supercharger sc stage 2

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

Saturday's trackday ended with low coolant level. It turned out that the compressor wheel had made a significant hole in the large coolant hose at the top of the engine, toward the right side of the car facing forward. I guess I failed to secure it properly. Anyway, is this a large fix? Looked at the tis, and it mentioned "remove the fuel tank", so I really hope that I was looking at the wrong part. Any help is appreciated! :)

#22 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

Cut it, 90° elbow hose, metal joiners, done.

Otherwise replace for OEM (or that group buy silicone hose) and then you need the access somehwere low behind the fueltank...

#23 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the advice Exmantaa! I will do that, I'm not going to remove the fuel tank if I don't have to :)

#24 teamdefcon

teamdefcon

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

Are you using dutch software?

#25 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

Yes.

#26 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

Saturday's trackday ended with low coolant level. It turned out that the compressor wheel had made a significant hole in the large coolant hose at the top of the engine, toward the right side of the car facing forward. I guess I failed to secure it properly. Anyway, is this a large fix? Looked at the tis, and it mentioned "remove the fuel tank", so I really hope that I was looking at the wrong part. Any help is appreciated! :)

Just check you've put it on the right way. Mine was originally on the wrong way and dropped down on the supercharger like you've mentioned.

#27 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

Do you mean the S-hose? I noticed that it has one end that is longer than the other, but maybe I did it wrong. At least I need to secure it better, as although it's not contact as I've seen, it probably happens with vibrations and/or g-forces during hard corners.

Also, does anyone know where I can get new pulley for the SC? The one I got was damaged when I received it so it will likely cut the belt pretty soon..

#28 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

I've got a spare M62 standard pulley if it's any good to you

#29 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

How large is that?

I'm really not sure how big my pulley is, but I have around 0.7 boost (1.7bar absolute) on WOT at 4-6000 rpm). Which pulley size do I have then? :P

#30 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Standard is 3.35" :)

#31 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Joe! Do I have 3.1 or 3.2? I just love to drive the SC, extremely linear. Unfortunately I am still getting pissed on by 911 GT2s and 991 GT3s ! :P

#32 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:47 AM

You have 3.35" pulley bud Time for more boost. A lot more lol

#33 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:37 AM

Hehe. I think I need some track tires, dampers and serious downforce first. :) For those of you that track your car, which kind of cars are your car comparable with, given similarly good drivers, and which modifications ace you done to your VX/Speedster?

#34 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

3.35 is the pulley I have

#35 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

Good Chill. Lately the belt has started squeaking. I guess the alignment between the SC and the alternator. Is there any way to adjust the axial position of the pulley without changing the position of the SC or inlet manifold on the engine?

#36 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Yes, with a press. (supercharger off)

The pully is a 6 rib, and i asume you use a 5 rib belt. So you could try putting the belt on the inner, or outer 5 ribs to "realling" if that helps.

#37 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

Thanks, I will try to put it on the outer. I think however that it should be closer to the inner one, but it's hard to know when it's perfectly aligned, and especially as I have to be pretty sure before i take the sc out to adjust, and then put back in to try. Any tips? And also, how to get the pulley off/further out, I guess a press would only be able to get it further in.

#38 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hehe. I think I need some track tires, dampers and serious downforce first. :) For those of you that track your car, which kind of cars are your car comparable with, given similarly good drivers, and which modifications ace you done to your VX/Speedster?

If you're on standard Road tyres, brakes and suspension then investment in these can make a bigger difference to lap time than bhp- especially when combined with driver training. An SC VX is a rapid machine. Most comparable in speed to other lightweight cars like a Caterham or Exige as they have high corner speed but less straight line speed compared to some of the heavyweight high bhp monsters. Quicker than a clio, slower than a (well driven) radical.

#39 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the reply, Captain!

I have ContSport 3 tires, but I have 225/245 width on 17"s. I know that I shouldn't start with the engine, but because that was the biggest project I wanted to do that before the spring/summer. II did improve the laptime by 2.5 seconds, and think that I can improve a bit more with better driving as I don't think my driving was as good this time.

I am thinking of R888, Kumho V70A or Federal 595rsr tires, but not sure if I should go for 15 or 17" wheels. What would be best for the optimal grip (laptimes on track).

I'm also not sure on Nitron 46mm dampers or Quantum. I never get wise on this as there are so many opinions regarding bump/rebound length.

Regarding brakes, I have 308mm discs in front and Carbotech XP10 pads front and rear. But I have a huge problem with brake squeal, so much that it is unbearable to brake without using the handbrake or use earplugs. Any suggestions? I will try to machine new adapters in steel, rather than aluminium to see if this helps. I have used XP10 pads on a C6 Corvette and I was extremely happy with them at that time.

#40 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

The best guide to what works on track is probably looking at what Cliffie did for his time attack car (winner in 2012 + 2013) as that had some serious investment and time spent on it by some people that are very used to racing the elise chassis.

Spec is in the for sale thread here (on page 2): http://www.vx220.org...ning-car/page-2

Full build and championship here (a long read - but worth it): http://www.vx220.org...01213-champion/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger, sc, stage 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users