Photo

6 Speed 2.2

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

I forgot to update this thread :rolleyes: the conversion went well until the first test drive when the clutch failed as I tried to leave my garage, this turned out to be the uprated clutch cover was a different depth than the standard clutch cover which caused the slave cylinder to 'pop' it's seal :angry2: anyway with the original clutch cover fitted all was well again :D after the first test drive it was apparant the gear lever reverse gate needed further work, so I modified the gearlever to create a push down reverse gate. then I managed to locate a turbo M32 box at the breakers, so I stripped the car once again and the M32 internals were swapped over, now I have a 3.94 final drive ratio B) the kevlar clutch finally decided to 'bed in' and all I can say is :groupjump: 1st gear now = 34mph 2.2 = 36mph vxt = 39 mph 2nd gear now = 60mph 2.2 = 64 mph vxt = 69 mph 3rd gear now = 87mph 2.2 = 95 mph vxt = 104 mph 4th gear now = 121mph 2.2 = 133 mph vxt = 145 mph 5th gear now=147mph 2.2 = 163 mph vxt = 178 mph 6th gear now = 173mph

#42 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

thumbsup Has it made a huge amount of difference to the acceleration/feel of the car? and a better motorway cruising mpg too thumbsup

#43 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

acelleration is superb, I highly recommend lowering the final drive ratio B) these are the max speeds for a F23 with the 4.17 fd ratio, as you can see 1st and 2nd are the same but the other gears are better with the M32 :D 1- 34 2- 60 3- 90 4- 126 5- 155

Edited by vocky, 04 February 2008 - 02:44 PM.

#44 wirestriker

wirestriker

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Hello Vocky, very nice job :o I found a perfect M32 box for my VXT, it comes from a Z20LER Astra H, with perfect ratios: 3.94 FD, so 6th will be just a little bit shorther than my F23 5th :). I read you changed driveshafts and gearbox mounts on your 2.2, do you think these parts are needed even for a VXT? I searched a lot but I cannot find the answer. Thanks a lot

#45 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

B*gger, so that's something else for next year's mods list!! Nice job! thumbsup Imnotworthy

#46 MEAGY

MEAGY

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hello Vocky, very nice job :o

I found a perfect M32 box for my VXT, it comes from a Z20LER Astra H, with perfect ratios: 3.94 FD, so 6th will be just a little bit shorther than my F23 5th :).

I read you changed driveshafts and gearbox mounts on your 2.2, do you think these parts are needed even for a VXT?
I searched a lot but I cannot find the answer.
Thanks a lot

you need to do & use everything that vocky has done! thumbsup

#47 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:32 PM

the 2.2 and turbo vx220's share the same drivetrain (apart from the diff) so the conversion is the same. as you are starting off with an astra M32 it will have the correct passenger (alloy) gearbox mounting bracket fitted, if not they are only £22 new from the vauxhall dealer. The passenger mount is in two halves, one half is alloy (vauxhall M32) and the other half is metal (lotus europa S). you will need a pair of 2007> lotus europa S driveshafts, passenger gearbox mount (metal) and rear gearbox mount (alloy). These cost £680 inc vat. I would advise to fit the dual mass flywheel to your vxT, this sorts the clutch. You could use the standard vxT flywheel and fit the M32 clutch plate (with a spacer on the slave cylinder) but your gearbox will have a shortened lifespan due to the extra vibrations caused by using an 'unsprung' clutch plate. I would also advise using the 2007> lotus europa S gear lever assembly (£500 + vat) this has the pivot assembly built in so would be a direct swap, then use the vx220 cables. I have since modified the gearlever to create a 'shortshift', this makes the gearchange feel much better rallly

#48 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

I have since modified the gearlever to create a 'shortshift', this makes the gearchange feel much better rallly

any pictures on that vocky and what did you do thumbsup

#49 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:36 PM

if you cut off the lug holding the cable ball joint and weld it higher up the lever the 'throw' is reduced. only downside is if you weld it too high you will have to trim the centre console or the gear cable will hit the console :rolleyes:

#50 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

if you cut off the lug holding the cable ball joint and weld it higher up the lever the 'throw' is reduced.

only downside is if you weld it too high you will have to trim the centre console or the gear cable will hit the console :rolleyes:

so how much do you move it up ?to be on the safe side vocky
Posted Image

thanks thumbsup

Edited by crazyfrog, 20 March 2008 - 07:53 PM.

#51 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image

Edited by crazyfrog, 20 March 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#52 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

I fitted a new shorter lug, with a new ball joint, above the original, this caused the cable problem. That was simply fixed with a larger cut out and a new leather gaiter. so I would say no more than 5-8mm higher and make the lug shorter too, you can adjust the cable length to retain the central lever position.

#53 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

Vocky, It sounds like you're doing full open heart surgery on your gearbox, top stuff! I'm just replacing my na gearbox with a Zafira's 4.17 gearbox which should be done within a couple of weeks, so nothing fancy. What oil will you be using in the box? Also my linkage gets stiff when the engine is hot, my exhaust is wrapped too. New cables are £400 for a pair. Is it possible to lubricate the existing ones properly or is there a cheaper fix? MAXR

#54 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

I always use the £15 a litre vauxhall transmission fluid, it used to be a red coloured oil but is now clear. If your linkage cables have melted internally then there is little you can do to repair them, maybe a silicone oil/grease :unsure: I would personally buy a pair from a 'breakers/salvage company' as they would be quite cheap compared with the new price.

#55 wirestriker

wirestriker

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for replying Vocky, all is clear now. Maybe Europa's driveshafts are the same of other VX's? You know, finding them in a scrappy will be cheaper... ;)

#56 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:42 AM

the driveshafts are M32 six speed only :rolleyes:

the M32 diff is slightly nearer the lefthand wheel so that shaft is shorter and the other shaft longer thumbsup

this is how my gearlever looks now

Posted Image

#57 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Cool! Well done vocky! Be interesting to see if the gearbox and clutch mod combined with the balance shafts removal has any long term effect. What are the vibration levels like? Any differences with the new box and clutch? thumbsup Steve

#58 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Vocky can you please stop mod'in your gonna cost us a small fortune !!! Imnotworthy Imnotworthy Imnotworthy Imnotworthy

#59 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

too many beers voky i am not a mechanics but a business man well done and hope i can see you one day and meet you did a good mod today and honestly i am pretty chav :rolleyes: :rolleyes: specially when its not my field keep on the good work and we all trying to digest your so cool nonsense(of course to us) got up at 7.00 am this morning to do my car and it was good now 1 pm and just finnish had a good business wise but need a holiday lol chinky chinky

#60 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

Cool! Well done vocky!

Be interesting to see if the gearbox and clutch mod combined with the balance shafts removal has any long term effect.
What are the vibration levels like? Any differences with the new box and clutch?

thumbsup
Steve

balancer shafts - there is a guy in the usa who has done over 50,000 miles without balancer shafts, no issues Imnotworthy

6 speed gearbox - I used a 'sprung' clutch plate from a honda crx, so will have no issues with vibration damaging the gearbox :D

vibration - I have fitted both F+R uprated engine mounts so have the minor vibration at tickover which every vx220 has when these mounts are fitted :rolleyes:

the only downside to the 6 speed conversion was bedding in the kevlar clutch, being unable to unleash the engines power was depressing to say the least :beat:

At my Total Vauxhall photoshoot they noticed the engines quick throttle response without me even mentioning it, I'm just waiting for my underdrive crank pulley to arrive from the states so I can also fit the lightened alternator pulley I have, they should help the quick throttle response some more :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users