Winter Hobbies

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#141 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

but somehow a chicken being killed for humans is a sick thought??

Only to some, most if not all these farm yard animals would not exist if we did not eat them as they have been bred over generations for their meat bearing quailties. Having worked on a cattle farm for 4 years (in my student days) when we sent the cattle off to slaughter I did not feel sick in anyway.

Better not talk about our leather seats either :rolleyes:

#142 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

its a bit different to shooting animals for "fun" though isnt it?

#143 Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Honey

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

:yeahthat: Which was my/our original point waaaaaaaaaaay back (yawn!) Perhaps its better to lay this one to rest now :grouphug:

#144 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

Let's keep this on topic, eh? Rather than going round in circles on what is a very emotive subject, clearly. This is about winter hobbies, not the rights and wrongs of certain pursuits. Am getting quite close to locking this thread.

#145 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

its a bit different to shooting animals for "fun" though isnt it?

Depends if you use your leather seats for fun.

We all kill animals / plants at some stage, do we care about the fly whose ass went through its head on our windscreen - no. As humans we tend to see some things as cute and cuddly and others as ugly. If someone posted I kill spiders for fun would there be a hugh out cry I doubt it. Most people who see these animals as cute have never been in a field with them, a field of cows is not cute and cuddly and if they could kill / eat you they would.

Edit -

Ok back on topic I fly my power kite but thats an all year round thing, just more wind in winter.

Edited by Craig S, 30 September 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#146 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

:huh: It's a thread in 'Off topic Chat'. Why does it need to be locked because it's gone 'off topic'? I'm sure wrightster isn't going to top himself; and if it irked him - I'm sure he'd have said something by now. The original topic of winter hobbies wasn't seeking to change the world - so it's not like we've prevented some life-changing subject from being discussed. No-one's been personal, personally insulted, called names, or been sworn at - we're having a healthy - albeit emotive - debate. If it doesn't interest people, then they don't need to read it. If you're going to lock this - then why not lock the 85 page long drivel thread that is 'Purpose of this room' as well :rolleyes: That really has gone off topic... Edit: smiley in the wrong place. So, back to snogging those 18 year old boys...

Edited by Yellow_or_black?, 30 September 2008 - 03:02 PM.

#147 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

:yeahthat:
Which was my/our original point waaaaaaaaaaay back (yawn!)

Perhaps its better to lay this one to rest now :grouphug:

agreed thumbsup

#148 MaDFreeBiRD

MaDFreeBiRD

VX gone :( 350Z replacement :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

H how very dare you bring the three muskateers adopted rambling thread into this :D I stayed out of here but this.....this has just gone beyond :lol: hahaha :P

#149 chuno

chuno

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football (playing and watching)

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Winter hobbies? One of mine will be racing this winter - but of the 10/th Radio controlled variety - and the odd track day of course :)

#150 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

I was waiting for you :D I think that thread's funny - doesn't bother me. Doesn't interest me really either - so I just don't read it thumbsup

#151 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

there's cut throats and electric shock treatment available for anyone that wishes to have a reality check.

Scott.

This preoccupation with and unneccessary reference to violence that bears no relevance to the topic is certainly an indication some form of imbalance IMO. :rolleyes:

btw, it is entirely relevent to the topic. pigs die by having their throats cut. chickens are shocked to death etc. to think that there's some unviolent way in which the food reaches you in a plastic tray is just absurd. I don't think your experience in the field is at all relevant to humans sourcing food. If a fox kills a bird its 'just nature's way'

but somehow a chicken being killed for humans is a sick thought??

come on.

I think if you read the thread carefully, what I personally am discussing is the shooting of animals/birds as a sport. I have simply raised issue about the use of guns that are not adequate to for purpose, and also the reality of killing animals as a sport in general.

The fact that animals are killed for food is a separate issue; not under discussion here by me. You have no idea 'what reaches me' and so to comment in ignorance about things of which you have no knowledge. This indicates to me a certain lack of understanding. If you speak of things of which you know nothing inevitably, as proven, you will be speaking through your rectum. That said, you do seem to have some difficulty in collating the facts and presenting coherent arguments.

Furthermore, nowhere have I said that a chicken killed for humans is a 'sick thought', neither have I mentioned, cutting pig’s throats, shocking to death, electric shock treatment. As far as I can see, a fox killing a bird is not relevant to the inadequacy of an air rifle as a killing weapon. As for 'just nature's way', I wasn't aware that 'nature' had an existence in and of itself in order to have a 'way', and for you to imagine that such a vague anthropomorphic statement in some way carries a force of argument does I'm afraid indicate to me a certain intellectual weakness on your part. :blink:

#152 MaDFreeBiRD

MaDFreeBiRD

VX gone :( 350Z replacement :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

I was waiting for you :D I think that thread's funny - doesn't bother me. Doesn't interest me really either - so I just don't read it thumbsup

Well i can give you todays rundown if you wish :lol:

Its not all rambling; today we have arranged me to help James do his engine mounts this eve and i ordered some bits and bobs from autovaux.

As for the reason of the thread, well i will continue to skateboard when one can and possibly go and dig down the trails (thats more of a spring kind of thing though, getting them ready for the summer)

Skiing in Colorado again if i can make it too - Skiiing is immense and CO is pretty much the best place in the world

#153 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• 13,881 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

:huh: It's a thread in 'Off topic Chat'. Why does it need to be locked because it's gone 'off topic'? I'm sure wrightster isn't going to top himself; and if it irked him - I'm sure he'd have said something by now. The original topic of winter hobbies wasn't seeking to change the world - so it's not like we've prevented some life-changing subject from being discussed. No-one's been personal, personally insulted, called names, or been sworn at - we're having a healthy - albeit emotive - debate. If it doesn't interest people, then they don't need to read it.

If you're going to lock this - then why not lock the 85 page long drivel thread that is 'Purpose of this room' as well :rolleyes: That really has gone off topic...

Edit: smiley in the wrong place. So, back to snogging those 18 year old boys...

I won't be locking it because it's gone 'off topic'. I'm going on experience of the fact that these things tend to descend into personal insults (you are correct, no one has been insulted as yet) and will go around in circles until everyone agrees to disagree (which some people simply won't do). Until then it remains open...

#154 Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

.....and will go around in circles until everyone agrees to disagree (which some people simply won't do).

I think a duel, pistols at dawn, would be more appropriate (for those who won't agree to disagree) :ninja:

#155 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• 13,881 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

Scissors-paper-stone is the only way to resolve things like this. :P

#156 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

Better not talk about our leather seats either :rolleyes:

hmmmmm many a dinosaur died for these badboys :D (for those less sharp... thats in reference to them being some synthetic grade of gypsy leather)

H where can one find these 18yr old boys to snog?

#157 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

PM me your requirements, and I'll keep a look out. Alternatively, Freshers Ball is next week - black tie, should be good for a few thumbsup

#158 jakepeg

jakepeg

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:ALL SPORT
    Oh and now electric guitars and lots of noise

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

PM me your requirements, and I'll keep a look out. Alternatively, Freshers Ball is next week - black tie, should be good for a few thumbsup

Used up the 12 yr olds and gone onto their older brothers! :D

#159 Elaine

Elaine

S4s Esprit.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guns, Keeping fit & healthy eating (Taking note of the Chapman theory).

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Obviously UK law sees that air rifles are fit for shooting the pests on the list, or it would have been banned. End of.

Still shocked at Oblomov's (now deleted) graphic posting of shooting someone in the face.................. I work alongside many ex, and current armed forces personnel, and have never heard ANY of them talk about that side of their work so overtly, never mind typing it on a public forum!

On a lighter note:-

Penny, re the Shewee. The lads I work with told me about it. I haven't got one, but wouldn't mind a go. B) Anyone for a group buy? :D

Other things I'll be doing include standing in supermarkets for hours on end collecting for the Poppy Appeal, as well as continuing my work with the Royal British Legion as a Case Worker. thumbsup

E. Very busy. :)

#160 Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

Penny, re the Shewee. The lads I work with told me about it. I haven't got one, but wouldn't mind a go. B) Anyone for a group buy? :D

...I suppose it might catch on as a new winter hobby :lol: thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users