• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#201 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

neither hp nor torque will kill the rod in this situation, rpm will. more specifically rpm kills the fasteners, distorts the big end, and fucks your bearings. 86mm stroke and 8000rpm isnt bad, but its about all id throw at ARP2000 3/8" fasteners imho rating an aftermarket rod for HP is complete wankery. the numbers are meaningless. that said, eagle and their various rebrands arent bad, but theyre nothing flash. best to play them on the conservative side (hp thresholds for OEM sintered rods is a slightly different story as the material is so narrowly optimised, the rod will break from torque load well before the fasteners come into play)

Completely agree. The limiter is currently set to 7800. I'm hoping that with further optimization to the map and earlier application of the MW50 ill be able to make a bit more power but then cap the rpm to still give a peak power of around 450bhp. 

Its at this point in the build i really wish id stumped up the extra cost for the Carrillo rods  :beat:

#202 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

neither hp nor torque will kill the rod in this situation, rpm will. more specifically rpm kills the fasteners, distorts the big end, and fucks your bearings. 86mm stroke and 8000rpm isnt bad, but its about all id throw at ARP2000 3/8" fasteners

imho rating an aftermarket rod for HP is complete wankery. the numbers are meaningless. that said, eagle and their various rebrands arent bad, but theyre nothing flash. best to play them on the conservative side

(hp thresholds for OEM sintered rods is a slightly different story as the material is so narrowly optimised, the rod will break from torque load well before the fasteners come into play)

Ehhh, that will be a 94.6mm stroke for his 2.2 crankshaft. :sleep:  (7800 would be my limit...)

#203 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

eeek! ok. thats not good! i thought it was just a overbore/sleeve job (i should probably not skim read) piston speed, even at 7800rpm is going to be kissing 25m/s. Im assuming the rod/stroke ratio is also a little pear-shaped with that stroke and std deck height. honestly, id be slowing things down a little. 7200-7400 will make a huge diffrence in longevity. i know its tempting to push it, as it obviously runs well, but... geeze... those numbers make me a little uneasy (coming from a guy who built a couple of spastic rpm motors a few years ago, and thought he was smarter than physics)

#204 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Piston speed is approaching the accepted limits, but actually the 2.2 (94.6mm crank) has the longest rod of all Ecotecs with the pin high up in the piston, so they did some efforts to get a decent rod ratio; 

a 2.2 has a 146,5mm rod length compared to the 2.0's 145.5mm.

(But then again, there are quite a few 2.2's running with such 7.8K rpm limit on track...)

#205 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

'acceptable' piston speed limits are a little debatable. 25/ms is more to do with fliud dynamics than material properties. either way, 25 is really damn quick not saying it doesnt work! dont get me wrong. i pushed 26 on a destroked thing with lentz rods with CP X forgings (engine turned to 10,600). was a thing to behold at full noise, but yeah, you open a can of worms. rpm kills engines. just my 2c, but unless youre building an engine for regular teardown, id play it more conservative

#206 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

You're a lunatic! Posted on the Dutch forum a question where it all will end (evolutions off HP related speedsters) http://www.speedster...t=6137&start=15 500hp supercharged VX????? Going to be no problem for u! Probably even more..... You're a lunatic! (yes, i know, i typed it twice!) :-) Nice work BTW! Hopefully you will get these kind of power usable/down on the streets..

#207 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:58 PM

Its at this point in the build i really wish id stumped up the extra cost for the Carrillo rods  :beat:

do not worry too much, Carrillo only make 2.0 and 2.4 rods thumbsup

#208 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

I have carrillo rods in the hair dryer :D

#209 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

So I had a new mapping partner for an hr this morning......he wasn't to impressed tbh.....

Posted Image

That said he does seem to be doing pretty well and the results this morning are pushing in the rite direction! Ignition and fuel altered, Zero knock still so maybe room for some more. The other interesting thing id that the MW50 tank ran low last night so I had to top up with just water so the mixture is quite diluted now. Would be great if I could retain these figures on just water at the end. That will be a test for when the map is completed though.

I am getting a little nervous now that soon you may all receive a picture of a pile of engine parts lol. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

#210 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

The inlet temps are now dropping I found this when I dialed the ignition in

#211 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

Bloody hell stop it lol

#212 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Just thought I would share how much further a head this 2.4 is compared to mine 2.2

Cobra = 2.4 stage 3 cams 2.7 pulley
Chill = 2.2 stage 2 zzp cams 3.1 pulley

Posted Image

Ignition levels are currently quite even ( minor differences ) but wonder how much of this is down to water meth

#213 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

fcuking mental difference. Like night and day :lol:

#214 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Anyone got a Saab engine sitting around I can have might ask Vocky to see if he could build me one 🙂 Stage 3 cams pretty wild

Edited by NickB787, 09 August 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#215 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Anyone think 600bhp is possible with custom rods, custom intake manifold and 1900 charger 😏

#216 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

Anyone got a Saab engine sitting around I can have might ask Vocky to see if he could build me one 🙂 Stage 3 cams pretty wild

Get your self a Gen 3 block nick Vocky has one

#217 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Anyone think 600bhp is possible with custom rods, custom intake manifold and 1900 charger 😏

To be quite honest this build has sent all my expectations through the window 

ive said it to you before i think your nutzz

#218 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

I think you will be king of the hill for a while, if you break 500.

#219 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

Been out in chills and it scared the crap out of me so this thing must be mental on road.

#220 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

thumbsup  I think your latest achievements will massively stir the pub talk in the dunes of Zandvoort coming Friday... :happy: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users