Photo

Possible First Vx 2.4 Harrop 1900 Build

• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#241 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

So that will be a reinforced 86mm bore block then with the cast in liners. For sure you're not going to destroy that with some Darton sleeves?

(I have a Gen 3 LE5 bottom block; 88mm bore; <8K. B) )

It's staying standard(ish) and will probably end up back in an Astra VXR, it's worth too much as a complete A20NFT

Well unless the bottom end gets converted with Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods and a z22se crank :P

No real need for Darton sleeves with a GEN 3 block :D

Edited by vocky, 10 August 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#242 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

Any of you guys have a recommendation on which lsd diff to go for?

#243 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:59 AM

Random one - If I used my existing 2.4 (LE5 Gen 2) block would a A20NxT head / turbo, crank with OEM forged rods, but larger 88m pistons, to achieve an over-square (2.1 or 2.2?) DI turbo engine?

I guess the main issue is getting suitable 88mm DI pistons..

#244 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

I have a spare A20NFT head, inlet manifold, injectors and the full engine loom if you need them ;)

all from a 2014 plate Vauxhall Astra J / gtc VXR /  A20NFT engine  thumbsup 

#245 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

Random one - If I used my existing 2.4 (LE5 Gen 2) block would a A20NxT head / turbo, crank with OEM forged rods, but larger 88m pistons, to achieve an over-square (2.1 or 2.2?) DI turbo engine?

I guess the main issue is getting suitable 88mm DI pistons..

http://zzperformance...nf-pistons.html

And pick the 88mm option..  :happy:   

#246 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

Have you had a chance to really unleash this thing yet?

Congrats on the final result, a most impressive project, now all you need to do it control that right foot and stay alive :)

Edited by Nev, 16 August 2016 - 06:49 AM.

#247 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

Is it true???? 509 hp ?????????

#248 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

I take it the 2.6 pully has arrived :happy:

#249 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

Still on 2.7!

#250 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

Still on the 2.7, had a few issues(self inflicted) with the Aquamist but we've made a few adjustments and things are looking better. Also seem to have lost a bit of BHP after fitting my inner wheel arch.....I suspect this is down to it now having poor airflow over the filter or possibly even restricting the amount of cool air it can draw in. 

Turbo ears are on route and if I have to I will put some exit ducts in the allow air in and out giving cooler air to the filter. I also plan to fit a carbon shield separating the filter from the engine bay. I'm having MaxR's coupe back kit so that should also aid cooling and airflow....may end up moving the filter up behind the air provided by the roof scoop. 

Now also decided to apply a 3rd jet pre supercharger to give better rotor sealing and hopefully a couple more psi in boost. I dont no where this will end up bhp wise but i know i am now really pushing my luck......so, the next motor is already being planned. A - incase this one lets go B - just because 500bhp isnt enough  :huh:

MUST BUY SOME BRAKES!!!......oh and maybe turn the bloody abs off!!!

#251 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

Also seem to have lost a bit of BHP after fitting my inner wheel arch.....I suspect this is down to it now having poor airflow over the filter or possibly even restricting the amount of cool air it can draw in. 

That is very interesting.

Chris_UK has excellent results with his air coming from the roof scoop, while the rest of us is struggeling with the heat building up in the engine bay, nowhere to go. (for those of us without clam cutouts)

Meshing the side wheel arch liner could be worth a try....  

Edited by smiley, 17 August 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#252 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:40 PM

Also seem to have lost a bit of BHP after fitting my inner wheel arch.....I suspect this is down to it now having poor airflow over the filter or possibly even restricting the amount of cool air it can draw in. 

That is very interesting.

Chris_UK has excellent results with his air coming from the roof scoop, while the rest of us is struggeling with the heat building up in the engine bay, nowhere to go.

Meshing the side wheel arch liner could be worth a try....  

When I get round to testing i will try and post some before and after results just simply with the liner in and out. 

#253 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

When I get round to testing i will try and post some before and after results just simply with the liner in and out. 

Thank you. Appreciated chinky chinky  

Edited by smiley, 17 August 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#254 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

Rich,

Mate, it's time to stop looking for more power! It's enough!

Fit some larger underfloor naca ducts & fit a large electric fan to get the hot air out/cold air in. Don't cut out shitty holes everywhere like I & many have. It looks dated & sh*t & it also let's out too much noise. 

...Brakes wold be a good idea. Chris may have a solutions for you. :rolleyes:

#255 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

Rich,   Mate, it's time to stop looking for more power! It's enough!   ..............

Yes, stop it! :-)

#256 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

It's slightly addictive though, I enjoy making hp and finding limits. It's all I've ever done lol. I do agree with you max with regards the holes, the solution will be neat and tidy I can asure you

#257 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Heat is a genuine enemy, you have to evacuate around 370 KW from your engine + exhaust. Just imagine 370 single bar electric fires in your engine bay... A simple solution is to take the floor-pans off, lose 6Kg from the rear of the car and gain abundant turbulence :)

Also, try and give some serious thought to the flow and pressure drop across your air filter. This is real threat to top power, as there is hardly anything you can buy on the market that flow for 500 BHP. I made my own in the end (and increased inlet pipe from 3" to 4") and gained about 60 HP (from memory) just like that. You could try taking off the air filter you have now as an experiment, do a pull and see what gains you make - it might be substantial.

Edited by Nev, 17 August 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#258 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Heat is a genuine enemy, you have to evacuate around 370 KW from your engine + exhaust. Just imagine 370 single bar electric fires in your engine bay... A simple solution is to take the floor-pans off, lose 6Kg from the rear of the car and gain abundant turbulence :)

Also, try and give some serious thought to the flow and pressure drop across your air filter. This is real threat to top power, as there is hardly anything you can buy on the market that flow for 500 BHP. I made my own in the end (and increased inlet pipe from 3" to 4") and gained about 60 HP (from memory) just like that. You could try taking off the air filter you have now as an experiment, do a pull and see what gains you make - it might be substantial.

Thanks Nev, i think i will almost certainly be up against the heat situation especially when trying to keep the rear clam in tact and maintain a 'usable boot space' lol. 

I can imagine as you say the filter along with airflow to it is going to be a crucial part to maintain the top end power when the engine is really wanting to breath hard and fast! 

Plenty to test and be getting on with. New pistons are now confirmed and in the engineering process for the next stage of engine development   

#259 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:51 PM

What's your SCR and boost levels you are using at the moment ?

#260 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

It's 9:1 atm and peak boost is 1.2-1.3 bar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users