But, but, but..........will there be more? :wub:

#62 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

I think to be a truly successful a popular mod, it needs to be a working hatch, which locates on the original fixings with no cutting, chopping or modification of clams, roll bar covers or anything. I wanted one so I could do that and then give it back to Jimmy to sort more out if he wanted. But I baulked at the outlay :(

#63 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

But, but, but..........will there be more? :wub:

Hopefully not.

#64 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think to be a truly successful a popular mod, it needs to be a working hatch, which locates on the original fixings with no cutting, chopping or modification of clams, roll bar covers or anything. I wanted one so I could do that and then give it back to Jimmy to sort more out if he wanted. But I baulked at the outlay :(

This is what I aimed for but it is not possible to achieve. Having measured a few rear clams and roll bar covers I found that they were not dimensionally consistent which makes the whole process really tough, for example mine fits nicely across the buttresses on one clam but protrudes beyond them on another. My plan was to bolt hinges in with the roll bar bolts but again inconsistencies here mean I've had to glass brackets inside the roll bar cover. Doing it this way means that the roll bar may have to be adjusted so the cover fits perfectly allowing for alignment of the hinge bracket to the latch. Its a can of worms! Best I could hope for would be to make it as a 'kit' where people have to sand the edges, glass in the hinge brackets and adjust their roll bar so it all fits together right. Its a lot of work and will work out to be quite pricey :(

#65 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

This is what I aimed for but it is not possible to achieve. Having measured a few rear clams and roll bar covers I found that they were not dimensionally consistent which makes the whole process really tough, for example mine fits nicely across the buttresses on one clam but protrudes beyond them on another. My plan was to bolt hinges in with the roll bar bolts but again inconsistencies here mean I've had to glass brackets inside the roll bar cover. Doing it this way means that the roll bar may have to be adjusted so the cover fits perfectly allowing for alignment of the hinge bracket to the latch. Its a can of worms! Best I could hope for would be to make it as a 'kit' where people have to sand the edges, glass in the hinge brackets and adjust their roll bar so it all fits together right. Its a lot of work and will work out to be quite pricey :(

I was thinking that it would replace the roll bar cover but be of same desing on the leading edge (for soft top etc). In order to be consistant in fitting it would rely on fixings on the roll bar itself, not variables on the clams. The coupe rear would then be ajustable agains the new roll bar cover and the roll bar cover adjustable againt the clam/roll bar fixings giving you maximum movement to suceed in alignment. The basic outside form size of the clams has to be pretty much identical right? Just the fixing points are liable to be spaced differently depending on which person put them together in the factory/afterwards.

#66 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

The two clams (both NA) I have are 5mm different between the outer edge of the butress when measured at the bottom of the roll bar cover. :( You would have to mould to the smallest one as it'd be better to have the coupe edges inside that line than on the outside. You are right though, binning off the OE roll bar cover would save you that part of the fitting issue and that is a biiiig part.

#67 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#68 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Chris can't you make some small brackets its a bit severe having aluminium box section right across the rear window you been to b&q ;-)

#69 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

it wouldnt be strong enough, it flexes like fook as it is.. plus i dont need the rear window as i cant see out of it anyway.

#70 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Good effort Chris, looks like lots of work and effort going into it :)

#71 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

i only got one side done tonight as i was dropping bolts and nuts everywhere and was getting pissed off, marked up a hole wrong and only noticed after i drilled the clam which pissed me off, so i just got one side finished then dropped tools and scampered off inside. feeling the need to return outside tho and finish but its warm in here, lol plus i cant really do much more than install the other aerocatch as im waiting on loads coming through the letterbox.

#72 frosty

frosty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Interests:vx and motorbikes ie racing and streetfighters

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

fcuk me not as easy as I thought ,going to look in to this a bit more me thinks

#73 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

fcuk me not as easy as I thought ,going to look in to this a bit more me thinks

Nothing ever is on a VX apart from the cosmetic stuff

#74 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Keep it up Chris like the new look signature too

#75 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Apologies for the dumb question but what are the 4 long bolts through the roof for? Just holding the 2 skins together?

#76 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

yep. im going to hold them in place like this for when i glue them together

#77 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

looks good! I like the work that going into this :D

#78 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

All my bits arrived today so i can get cracken on tonight. Im hoping to have the other aero catch done, coupe to hardtop gap straightened out and made more even, put the first layer pf fibreglass on the hardtop and tigerseal the seal down for the coupe.

#79 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

the coupe back is pretty much sorted now, just need to be wrapped and some seals putting on underneath then its done.

the roof needs to titivating to get right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

full pic of the bar (not sure i like this but for now it will do

Posted Image

with the roof i need to just alter how far back the flat sits so im going to try make something up here which goes along the front just like the sides.. hopefully it will work but ive no idea lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

#80 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

inside is a bit of a mess.

Posted Image

new winglets for the spoiler, just testing this design to see if i like it

Posted Image