• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#81 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Extras on top of those required for transplant.

- Nitron 46Race Track day pro spec.

- EP wishbones with OEM bushes and ball joints.

- New TRE's

- New wheel bearing and hub units all round.

- Front brakes, AP 4 pot Lotus. Discs 308mm.

- Rear brakes, refurb original brembo, paint and sticker to prettify, standard discs.

- New SS camber shims.

- New SS caster shims.

- New Subber washers.

- SS load spreading front towing eye mount.

- New nuts, bolts, washers, rivnuts, P clips, etc for all suspension, brakes, body work, subframe and many other things. In various materials (SS, Steel, aluminum, rubber, plastic) according to where and what they were doing.

- Heat shielding.

- Everything that was not renewed and found to have corrosion or damage was repaired and refurbed, with the exception of very few parts, one thing I did not refurb was the rusty mounting bracket for the horn of was it the alarm siren, I forget.

- Repair corroded brake pipe in rear of drivers sill, common prob but can be repaired if you go in with fuel tank off and put a join in there. Cleaned and protected the rest of the brake pipes.

- Repair bodywork, stress cracks behind intake ears, stress cracks under nose where clam fixes to side pieces behind fog lights, blowouts of GRP in several area's.

- Full respray including epoxy base coat.

- Front V in body colour.

- New windscreen with black surround, on insurance for chip in original.

- Hardtop, finally painted.

- Soft top cleaned about 15 times, dyed 3 times and waterproofed 3 times. Thanks DG but I used all your soft top restore kit :P

- General clean up of everything that was exposed while working on car, not normally accessible.

- Protection of everything possible with Duralac, Corrosion Block spray/grease and ACF50.

I'm sure to have missed some stuff there as it was all from memory.

Still plenty to do before I'm completely happy as mentioned before, but mostly it's cosmetic or noise related stuff.

Something I would do different would be to use a sound deadening type of heat shielding on the bulkhead, no big heat source on that side of new engine so would have benefited from a material with less heat capacity but more sound suppression. Quite a lot of work to change that for the sake of about 1-2kg saving, so will just sound proof from inside of bulkhead by laminating 2 or 3 products starting with a high density base which is quite heavy hence will be thin.

#82 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

- Soft top cleaned about 15 times, dyed 3 times and waterproofed 3 times. Thanks DG but I used all your soft top restore kit  In fairness I never thought you would bring that back from the dead lol. Never wanted to use it on my soft top anyway :P lol DG

#83 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

- Soft top cleaned about 15 times, dyed 3 times and waterproofed 3 times. Thanks DG but I used all your soft top restore kit  In fairness I never thought you would bring that back from the dead lol. Never wanted to use it on my soft top anyway :P lol DG

Oh I did it inside and out as well, took ages. Quite impressed myself from where it started with all the growth on it.

#84 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

One thing I have not mentioned that might be of interest....

Insurance, declared everything down to changing body work fastenings and 350+ BHP (told them I was unsure as it had not been on a RR for testing power yet, but would be 350 or more, will phone back with final power when it's measured), total increase per year..... £80 :D

#85 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

That is just an epic amount of work. Awesome job.

#86 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, cant wait for the weather to improve for the car to really shine :) DG

#87 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Wow, what a project Imnotworthy  I will keep my fingers crossed it proves reliable.

Steve

#88 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Who are you insured with Crabash? £80 difference is amazing considering engine change plus massive power

#89 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

REIS, but im sure they stopped taking on new vx/elise customers, due to the boy racer types buying them second hand now. Been with them years now and they have been very good to me. Oh trackday cover included.

#90 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Brakes sorted, knackered non return valve prob with being stood so long, pikey mod got it working but not properly sealed. At least I know what it is though. They are pretty sharp now, have to get used to them again. Almost dry roads here so opened up a little more, Im going to need an airfield to test this properly.

Edited by Crabash, 02 January 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#91 pigbag04

pigbag04

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

unbelievable amount of work by all involved. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it rallly

#92 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the pax yesterday Steve. I can confirm it is bloody quick and apparently it was on the lowest power setting. Particularly love the way it has been kept almost totally OEM in looks with all the magic hidden away. Lovely job.

#93 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yep its on just above oem boost setting :P there was no way I could data log on aggressive boost the week before Steve took it - weather was shocking

Know Steve is on high alert for dry roads to take it out and turn the settings up a bit. I got the p*ss taken out of me for putting it on that baby boost setting :D but also warned by wife if I stacked it not to come home lol

Glad you like it :B

Think Steve will have a queue of people come the nice weather to sample the new powerplant

DG

#94 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

No problem Neil, I tried to demonstrate how well this engine delivers power, non of the surge of torque you get with the zlet, unless I ask for it. Very progressive feel to the power. Should be out there now, but have just had my 3rd sleepless night in a row. Not slept since sat night with the pain in my teeth, gums and jaw. On antibiotics now but no improvement yet. Got 2 extractions and 3 fillings to look forward to when the infection clears :-(

#95 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Yeah the power delivery was unreal - immediate and consistent! Hope you get sorted Steve, no fun at all having tooth pain :-(

#96 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Ouch, whisky always helps me through the pain.

#97 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image

Great build, and great read too. 

One question, wouldn't it have made more sense to mount the charge cooler on the left and air intake on the right? 

#98 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

No that would have meant a longer and more complicated charge route and a lot more bespoke parts.

#99 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

That was my intial plan and certainly gave a shorter run for intake to turbo but in a quest to not mod the subframe / clams etc and oem look it made more sense and was nice smooth routing in the vx220 turbo oem position.

The other option was to turn the turbo upside down but for what it solved it caused more pain hence opting for that layout

It really was the cleanest / best tetrix option ;)

Cheers

DG

#100 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

No that would have meant a longer and more complicated charge route and a lot more bespoke parts.

Short answer :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine swap, audi, tfsi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users