70 replies to this topic

#41 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

I cancelled the ad weeks a go. After several bottles of wine I decided that selling it was a bad idea.

#42 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

How you finding the SC version of the vx And which is better

#43 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

I miss the flames that shot out of the back of my turbo. The SC is the better car but I'm not sure if that is enough to put it above the turbo. I know this seems childish but flames coming out the back of a fast car can only be good.

#44 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

Take the cat off and you'll probably get flames a-plenty!

#45 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

I thought that but when I removed both cats u still only rarely get flames It's all about the map and changing the ignition timing Once u do that u get flames and pops all the time :)

#46 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

I know that removing the cats will give more power, fire and brimstone but I'd imagine that the car would also need to be remapped and need a decat pipe.

The car runs perfectly in it's current configuration, I've done 2 track days and the engine oil still has a golden tinge to it. This is a good indicator that all is well with the engine so I don't want to risk upsetting it. Also quite handy that it is MOT friendly with the cat fitted.

The popping and banging will be missed but the more I drive the SC the more I appreciate the fact that it is a better driving experience.

#47 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Dutch software seems to include a flame parameter :)

#48 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

The popping and banging will be missed but the more I drive the SC the more I appreciate the fact that it is a better driving experience.

I'm not just saying this as a turbo owner but . . . Full of sh*t!! Pete i met you once at Oulton and to be fair you bought the worst example of a turbo I know. How do you think a 260bhp SC is better than a 260bhp turbo? I half get it if you love spunking money away but if you care about performance and £ theres only one winner!? SC half makes sense on big power but then you compete with noise. If you want to get on track past 400bhp you best go turbo!

#49 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:03 AM

I'm not just saying this as a turbo owner but . . . Full of sh*t!! Pete i met you once at Oulton and to be fair you bought the worst example of a turbo I know. How do you think a 260bhp SC is better than a 260bhp turbo? I half get it if you love spunking money away but if you care about performance and £ theres only one winner!? SC half makes sense on big power but then you compete with noise. If you want to get on track past 400bhp you best go turbo!

Surely personal preference comes into it. And that's it really.

#50 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

How do you think a 260bhp SC is better than a 260bhp turbo?

:yeahthat:

Here is a vid of me and Cliffie at the Anglesey National, me in a 260bhp turbo, Mike in a 260bhp SC. At some points I had to back off and at other points if it weren't for traffic he would have left me. Over the course of the session there was nothing in it, he could apply power earlier in the corners but my extra torque would reel it back it on the exit phase.

I will say this though, a 300bhp turbo (LET) requires a lot more skill to drive quickly than a 300bhp SC due to the power delivery (yes I have driven both :) )

#51 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

I will say this though, a 300bhp turbo (LET) requires a lot more skill to drive quickly than a 300bhp SC due to the power delivery (yes I have driven both :) )

Last year I finally gave in to the offers and drove a stage 2 SC vx and was blown away with how easy it was to drive on track. TBH I preferred its power delivery as it's less spikey but as Steve said its swings and roundabouts, once you can get fully on the power in a turbo it starts to make up what it lost on part throttle. I would say that if the power deliver was sorted so you could easily hold part boost levels as I think George has done, it would a different story. The dream would be 300+hp, normally aspirated :wub:

#52 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

I've driven George's car and was very surprised how good the delivery was we are both running similar power in our cars and never noticed this spikey power delivery so maybe george has got it sorted One thing I did notice was going from a 7500 rpm SC to a less than 7000 rpm turbo was a pain with the limiter not helped by the close ratio box george runs, George's car is setup extremely well and made my car look like a boat at croft early last year, which wasn't helped by me having no brakes, Gorge actually described it as lethal !! But I noticed george didn't use the Rev range which is required in a SC car ( might be because brakes were shite at the time and wasent confidence building ) Conclusion for me is they are chalk and cheese Here George's attempt to drive my un-drivable SC

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 12 February 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#53 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

Last year I finally gave in to the offers and drove a stage 2 SC vx and was blown away with how easy it was to drive on track. TBH I preferred its power delivery as it's less spikey but as Steve said its swings and roundabouts, once you can get fully on the power in a turbo it starts to make up what it lost on part throttle. I would say that if the power deliver was sorted so you could easily hold part boost levels as I think George has done, it would a different story. The dream would be 300+hp, normally aspirated :wub:

My stage 2 doesn't feel spikey to me on part throttle but then I don't know any better!

At stage 2 over the course of a lap with similar setup cars I'd say theres very little in it between an SC and a tubby.

The fact that I am no stig and can be competitive with better drivers in SCs must mean the car aint too bad  :D

#54 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

My stage 2 doesn't feel spikey to me on part throttle but then I don't know any better!

At stage 2 over the course of a lap with similar setup cars I'd say theres very little in it between an SC and a tubby.

The fact that I am no stig and can be competitive with better drivers in SCs must mean the car aint too bad  :D

You almost kept up with an NA at Pembrey as well  :D  :P

#55 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

I've driven George's car and was very surprised how good the delivery was we are both running similar power in our cars and never noticed this spikey power delivery so maybe george has got it sorted One thing I did notice was going from a 7500 rpm SC to a less than 7000 rpm turbo was a pain with the limiter not helped by the close ratio box george runs, George's car is setup extremely well and made my car look like a boat at croft early last year, which wasn't helped by me having no brakes, Gorge actually described it as lethal !! But I noticed george didn't use the Rev range which is required in a SC car ( might be because brakes were shite at the time and wasent confidence building ) Conclusion for me is they are chalk and cheese Here George's attempt to drive my un-drivable SC

George drove your SC like a turbo, short shifting. And he span cos he piled into the bend under braking going straight from 5th to 2nd instead of bringing the revs down through the gears. Rears locked up when let the clutch out and he span.

#56 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

I'm not just saying this as a turbo owner but . . . Full of sh*t!! Pete i met you once at Oulton and to be fair you bought the worst example of a turbo I know. How do you think a 260bhp SC is better than a 260bhp turbo?

I half get it if you love spunking money away but if you care about performance and £ theres only one winner!? SC half makes sense on big power but then you compete with noise. If you want to get on track past 400bhp you best go turbo!

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;]Christ George, full of sh*t am I? I didn't realise you were so precious!!!![/color]

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;] [/color]

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;]I'd literally just bought that car when you saw it at Oulton, yes it was a bit of a shed. I seem to remember it blowing a turbo hose on the track after 3 laps. Since then it had a complete suspension rebuild including a new set of Quantums. Most of the engine ancillaries were replaced and it had work done to the brakes. From a cosmetic point of view it also had a full respray. For the last year that I owned that car it was a great example of a turbo. It did let me down at Donington I'll admit. Thinking back I had a geo carried out just before Donington, my suspicion is that this was the cause of the handling issues I experienced there and at Anglesey a few months later.[/color]

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;]Ladies and gentlemen remember three things:[/color]

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;]1, The SC that I own now has a completely different suspension and brake set to my old turbo[/color]

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;]2, I'm entitled to an opinion as much as any one else but remember, it is only my opinion[/color]

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;]3. We are talking about cars here, is it really worth falling out with people over an inanimate object.[/color]

[color=#222222;font-size:10pt;]Chill out VX220.org , just enjoy these little cars for what they are.[/color]

#57 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

Having recently going out in a stage 2 supercharge (MartinS) I was impressed how smooth the power delivery was, very nice for track but feels less torquey compared to the stage 2 turbo With turbo's I must say they are a less smooth but the map impacts this a lot I have recently changed my map for a custom one and the power delivery is much smoother where as they previous map was just bang boost so you get the rush which feels good but not the best Now I can increase the boost and power much much smoother. I noticed that when they mapped it too you can set the pedal again power delivery and mine (previously) was set to something like full throttle on 30% which is why I just had no boost then bang 15psi! now it much smoother and easier to drive :)

#58 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

I love a good SC vs turbo debate but can I suggest that NA is actually the better choice: VX220 National 2014 - Croft Circuit - Pre-lunch session: P.s. I may not actually agree with my statement above... All vx's are great :)

#59 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

Was good to see you again today Pete, car looked to be going well!   First time at Donny for myself today, what a great track....if not a little frosty this morning which kept things entertaining even for us Scots who man the trip down.  

It took me 45 minutes to get to Donny, I bet you were knackered before you even got there!   Yeh, good seeing you too. I didn't see much of your car on track but your mates Evora was very nice indeed.   I took it very easy to be honest, tried to focus on getting my lines right and keeping it neat. Here is a vid:   https://www.facebook...205784090307303
Looks like you were going well at Donington. Are you running an open air filter on the sc? Donington are pretty strict with noise did you have any issues with noise?

#60 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

You almost kept up with an NA at Pembrey as well  :D  :P

Correct. A nutter well driven NA is indeed faster than a miss daisy driven turbo  thumbsup

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, donington

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users