• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 moospeed

moospeed

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Sorry for asking a divvy question but do you remove the bootlid and cut away all the other fibreglass on the inside edge of the buttresses? I take it you sacrifice the use of a sealed boot with this? Looking forward to seeing it finished. Just wondering, how come I've seen criticism on here over those arch extensions (think they're German maybe) and yet there seems to be quite a 'love in' for this dramatic change? Personally I'm not a huuuuge fan of the styling of the VX* but I've yet to see any body mods that improve it all that much. *obviously I like it enough to be seen in one, if they didn't drive so well or if I could afford a classic Italian then I'd be in one of those *I wasn't a huge fan of my elises styling either *yes, I am extremely critical and hard to please

#22 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'm guessing it depends whether you are installing it purely for cosmetics - if so I don't see any reason why you couldn't retain the full boot lid and have the new coupe back as a cosmetic bolt on.

#23 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

You can run it purely for cosmetic reasons but that would be missing the point of it completely. It is all about Aero. The rear end of the VX is not very efficient at generating downforce and the boot area is an area of low pressure; this coupe back drags the air across the back of the car cleanly and makes rear wings work. You can hack the inner buttresses away and lose the centre brace but you will make the rear clam much weaker.

#24 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

My plan... Is to chop my boot lid in half and bond that to the coupe back so i will retain the sealed boot and the pop mechanism. Im hinging the coupe so i can Add in a boot strut and when i open my two aero catches i pop my boot i can open it and it can stay open. I could cut the boot and put a sperate hinge on the boot part so there are two opening parts but not sure how well it would seal.

#25 moospeed

moospeed

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Right, makes sense, cheers :)

#26 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

My plan... Is to chop my boot lid in half and bond that to the coupe back so i will retain the sealed boot and the pop mechanism.

Im hinging the coupe so i can Add in a boot strut and when i open my two aero catches i pop my boot i can open it and it can stay open.

I could cut the boot and put a sperate hinge on the boot part so there are two opening parts but not sure how well it would seal.

How are you planning to hinge the coupe? Surely any hinge action and it would hit / catch the hardtop / roll bar?

Best solution I've seen was on the white 'Sexige ' that had catches on a cutdown bootlid, retaining normal access to boot but not sure how the rear couple section was fastened down

#27 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

if i get it to work, ill let you know.

#28 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Looking very good Chris! Another question, also to Cliffie or anyone else with the coupe rear. What do you do with the rear screen?

#30 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Looking very good Chris!

Another question, also to Cliffie or anyone else with the coupe rear. What do you do with the rear screen?

Fairly redundant view but kept for sound I guess.

#31 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Leave it in, if you've got any sense. Otherwise make a complete new bulkhead like Lee did.

#32 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thats what I was wondering. Guess polycarb if you want to loose a tiny amount of weight. Was more thinking would people be inclined to black them out? The view through the slats is useless anyway... Actually with the coupe rear does it transmit more engine noise into the cabin?

#33 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

God...you don't hang around. That will be finished in no time. Looking forward to the end results.

#34 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I've been out in an Audi'd S1 Exige with a full aluminium bulkhead and just the 30 miles into Cambridge were more than enough to convince me I'd want something thicker or more absorbent. Just seemed to act more like a loudspeaker and would amplify any noise from the engine side as it reverberated.

#35 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

the back of the hardtop you see there is going to be extended, so rather the lip being on the coupe back and having to slide under the hardtop im going to do it the other way. make that lip sit on top of the already existing foam seal you can see there and put a length of soft rubber seal along it (still looking for the best seal) then when the coupe sits ontop of that lip its pulled down and held into place by the aero catches (this is why they are so close to the edge, to get maximum effect) all i have to do to lift it up is undo the catches, pop the boot lock and lift, the boot strut will hold the coupe part open, to shut, pull it down and clip it into boot lock then hold each side down whilst locking the aero catches.. as for sealing the rear of the coupe part, just some sticky back rubber foam (the waterproof type) should be enough to stop water coming in, i will put it all around the bottom of the coupe bit so it all stays sealed.. thats the plan anyway as for the window, im going to cover the engine side in some spare carbon vinyl i have, on the inside im going to cover it in fabric along with the roof.

Edited by chris_uk, 01 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#36 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

ive cut the lip of both sides which slide under the hardtop

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is how i would want it to stay when its open.

Posted Image

#37 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have kept the rear window so mine is reversible. I use a poly window as mine had to be cut down to clear the beefier roll cage.

#38 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Any more ideas mate I will be doing some more to mine this weekend ?

#39 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

me n dad just had a brain storm session, and hopefully i should be able to make it all waterproof aswell.. only thing i need to work out is how im going to attach the boot catch to the underside of the coupe.. got a couple simple ideas but nothing exciting.

#40 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

ive cut the lip of both sides which slide under the hardtop

Fecking brilliant.
I asume the hinge part can be put between the hardtop and the coupe?
If you also can get the lock part fixed, it's all spot on.
All locked and safe, and fully reversable on resale.

I so regret not stepping into this GB now :(

Edited by smiley, 01 March 2013 - 10:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coupe conversion, coupe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users