season (for England alone) which is ~47 per day mean averaged out over a full year
  • The winter of 2017/2018 saw 26,400 deaths which is 72 per day for a whole year (again, just for England)

I still haven't seen a clear answer as to why COVID19 might be significantly worse than any other year. I don't remember reading anything significant about the dangers of seasonal flu over the last few years. There was no panic buying, schools and borders weren't being closed. People are going nuts for nothing and the media is whipping everything up into a panic to generate more revenue. The problem is that governments now have to take drastic action because otherwise they seem incompetent, despite the fact that at the moment this year doesn't seem to be worse than any other.

So far we have 35 total deaths in the whole of the UK... less than half of an average day in 2017/2018. The knock the economy has taken due to disruption to business could lead to more deaths than the virus itself. Less money to help get people out of poverty, less money for the NHS, people losing jobs etc. Madness. 

Edited by Nelpo, 16 March 2020 - 02:09 PM.

#68 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:34 PM

yeah they are all doing it for a laugh

I mean are we still doing this seasonal flu thing?

#69 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:17 PM

yeah they are all doing it for a laugh

I mean are we still doing this seasonal flu thing?

This. ^^

Seasonal flu is a killer. No doubt. It's possibly not quite as infectious as COVID-19 but for the sake of comparison, lets say they're equally as infectious.

But COVID-19 is currently orders of magnitude more of a killer.

Seasonal flu mortality rate = 0.1-0.2%

COVID-19 anywhere from 2%-5% depending on who's numbers you go on.

Or 7.5%+ if you go by the Faecesbook Fcuknugget numbers who cant quite grasp the fact that many thousands more people who get it and recover never seek medical attention and thus never get anywhere near the reported total infected numbers.

Personally, I think the Government have been doing the right thing by trying to flatten that infection bell curve whilst not closing down the economy. But fcuktards like that uber-remainer rabid anti-Tory ex-public health professor on QT (who gives a fcuk what you did in Bahrain) the other night have fed the beast that is public panic and I guess we'll start heading towards stricter isolation.

#70 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:46 PM

Doesn’t help when the BBC keep interviewing people who they claim are “experts” asking them the same questions over and over again. They had 3 at a location somewhere yesterday being interviewed who all had differing views and advise and then they switched back to the studio where they introduced another 2 “experts” and started to ask them the same questions. That was the point where I turned the TV off!

All they get are different opinions from those who are revelling in their 2 minutes of fame on TV. No wonder confusion reigns😠

Apparently one of the French “experts” has said today that taking paracetamol and ibuprofen just aggravates the virus and is counter productive. Maybe he can’t get any and is trying to stop the panic buying of them 🤔.

Although I guess they have to fill their 4 hour daily news slots with something. Cheaper than making decent TV programmes but they don’t even make those anymore. Can’t wait for summer and the light evenings, we hardly ever turn the TV on then 🤞

Edited by PaulCP, 16 March 2020 - 03:49 PM.

#71 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

You see, that's different to yesterday. Yesterday, Ibuprofen was bad and paracetamol were good.

Agreed, I despair of the senstationalist coverage of TV, radio and print media. All of it just feeds the beast and that's before you get to irresponsible headlines from the ilk of the Daily Mail or Daily Express. I'm a chat radioholic and usually listen to the radio all day long. Haven't bothered since the start of last week as it's just the same drivel and the same muppets calling in with the same stupid questions or same stupid solutions.

#72 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

You have to bear in mind flu has a vaccine and established healthcare procedures, this doesnt. Something like 20m people a year globally die from heart issues. 10m from cancer. Lets see where this ends up on that scale.

Edited by coldel, 16 March 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#73 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,871 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

You have to bear in mind flu has a vaccine, this doesnt. Something like 20m people a year globally die from heart issues. 10m from cancer. Lets see where this ends up on that scale.

And how many die of hunger..

#74 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

The world, nature, takes tens of millions globally each year. It is a control thing, because there is no cure its panic stations worldwide. Power of nature....maybe we should be kinder to it  :happy:

Edited by coldel, 16 March 2020 - 04:01 PM.

#75 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

And how many extra will die of hunger due to the entire world packing up and fcuking off home with or without a supply of bog roll for 3 or 4 months waiting for this to blow over?

#76 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:24 PM

And how many extra will die of hunger due to the entire world packing up and fcuking off home with or without a supply of bog roll for 3 or 4 months waiting for this to blow over?

None. Just because there is a lockdown that doesn't mean everyone stopping working and sitting at home. Food retailers will still work, as they do in Italy right now, supermarkets are open and selling food and the supply chain is still active. All services that are required for people to live will continue to run. 

#77 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

in this country maybe. Wait until it takes hold in the thirld world and see what happens.

#78 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

Gotta love the Americans.

Fcuk toilet roll, we need guns.

https://www.standard...n-a4387986.html

#79 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:47 PM

in this country maybe. Wait until it takes hold in the thirld world and see what happens.

I think they have much bigger things to worry about such as war, starvation/malnutrition, big third world killers such as malaria, genocide etc. :ninja: 

I actually wonder, given the average age in many third world countries is much lower than industrialised first world ones, they might have a lower mortality rate i.e. they dont have a huge older population waiting to get the hit. 

#80 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:50 PM

Gotta love the Americans.

Fcuk toilet roll, we need guns.

https://www.standard...n-a4387986.html

Americans will just nuke it from space!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users