Finally, A Corona Virus Thread...

• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

#101 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:44 AM

they dont want to clusterf**k the economy at a guess, especially when a lot is riding on the UK being a post brexit power.

#102 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:45 AM

PS I claim copyright on the term "mwah mwah nations"

#103 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:47 AM

I called them kissy kissy nations. Or kissy kissy kissy city in the case of Paris. That and the Catholic church have been Europes transmission vector of choice.

#104 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

I honestly don't think humans are organised enough for the conspiracy theories. We are creatures of instinct and organising a mass global conspiracy or  China releasing the virus deliberately etc is science fiction. 

I heard a great one. 

The US released it in China.  This was to make us all (or more specifically the american people) point the finger at China, stop buying their stuff and buy from home.  Make America great again. 

It kinda works but as you say, no one is capable of that level of dickishness.

#105 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:00 AM

Too much dribble being circulated on the internet/social media.  Fuels the fears of all the blanket fcuk tards who believe everything they read on cuntbook. No wonder people wanted to vote Corbin in. These situations always reconfirms that I havent been wrong all these years about society and its intense stupidity.

The virus happened its here. Just stay the fcuk indoors.  Either then get it or be responsible for spreading it and making this shitfest last longer. People should should just wind thier hero necks in and all this 'i wont get it' bollocks stay inside and let it blow over.

Probably the same twats who are buying everything out of shops all the time. I care massively about what is happening but if we don't heed advice it will drag on and on and I live in splendid isolation my entire life! My business has ground to a halt.  Can't see anything improving for another 2 months.  Extrapolate that across the UK and that should be reason enough and provide motivation to stay indoors and let this all blow over as fast as it can.

#106 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:08 AM

Posted this on the 'Going out for a beer' thread but though it worth copying across here too.

Here in Jordan we're effectively in lock down and have been since the beginning of this week. No flights into or out of the country since midnight on Monday and all border crossings closed. Main routes into and out of Amman have checkpoints manned by the military to check for paperwork that allows certain essential services to continue to be provided. Restaurants, cafes, sporting facilities, cinemas etc etc etc all closed. Restaurants are though still able to offer a delivery service. Essential movements only which means for vital shopping and medical needs. And the population in general seems to be reacting well to it.

Total number of confirmed cases is 69 with one that has recovered. No reported deaths. About 6,000 in enforced quarantine but most of the population really are abiding by social distancing.

As an Embassy we're operating in crisis mode with a core team of about a dozen of us working shifts to ensure that we can keep the Embassy functioning and provide vital reporting to London. 75% of our 250 staff now work from home with the other 25% being allowed to come into the office for vital work that can't be done remotely.

My sense (and this is a personal view) is the Jordanian government reacted proportionately and effectively. And there is overall tremendous support for the military in how they are handling the situation.

I'm honestly glad I'm here rather than back in the UK.

Edited by Wolfstone, 20 March 2020 - 10:09 AM.

#107 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:31 PM

So we all agree pretty much that we should stay out of each other's way while this lasts but the reality is that in the UK an awful lot of people are still circulating as if nothing has changed which is why just telling people to stay at home simply is not enough.  Compliance requires compunction.  Since my post this morning I have heard that two of our grandsons in Australia are now in solitary confinement as a result of going to buy something in a food shop where an employee subsequently tested positive and this is how it spreads, just completely random, wrong place wrong time. 

It may well be the case that this is a 'kissy kissy' society and that is why coughs and sneezes spread easily here in France but I have to say that it is being taken pretty seriously here.  To leave the house you must have an attestation which has a 'tick the box' arrangement showing which of the permitted reasons allow you to be out.  Failure to comply can result in a fine of up to €130.  Whatever you may think of that approach the streets are almost empty and, more importantly, so are the supermarkets which have shelves heaving with everything you could possibly need save only for flour.  As above, people seem to understand and support what the Government is doing to try and keep the lid on what could be a very unpleasant episode.

Which brings me back to my original question, why is the British Gov being so deliberately lax about enforcing?  It defies logic that they seriously believe the British are in some way less likely to be infected than any other nationality or that they are still pursuing the 'Herd' theory so what is going on?    

#108 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

Which brings me back to my original question, why is the British Gov being so deliberately lax about enforcing?  It defies logic that they seriously believe the British are in some way less likely to be infected than any other nationality or that they are still pursuing the 'Herd' theory so what is going on?    

Well, London doesn't have 100,000 extra armed cops/paramilitary to deploy to enforce any compulsory isolation for a start. I guess the population generally don't particularly care for big government diktats nor does the government relish being the ones to force the entire country to come to a stop for an indeterminate period of time and would prefer to trust people to behave like responsible adults on advice alone. Outside London, or certainly where I am, people are only congregating publicly in any numbers at supermarkets as they desperately try to buy anything, whatever it is, and throw all caution and distancing to the wind, in their anxiety to get to the shelves.

If you're an uber right wing dingbat from one of those opaque economic think tanks, you probably do think it's a potential answer to the pensions, social care and housing crises given the demographics of the worst affected. Probably not much different on the ultra left end of the spectrum either - all those old people owning all of the property, fcuk 'em, reallocate the wealth.

#109 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

We went for one of our usual strolls along the beach from Aldburgh to Thorpness on Tuesday, just a 10min drive away. It was just like a normal March Tuesday with hardly anyone around.

Forward to yesterday and it was like Brighton in the summer. All of the Londoners have started to arrive to take up residence in their 2nd and holiday homes to escape any lockdown in the city now that the kids aren’t at school, with more expected by the weekend.  All the local shops had been raided by the out of town locusts by 5.00pm last night with many not opening today because they now have no stock. 

We have no cases of the virus reported locally up to now, I expect that to change in the coming week or two.

Report in local press this morning, Southwold High St is like Oxford St at Christmas. They say 2 out of every 3 people they spoke to are 2nd home owners just arrived from London due to the schools closure and general situation in London. One actually said “we’ve come to our 2nd home because the air is cleaner around here and we can move about without any fears” default_2guns.gif

Next to be attacked is expected to be Burnham (aka Chelsea on Sea) and Wells. 

I should make it clear that I have nothing against Londoners, but it does get annoying when your temporary safe haven has been invaded well ahead of the Easter holidays. Thankfully we know a few more isolated spots along the coast to be able to escape the crowds

#110 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:21 PM

Update from Jordan -

Total 24 hour curfew imposed here from tomorrow morning at 7am until further notice. Anyone outside will be arrested. All shops and everywhere closed from then on. Further details on supermarket access for essential food supplies and how this will work to be announced.

#111 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

Update from Jordan -

Total 24 hour curfew imposed here from tomorrow morning at 7am until further notice. Anyone outside will be arrested. All shops and everywhere closed from then on. Further details on supermarket access for essential food supplies and how this will work to be announced.

G'day Ken. Happy imprisonment. :(

Can you deploy the diplomatic immunity card and go the local strip club press club or wherever the diplomatic corps hang out these days? :P

As far as I can see, unless they're planning on effectively putting everyone in solitary confinement for the next 18 months or until there's a validated and effective vaccine widely available, people will just catch it once they come out of measures like that.

#112 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

We went for one of our usual strolls along the beach from Aldburgh to Thorpness on Tuesday, just a 10min drive away. It was just like a normal March Tuesday with hardly anyone around.
Forward to yesterday and it was like Brighton in the summer. All of the Londoners have started to arrive to take up residence in their 2nd and holiday homes to escape any lockdown in the city now that the kids aren’t at school, with more expected by the weekend. All the local shops had been raided by the out of town locusts by 5.00pm last night with many not opening today because they now have no stock.

We have no cases of the virus reported locally up to now, I expect that to change in the coming week or two.

Report in local press this morning, Southwold High St is like Oxford St at Christmas. They say 2 out of every 3 people they spoke to are 2nd home owners just arrived from London due to the schools closure and general situation in London. One actually said “we’ve come to our 2nd home because the air is cleaner around here and we can move about without any fears” default_2guns.gif

Next to be attacked is expected to be Burnham (aka Chelsea on Sea) and Wells.

I should make it clear that I have nothing against Londoners, but it does get annoying when your temporary safe haven has been invaded well ahead of the Easter holidays. Thankfully we know a few more isolated spots along the coast to be able to escape the crowds

Same happening here in South Devon, tons of people out in quite large groups just walking around and trying to enjoy the countryside, without a care in the world, with their fu@king dogs off the leash chasing and killing the local sheep. Obviously, people escaping the large cities to their second homes and of course adding to the spread of the virus and stripping the shelves of our local supermarket. Feel like shouting to them "Fu@k off back to you main homes and don't put us at risk". However, if i was in their position I would probably do the same!!!! We are all doomed....

#113 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:40 PM

Update from Jordan -

Now there is a country that has got it right!

#114 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:16 PM

I dont understand why people are saying that if we dont stick to the isolation it's going to drag out for months.

That's the exact opposite of what's going to happen. Isolation is going to drag it out for months, but itll save lives through not overwhelming the NHS.

If you really want it over in 2 weeks to get back to normal then let everyone do what they want and sacrifice the old and sick.

#115 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:18 PM

https://www.worldome...fo/coronavirus/

Something screwy is happening in Italy

Their quarantine started on 9th March so 3 more days and in theory they should see a huge drop in new cases. What if they don't?

I see the logic in our approach. One interesting thing I heard today on the wireless a GP was taking on 5 live that had actually had the virus (doesn't sound fun she was 60) she commented that the seasonal flu season is done now. I would guess that this is down to the flu jab and herd immunity each year.

A phased introduction of the virus is the only logical thing. Im sure the Government are keeping an eye on the build up and phasing the restrictions in. A test to find recovered people would be useful too.

As a side note I think you have to hand it to Boris I'm certainly no Conservative voter but showing leadership and provided these financial measures come through quickly they are doing the best they can.

If Corben and Abbot had been in charge we probably would all be dead now... without c19!

#116 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:22 AM

I dont understand why people are saying that if we dont stick to the isolation it's going to drag out for months.
That's the exact opposite of what's going to happen. Isolation is going to drag it out for months, but itll save lives through not overwhelming the NHS.
If you really want it over in 2 weeks to get back to normal then let everyone do what they want and sacrifice the old and sick.

This is the hard scientific reality amongst all the bollocks spouted here and elsewhere. Hidden agendas? FFS

#117 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:48 AM

I honestly don't think humans are organised enough for the conspiracy theories. We are creatures of instinct and organising a mass global conspiracy or  China releasing the virus deliberately etc is science fiction. 

I heard a great one. 

The US released it in China.  This was to make us all (or more specifically the american people) point the finger at China, stop buying their stuff and buy from home.  Make America great again. 

It kinda works but as you say, no one is capable of that level of dickishness.

Never assign conspiracy theory to something that can be explained by common stupidity.

#118 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Mark, I’ll make sure you get an invite to my funeral 🙄

#119 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

Social distancing/eventual lock-down is purely to slow down those that will get it, getting it, it's about spreading the load. Instead of more people getting it now and overwhelming an NHS (chronically underfunded for a decade, thanks Tories) system already at breaking point. I guess there are two outcomes from eventual lock down, one that it gives services a chance to recover for when it surges again (ultimately we cannot remain locked down forever) and the second one is the very hopeful one, that somehow the disease just dies out.  

I guess zoobeef said what is the reality, but with a little less tact! Lock-downs and social distancing will not make this go away in a few weeks - Boris has said turning point in 12 weeks which gives you some idea of what we are looking at. Even then its just a made up number, he never explained why 12 weeks would be a turning point, what will drive this turning point so on and so forth. 

#120 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:25 AM

Social distancing/eventual lock-down is purely to slow down those that will get it, getting it, it's about spreading the load. Instead of more people getting it now and overwhelming an NHS (chronically underfunded for a decade, thanks Tories) system already at breaking point. I guess there are two outcomes from eventual lock down, one that it gives services a chance to recover for when it surges again (ultimately we cannot remain locked down forever) and the second one is the very hopeful one, that somehow the disease just dies out.  

I guess zoobeef said what is the reality, but with a little less tact! Lock-downs and social distancing will not make this go away in a few weeks - Boris has said turning point in 12 weeks which gives you some idea of what we are looking at. Even then its just a made up number, he never explained why 12 weeks would be a turning point, what will drive this turning point so on and so forth. 

Hence why the bill he will put before Parliament gives the power to implement the measures for a period of up to 2 years.
Shame many MPs can’t see the strategy when asking for it to be amended to 6 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users