Updated M M G Stage1+ Map

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:51 PM

You lot are making him out to be a gangster and that he will "deal with you" if you have any doubts :lol:

#22 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

You lot are making him out to be a gangster and that he will "deal with you" if you have any doubts :lol:

:lol: I was worried that it might come across a bit like that. So that was the best I could come up with :lol:

Seriously though he is really friendly and helpful and will be more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

#23 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

Do maps degrade over time or just as usual the engine components themselves which therefore render the map less effective. Does that make sense?

#24 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:16 AM

Do maps degrade over time or just as usual the engine components themselves which therefore render the map less effective.
Does that make sense?

Whilst having never written a map for a car, or studied the long term effects when used, I cannot imagine they would degrade. At the end of the day it is just digital data stored as 0's and 1's and they digital information doesn't degrade like analogue. The only way it would change is if the ECU was allowed to make self adjustments to the maps.

Otherwise I'd wager any long term differences were probably down to component wear / cylinder capacity loss etc

#25 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Too be honest even with the tubby ecu transplant, I think it will be a Courtenay only job still! Just because I can imagine the base map being completely different to a tubby and they would have to figure out what to turn off adapt etc!

From what I understand mapping an SC is much easier than turbo, which is how you can do it with out full contorl of the 2.2 ECU.
However I think what will be a Courtenay (or more to the point klassen) thing will be having the control of the ECU to switch off alot of functionality no longer required in a SC eninge without the ECU throwing it's toys out of the pram.

#26 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

Being an ignorant monkey I have no idea how these dyno plots compare to say a Courtenay or TMS stage 2. Anyone care to comment ?

Generally similar shape, but it appears MMG maps tend to have more peak power and torque I think.

No idea. I don't think we've ever seen a real dyno plot from an MMG mapped car yet. :unsure:

By real I assume you mean rolling road? I've never seen one either but on the Welsh run we were both on and the recent Peak District run I was comfortably out accelerating Mani's VXR (he claims it's about 235bhp, but worst case should be 217bhp) and kept up with MrSimba's Exige 260 (though he might not have been gunning it because I think he was worried about stone chips). That would suggest the power figures are realistic at least.

spuk87, Are you running the standard clutch ? If so have you experienced any slippage ? How many miles have you got on the car ?
I guess running on the road you haven't given the car enough of a hammering to see the map backing off a bit due to temperatures getting too high ?
I'm asking because my car is mainly used on the track. I am therefore pondering whether to go for the road or track map. In fairness I dont redline through the gears on the track anyway...it would be nice to have that extra torque even if it meant short shifting to keep the heat down!

Cheers,
Wrighty

#27 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

I think Liam has two maps. One for road use and one for track use for the reason you mentioned. However, I believe MMG are about to release a new intercooler so you can use the road map on track. And I'm not sure if I've asked you this already, but where abouts in Derby are you? ETA, I'm running the MMG stage 2, and haven't had any issues with it backing off when driving spiritedly on road. But I guess that is intermittent on road, and not at all like it would be on track.

Edited by turbobob, 11 October 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#28 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

Bob you are correct - Liam backs the track map off a bit to help keep the temps down with the oe intercooler (its the low / mid range torque thats reduced so higher revs dont really make much difference ;)), was having a play with some custom maps on Saturday morning on a members stg2 with DG magic :P have to say goes really well and temps were fine, but as stated I have not tested on track as it is not for the track anyway but I found I could alsways get higher peak temps on the road over track due to the higer constant speed you maintain on track but obviously lap after lap you can get that average a lot higher. New i/c getting tested soon, no idea when they will be ready for general consumption :P DG

#29 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

New i/c getting tested soon, no idea when they will be ready for general consumption :P

DG

Another MMG one Duncan ?

#30 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

I think Liam has two maps. One for road use and one for track use for the reason you mentioned.

However, I believe MMG are about to release a new intercooler so you can use the road map on track.

And I'm not sure if I've asked you this already, but where abouts in Derby are you?

ETA, I'm running the MMG stage 2, and haven't had any issues with it backing off when driving spiritedly on road. But I guess that is intermittent on road, and not at all like it would be on track.

Hi turbobob,

I live down in Hilton, just off the A50. Do enjoy the odd run down to the A50/A38 Toyota roundabout and back again! Yourself ?
Thanks for replying. I think I need to talk to Liam really as to how feasible it would be to run the road map on track without the intercooler.
Have you got any power/torque figures for your stage 2 ? Any cluth slip issues ? cheers.

#31 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

New i/c getting tested soon, no idea when they will be ready for general consumption :P

DG

Another MMG one Duncan ?

Yes Liam has a new option going through testing ;)

#32 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

DG

Another MMG one Duncan ?

Is this the 'not as good as the first one' option?

#33 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

DG

Another MMG one Duncan ?

Why are you interested Tim? I thought you were CC only :P

Watch this space for developments.

#34 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

DG

Another MMG one Duncan ?

Tim there is the super efficiant one he uses on the stage 4's etc and this one is a extreme core and looking at more of a stage 3 option, cheaper overall unit also. Cant remember the full details so prob best to speak to the man himself if anyone is interested :)

DG

#35 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

DG

Another MMG one Duncan ?

Tim there is the super efficiant one he uses on the stage 4's etc and this one is a extreme core and looking at more of a stage 3 option, cheaper overall unit also. Cant remember the full details so prob best to speak to the man himself if anyone is interested :)

DG

:yeahthat:

Even though the super efficient one is still considerably cheaper than the CC system!!

#36 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Always interested in new developments :) Can feel a splurge on the vx building. Went out in the vx for the first time in about 6 weeks on Sunday. Couple of odd noises on start up, soon disappeared when warm, didn't feel as spritely as before but I'm not sure if that's down to my new daily drive being much quicker than the last one.

Edited by VXT Tim, 11 October 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#37 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

I think Liam has two maps. One for road use and one for track use for the reason you mentioned.

However, I believe MMG are about to release a new intercooler so you can use the road map on track.

And I'm not sure if I've asked you this already, but where abouts in Derby are you?

ETA, I'm running the MMG stage 2, and haven't had any issues with it backing off when driving spiritedly on road. But I guess that is intermittent on road, and not at all like it would be on track.

Hi turbobob,

I live down in Hilton, just off the A50. Do enjoy the odd run down to the A50/A38 Toyota roundabout and back again! Yourself ?
Thanks for replying. I think I need to talk to Liam really as to how feasible it would be to run the road map on track without the intercooler.
Have you got any power/torque figures for your stage 2 ? Any cluth slip issues ? cheers.

I'm in Borrowash. I think I do recall you saying that you are in Hilton, as you and PaulusH have had a rendezvous in the romantic supermarket car park didn't you ? :gayfight: :lol:

#38 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Always interested in new developments :)

Can feel a splurge on the vx building.

Went out in the vx for the first time in about 6 weeks on Sunday. Couple of odd noises on start up, soon disappeared when warm, didn't feel as spritely as before but I'm not sure if that's down to my new daily drive being much quicker than the last one.

What are you like Tim :rolleyes: I thought you'd made your mind up on the CC?

I think your VX deserves some TLC after you have had a new toy to play with. And how's that going btw? Have you montuned yet?

#39 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

Always interested in new developments :)

Can feel a splurge on the vx building.

Went out in the vx for the first time in about 6 weeks on Sunday. Couple of odd noises on start up, soon disappeared when warm, didn't feel as spritely as before but I'm not sure if that's down to my new daily drive being much quicker than the last one.

What are you like Tim :rolleyes: I thought you'd made your mind up on the CC?

I think your VX deserves some TLC after you have had a new toy to play with. And how's that going btw? Have you montuned yet?

It had some sweet Duncan love at the beginning of the year, some new nitrons not long back.
I think it just needs to be driven, rolling stone and all that.
St is great I really love it. Mountune is going to have to make way for wifes 30th bash!

Edited by VXT Tim, 11 October 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#40 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

I'm in Borrowash. I think I do recall you saying that you are in Hilton, as you and PaulusH have had a rendezvous in the romantic supermarket car park didn't you ? :gayfight: :lol:

No, it was another calypso n/a I spotted in the car park (and never got to the bottom of who it was!)
Then some time later ran into Paulus H around the roundabouts of Hilton. I followed him for a bit and he pulled over for a quick chat.
What would you say the stage 2 is like vs the standard tubby ?....a nice little bit extra or massively better ?

Edited by WrightStuff, 11 October 2010 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users