• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

clutch and fly being done on monday.. then hopefully chargecooler should arrive next week so i can get ripping the clam off and fitting..

going to bring the clam in the house and touch the chips up too..reminds me i need a trip to vxl!

http://www.guysleema...lery2/v/vxt/cc/

going to be uploading my progress pics here as i fit it, just tools and equip pictured so far.

Edited by Guy182, 11 May 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#22 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:37 PM

oblomov, could you let me know the part # of the Bosch circulation pump? Cheers, Steve

#23 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

been fitting mine today, got some detailed pics of the chargecooler kit. the welds are very nice and the whole kit is just made very well.

only thing that lets the kit down is being supplied with non stainless bolts!

heres how a 3 year old bolt looks:

Posted Image

so i went out and bought bags of stainless.
oh and the 4 bolts supplied to fit the pre rad to the rad.. fine if your using pro-alloy cooler and dont need the nice alloy spacers, but when using the spacers you need at least 20mm! i got 25's

#24 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

here's a list of what you need if anyone else is wishing to get the kit and use stainless fastenings. mine cost me about 3 quid for the lot from local fastenings place. using the list supplied with the kit, ive ammended it slightly for my experience, all required in stainless steel... Spal fan mounting 8x M6 Nyloc nuts 8x M6 flat washers Pre-rad to main rad 4of M6 x 16mm Hex heads if using proalloy rad or m6x25mm if using vauxhall rad 4of M6 nyloc nuts 8of M6 x 20mm penny washers Charge cooler mounting top 2of M6x16mm Hex heads 2of M6 Nyloc nuts chargecooler mounting Bottom 1of M6x16mm Hex head 1of M6x20mm penny washer 1of M8x16mm hex head - it looked longer than 16mm, more like 25 so i bought a M8x25 and M8x30 just incase, 1of M8x25mm penny washer Water tank fixings 1of M6x30mm Hex head 1of M6x16mm hex head 1of M6x16mm button head 3of M6 Nyloc nuts 6of M6x20mm penny washers

#25 Alex Os

Alex Os

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

thumbsup Thanks for the feed-back Guy. Very good point about the stainless bolts. When we developed the kit on my car i used stainless bolts as well, but at the time i thought i was being a little bit gay :huh: All our stock fixings are plated steel, but given the harsh environment which the fixings on the VX seem to be subjected too i think in future we will buy in stainless fixing especially for this kit thumbsup. If you have any further comments please let me know as we need peoples feed back to be able to address these things and ultimately get the kits 100% spot on.

#26 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

alex, one thing that oblomov noted and was the same with mine.. the fans are the wrong way round, i.e. the leads come out the front not the rear.. obviously no biggy, its simple enough to swap them round, probably just luck of the draw when they're fitted just thought it may be something to note, especially if you are going to start providing stainless fixings as then there would be no reason to touch the fans at all :)

tonight i've soldered the fans to the connector and heat shrinked them up, im hoping the black and blue on the standard spal fan is the same as the black and blue on the new spal fans like oblomovs was :)

hopefully tomorrow i can get on with routing stuff through the sills. will be sure to inform you of any other suggestions/feedback

couldnt believe how light the water tank is!

oh and feel free to use any of those photos if you want.

Edited by Guy182, 23 May 2007 - 11:14 PM.

#27 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

no wonder courtenays charge 600+ for fitting.. this is a twat of a job. lol! struggling to pull the old intercooler bottom pipe off. and just noticed some grease below the CV boot on the gearbox :( doh! back to the peeps who fitted my clutch then to have that sorted.

#28 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

measured the pump during normal running and its only 0.88A

i thought this seemed a little low at 12v, so did a bit of a search and its right.

Posted Image

from bosch's website.

as the cable run from the battery is 17.5A, I've decided i'm going to T into this supply, and put a switch in the cab to activate the fans. - was impressed at how much air these blow! the temps shot down as soon as these kicked in.

more internet research discovers each spal fan is 7.9A max, giving 16 amps, leaving 1.5A for the pump to use.

i'm also going to replace the 15A fuse on the relay with a 5A.

#29 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

all done now

just need to refit front arch liner and test drive it, when its dry weather.

cheers to alex for answering a quick Q the other day on the phone

mounted switch for the fans in the drivers cubby hole out the way.

http://www.guysleema...llery2/v/vxt/cc

#30 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

oblomov, could you let me know the part # of the Bosch circulation pump?

Cheers,
Steve

The pump part number is 0 392 023 004 thumbsup :D

all done now

just need to refit front arch liner and test drive it, when its dry weather.

cheers to alex for answering a quick Q the other day on the phone

mounted switch for the fans in the drivers cubby hole out the way.

http://www.guysleema...llery2/v/vxt/cc

Nice one Guy thumbsup :D and some good extra info for anyone else deciding to do a bit of DIY, and yes it is a TWAT of a job isn't it. :lol:

#31 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

another point.. i connected blue to blue and black to black on my fan wiring.. but it blew the wrong way. however from the guide oblomovs blew the right way.. so im guessing thats luck of the draw with how your VX was made?! lol but dont panic.. the plug is like the bosch one you fit to the pump, i.e. you can just pull the pins out! so i just grabbed the blue and black wires on the standard connector (that you have cut off the OE spal fan and soldered to your new spal fans) and then pulled them so the pins came out, then pushed them back in opposite holes. sorted :)

#32 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

got any data from the obd for before and after??

#33 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

i did a set run and got the mrs to monitor the temperatures. i then noted these down, and then took it easy upon leaving the dual carriage'd test strip and drove normally, and noted down at certain 'landmarks' (one of those being a massage parlour :lol:) how the temperature cooled back down. ive just refitted my arch liner so the car is all ready to drive. will probably have to wait till later to get the mrs to read the temps again while i drive. i intend to do the same route and try to drive in the same manner and note the new temperatures.

Edited by Guy182, 28 May 2007 - 12:22 PM.

#34 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

just taken it for its first drive. didnt have the mrs with me so will do the comparison results later

anyway this drive,
intake temps at 18degrees, drove for a few miles till the coolant was up to temp (showing ~85 constantly)

anyway, gave it a few boots accelerating wildly to 80/90 leptons and only saw temps go to 22degrees and dropping back to 19ish - first impressions, wow this is cool!

drove a bit more giving it a few hard go's then i hit the bit of empty test strip that has 2 carriageways,
booting it at 100leptons (accelerating wildly) it was only showing 27degrees. from memory when i first had the remap done this would have been around 50degrees

booting it to 130 leptons the most i ever saw was 32degrees.

the most i saw with the standard intercooler on my own down the same stretch of test strip when i first had remap done and was doing similar testing was 67degrees under full load at 130leptons. at this point you would let off the throttle and it would go back down to around 35 degrees with standard intercooler, now it shoots back down to 25ish degrees.

more results to follow this evening.

Edited by Guy182, 28 May 2007 - 01:42 PM.

#35 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

visited the test strip tonight. upon leaving my house driving there the intake temp was just 14 degrees

accelerating hard from 60-130ish leptons several times and general hard driving 79 degrees on standard intercooler max

pro alloy chargecooler was 27

just after leaving the strip driving normally, by landmark 1 I.c. was 32 degrees CC is 24
landmark 2 IC was 25 CC was 21
landmark 3 IC was 21 CC was 19

during general normal driving the temp was just 16-19

then another trip to the strip saw run accelerating to 140leptons saw a max of 31, then when let off and coasting down within 5 seconds the temperature had dropped back down to 21.

admmittedly it is slightly colder tonight than when i did the before runs but i dont think that accounts for much to be fair.

i would say they are pretty good independent before and after results.

#36 subseamac

subseamac

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

sounds convincing. In hindsight, do you still believe it's worth fitting yourself or would you rather have spent the £600 on Courtenays to do it?

#37 jasvxt

jasvxt

Scary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

sounds convincing. In hindsight, do you still believe it's worth fitting yourself or would you rather have spent the £600 on Courtenays to do it?

:lol: :P ;)

#38 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:34 AM

i now understand why courtenay charge that amount to fit it as it is an awkward job and is well justified, however it cost me 60 something in parts and took me a few days, as i was in no rush i could sort other little jobs, like that seized bolt, making trips to town to buy stainless bolts, wire in switch for the fans, etc. and ive learnt alot more about the car and can feel quite proud of fitting it myself.

if your a hands on person and have a week spare and fancy saving over 500 quid, then DIY fit isnt 'too' bad.. just very awkward and fiddly.

if your not a hands on person i think you would be better off paying to have it done.

if i ever meet oblomov he definately deserves a pint for the guide!

#39 jasvxt

jasvxt

Scary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

Think it comes natural to Eric being a Rocket scientist etc ;)

#40 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

Think it comes natural to Eric being a Rocket scientist etc ;)

Rocket Scientist? I'm a lift attendant - fantastic job, I get to travel a lot and meet people. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users