• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#81 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

I used biodegradable water based rust remover. Comes as a liquid or powder, mix with water, sling parts in bucket, take them out after a day and wire brush loose stuff off, maybe a scrape or a few taps for stubborn bits, then back in the bucket. I used 2 buckets so the thick came off in one bucket and didn't use up the the "clean" bucket as fast. I built a bath for the ARB from bricks and plastic sheet to keep the volume required down.

Used zinc etching primer then smooth hammerite.

http://www.vx220.org...art-transplant/

Edited by Crabash, 08 December 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#82 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Posted Image
New clutch in the post today, decided against the focus rs clutch as this was better suited capable for well over the power and torque im hoping for and it can be used with the standard spring plate and flywheel. Will be fitting this monday hopefully before putting all the ancillaries back on the engine with new gaskets etc....

#83 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

That will be a vicious clutch with an unsprung plate!

#84 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

That will be a vicious clutch with an unsprung plate!

the dual mass flywheel should make things a bit smoother hopefully

#85 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

Hope so.  When I had an unsprung plate I found it would chirrup the tyres every gear change if I was driving slow through a town.  Fine if you're blasting!

#86 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

I ran a 4 paddle solid centre on a m32 6 speed box setup on dmf and was a pussy cat DG

#87 allsteel

allsteel

• PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Winning lottery tickets,scantily clad women,real ale poured with a head,modified cars,great guitar playing.

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

Great project this. That T5 motor is a good choice. Strong as fuxx and they fly. I've always been a sucker for a different engine in a car and i'll be watching this one all the way to see how it turns out.

#88 simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

Glad to see progress is still being made  thumbsup

#89 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

Yes progress is being made although it has ground to a hault over the last few weeks without much chance to get down the garage but I have some small updates for you guys...
The engine has had a light coat of paint after a good clean up and ive managed to fit the paddle clutch
Posted Image

Started to reassemble it all trying to keep it as tidy as possible :/ at the same time removed some of the old wiring from the loom which was for the air con which has been ditched also I thought this would be a good time to switch out my injectors for the focus rs ones.
Posted Image

Didnt like the way the alternator was sticking out so far so redone the adjustor arm on it to bring it in a lot closer to the block. It also works a lot smoother now for adjustment of the alt. Belt which il be needing to replace with a smaller sized belt.this is it whiyh yhe engine in place as is atm.
Posted Image

Cleaned up all the rear end of the car and gave it a coat of matt black. Looks s lot better than the old dirty looking fibre glass... didnt get s pic with it painted :/
Posted Image
Did paint the engine mounts red at one point thought it looked terrible so I decided to go matt black with them and started repainting them....
Luckily inhadent finished before it was auggested bt arno to strengthen them a bit more in certain areas so they were stripped for the last time and we have started began strengthening them eith gussets etc.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#90 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

We havent yet finished the lower mounts but that will be next.

Have engine resting in place atm just gauging where the coolant hoses and fuel lines etc will be able to run neatly...

This is how its sat atm...

#91 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

Posted ImageURL=http://s1375.photobu...83c38.jpg.html]Posted Image[/URL]URL=http://s1375.photobu...f60f1.jpg.html]Posted Image[/URL]

#92 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

Awesome, can't wait to see this running :jump:

#93 simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

Awesome, can't wait to see this running :jump:

Yeah this ^  thumbsup

#94 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Yep, deffo a big effort conversion, and remarkably fast one so far :)

#95 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks guys, it doesnt seem fast to me nev :/ maybe a bit eager to drive it lol... Long way to go yet :(. Not got much done over the holidays. Nothing atall on the car actually, though we have come up with a basic design for my intake. From when we first trial fitted the engine we realised the standard plenum wasnt going to fit due to the inlet facing directly at the bulkhead. Weve decided that seemings were gojng to have to fabricate one we may aswel go down the dual plenum route. This should prove to be more efficient for a boosted engine. Heres the mockup weve done using sketchup to get the dimensions etc sorted out...well be finalising the design and flowtesting it on solidworks.

#96 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

Posted ImageURL=http://s1375.photobu...1e9a1.jpg.html]Posted Image[/URL]

#97 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

Managed to get a day down the garage this week, so a smalll bit of progress to add...spent most the day nattering and drinking tea as per usual.Posted Image

Made an intercooler mounting plate out of aluminium so thats in place sadly didnt get any pics of this for you guys but I have mounted the intercooler.. tried it in many positions but found this orientation to be the most effective making sure the pipework for it would also have clearence of everything around it.

#98 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

Posted Image

#99 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:04 AM

Back tracking to an earlier job while stripping the rear end down we had a hell of a time removing the lower arms... the ball joints attatching the rear control arms had siezed inside the bushes. Not like usual. However hard we tried to break them free they wouldnt loosen up. after trying everything we could think of we decided to go for the last resort...rather than damage the subframe beyond repair as its seemed so weak in this area, we decided to cut them out. Firstly we cut the ball joints away revealing the small circle tab tacked into place on thelegs of the subframe. This was the next piece to come off revealing the lower arm ear bush.

Posted Image

#100 vxt5

vxt5

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:13 AM

Posted Image next we cut through the bush using a hole saw and out come the siezed threads and inner bush....

Posted Image

This was a last resort for us and dont recommend anyone do it this way if it can be avoided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users