• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Yello

Yello

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

This sounds great Jon chinky chinky
One little question, since I don`t live in UK, is it possible to ship the ECU to you and get the base map,
and buy injectors and map sensor from you. Then get a fine tune on the Dyno at a later occasion?

Yes we can do that, but you must have it checked for AFR etc on a Rolling Road lacally before you go mad with it, just to be safe thumbsup

Jon

Sounds perfect Jon, I have a permanently installed wideband lambda and access to a rolling road so that won`t be a problem, I will contact you direct when I start with my installation. Will keep the car up and running as it is during the summer....
By the way, which compression ratio are you running on this setup?

#42 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

I put mine in for a stage 2 supercharger conversion about two and a half weeks ago and I collected it on Wednesday evening, The difference to previous conversions though was that mine was not fitted with the piggy back ECU nor was the compression ratio lowered, hence no need for a spacer plate therefore no requirement to remove the head. It is only running with a standard fuel rail with 4 tubby injectors. The Standard ECU was remapped by Courtenay's giving a nice strong set of figures but more importantly a very fast drivable car. This is the first of it's type in the UK but there are 5 or 6 in Germany in this configuration.

H

So... Standard 2,2 compression.. chinky chinky

See: http://www.vx220.org...s...40&start=40

Edited by Exmantaa, 10 July 2008 - 08:32 PM.

#43 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

damn, how did I miss this thread.. Any news on how much the extra pulley + belt set up is from courtenay? I think I feel the need to phone them tomorrow :rolleyes:

#44 Shamone

Shamone

• PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Cars-VX220- Focus ST-Mini Cooper S - Bikes-Honda Hornet - Skiing

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

OK as someone has started the thread again, you cannot blame me :) Taking mine to Courtney's on Saturday for the upgrade. Now £4995 Larini are not yet sure whether they can make a quieter exhaust suitable for track days in time, so I may be having the Miltek. Shame as I was hoping for the more free flowing design of the Larini. Now better start looking at insurance. The car's in my wife name and she insured it on a dual policy with her Mini Cooper S, but Admiral said no way to the mod. Anyone know if we can insure the VX separately, but still get NCB? Cheers Simon

Edited by Shamone, 31 July 2008 - 05:31 PM.

#45 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

try for a quote with Competition Car Insurance (CCI), very nice and understanding people :)

#46 Retset

Retset

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

:yeahthat: Just changed to them from Elephant. Got a nice pro-rate refund from Elephant and a Proof of max NCB ... gifted to me only 7 months ago based on my BMW policy thumbsup :D

#47 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

have spoken to jon, looks like it could go ahead... I'm just making sure I've done my sums properly. question regarding the charge cooler water radiator... There are expensive ones around (proalloy etc), do these give a big advantage? or could I use a run of the mill water radiator (and make my own brackets), the price of one of these just seems silly....

#48 thelynxeffect

thelynxeffect

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

have spoken to jon, looks like it could go ahead... I'm just making sure I've done my sums properly.

question regarding the charge cooler water radiator...
There are expensive ones around (proalloy etc), do these give a big advantage? or could I use a run of the mill water radiator (and make my own brackets), the price of one of these just seems silly....

you can either go for a huge one that is the same as the main Rad and sit's under it, made by pro-alloy or like me you can opt for a slightly smaller on which sits right behind the numberplate and looks well smart. (it's also and alloy one).

Dunno about the price mind, have a look on the Earls website, the have been making them for years, had loads on my Hillclimbers.

#49 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

have spoken to jon, looks like it could go ahead... I'm just making sure I've done my sums properly.

There are expensive ones around (proalloy etc), do these give a big advantage? or could I use a run of the mill water radiator (and make my own brackets), the price of one of these just seems silly....

you can either go for a huge one that is the same as the main Rad and sit's under it, made by pro-alloy or like me you can opt for a slightly smaller on which sits right behind the numberplate and looks well smart. (it's also and alloy one).

Dunno about the price mind, have a look on the Earls website, the have been making them for years, had loads on my Hillclimbers.

So these SC conversions run the IC watercooling to the front like the pro alloy system? (Waterhoses go through the side sills, as I was already planning for my own conversion.)

Does anybody know which size pulley and what kind of injectors (size) are used for the conversions?

#50 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:49 PM

I was considering using a largish heater matrix as a charge cooler rad. Seems to be not a lot of point in have a really large rad when the cooler matrix in the manifold is quite small. But then i plan to mount mine behind the engine bay air inlet grill along with a decent fan/s

Mike

#51 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

I was considering using a largish heater matrix as a charge cooler rad. Seems to be not a lot of point in have a really large rad when the cooler matrix in the manifold is quite small. But then i plan to mount mine behind the engine bay air inlet grill along with a decent fan/s

Mike

The Laminova cooler cores may look small but they reject alot of heat far more than a similar size plate cooler, the main thing to remember is that a roots blower creates alot of heat, far more than a turbo, that you need to get rid of. How big a rad you need will depend on how hard your going to drive the car, if your going to flat out on track most of the time then best go for the proally full size one.
Alternatively you could go for a grill mounted one to start with then monitor inlet temps to see if you get much heat soak, if you do then swap to a full size one later, but the one thing I will say is it really needs to be mounted in the front of the car to get the best cooling flow possible

#52 Mike-F

Mike-F

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:35 PM

Mike

The Laminova cooler cores may look small but they reject alot of heat far more than a similar size plate cooler, the main thing to remember is that a roots blower creates alot of heat, far more than a turbo, that you need to get rid of. How big a rad you need will depend on how hard your going to drive the car, if your going to flat out on track most of the time then best go for the proally full size one.
Alternatively you could go for a grill mounted one to start with then monitor inlet temps to see if you get much heat soak, if you do then swap to a full size one later, but the one thing I will say is it really needs to be mounted in the front of the car to get the best cooling flow possible

Thanks for the advice, I dont really intend tracking it, so would like to try a rear mounted rad first and monitoring the charger cooler temp.

Mike

Edited by Mike-F, 01 August 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#53 thelynxeffect

thelynxeffect

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

Does anybody know which size pulley and what kind of injectors (size) are used for the conversions?

Dunno about the pulley, but mine has turbo injectors.

#54 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

Interesting as I have this annoying engine hesitation at around 3700-3800 RPM (when the 2 additionnal injectors start or stop injecting I guess)

Me too! IIRC Jon reckons it's an ECU learning thing and not the map. :unsure:

#55 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

"Turbo" as in the (standard) injectors of the new Z20LNF engine? Happen to know what flowrate these have?
(Just looking if I can use my standards 2.0LSJ injectors for the conversion..)

Edited by Exmantaa, 02 August 2008 - 09:32 PM.

#56 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

"Turbo" as in the (standard) injectors of the new Z20LNF engine? Happen to know what flowrate these have?
(Just looking if I can use my standards 2.0LSJ injectors for the conversion..)

hmm I assumed Z20LET injectors..
I suppose if we/you are looking to get the mapping done by courtneys, then it's best just to go with the ones they have already used, so we can use their "base" map

I think we're looking at approximately £600 for the bits from courtanay, then £200 for the base map, then however may hours on their dyno at £95/hour.
The bits that are non-courtenay, supercharger + manifold from usa (ebay probably), then the charge cooler radiator, plumbing and pump... depends if you opt for the proalloy stuff which seems overpriced to me, but maybe worth it in the long run.

#57 thelynxeffect

thelynxeffect

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

hmm I assumed Z20LET injectors..

Yeah, sorry, they are Z20LET injectors, and obviously I don't have any flatspots or hesitation, just smooth, constant power all the way from idle.

#58 Yello

Yello

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:02 AM

My version of an AC-delete pulley, just bought an AC-compressor on Ebay for 40$ and went mad with the grinder and drill :rolleyes:
It`s cheap and it is easy to fit

Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

Beautiful work of art!! So the complete LSJ belt layout with the AC pulley will fit in a vx220? Might look into this option also. $40,- ? You got it from the US?

#60 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Cars and tracks :-)
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

Nice... Do you have a more complete reference ?

How big is the pulley ?

And thinking about it... I don't really see how it can be fitted to the current SC setup...

Posted Image

:dry:

Edited by Marco Polo, 09 August 2008 - 07:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger, self fit kit, sc conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users